Rear camera not working - connected to 522GW

Cliveg13

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...I'm trying to install the rear window cam for my 522GW. The main unit is powered by the cigarette lighter socket. It seemed to work initally, but now all I see on the main cam is a blue rectangle box where the rear image should be, and when first powered up the box is white.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It may be where the cable connects at the rear cam. Use some contact cleaner if you have it, if not do an in-and-out a few times with it, making sure it's fully seated then power the cam and see what happens.

Phil

Thanks Phil...it turned out it was user error!! I hadn't pushed in the cable to the rear cam far enough!

Thanks again.

The thanks belong to the 522 users here on DCT who have reported similar problems and the fixes they've found :)

Phil

Hello,

I'm very pleased to hear that the issue is resolved. I'm going to put some basic troubleshooting here for anyone else with similar issues in the future:

1. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

2. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together.

3. Ensure your Dash Cam's Firmware is on the latest version (currently R19.1 [12/01/2021]).

4. Ensure you're using a suitable U3 SD card. I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible U3 SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. For guaranteed functionality and warranty, I'd suggest a Nextbase SD card.

5. Format your SD card. You can re-format the card by two methods;

1) On the Dash Cam Itself
2) On a Computer

1) On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings
d) Go into Setup
e) Click 'Format'
f) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera.
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows) or 'Erase' (Mac)
e) Do not click the 'Quick Format box'. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
f) Follow the instructions.

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

We recommend reformatting the SD card every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Support

Hi

Just need a bit of help from any one out there who can help I have nextbast 522gw with rear view camera the front camera works fine but as soon as I plug the rear camera in the dash cam turns off and wont come back on

Hi

Just need a bit of help from any one out there who can help I have nextbast 522gw with rear view camera the front camera works fine but as soon as I plug the rear camera in the dash cam turns off and wont come back on
Hey William welcome to the forum, in my experience with the 322gw and rear cam you should have the rear camera insterted before powering on then turn your power source for the camera on whether it be 12v or hardwire

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this i hard wired this in on Saturday after getting it on friday but as i tried it out the front comes on and starts up fine on it own but if i plug the rear in it won't turn on i have tried to plug the rear in before the power is turned on and it wont turn on and it i turn the front on and it is working as soon as i plug the rear in it turns off im going out of my mind trying to work it out.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this i hard wired this in on Saturday after getting it on friday but as i tried it out the front comes on and starts up fine on it own but if i plug the rear in it won't turn on i have tried to plug the rear in before the power is turned on and it wont turn on and it i turn the front on and it is working as soon as i plug the rear in it turns off im going out of my mind trying to work it out.
sounds like you need to contact nextbase or bring it to the retailer you purchased it from

Hi

Hi William,

Which rear camera module do you have please? The Rear Window Camera, the Rear View Camera or the Cabin Camera please? I can then assist further.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi William,

Which rear camera module do you have please? The Rear Window Camera, the Rear View Camera or the Cabin Camera please? I can then assist further.

Kind regards,
Millie
I’m having the same problem. Front camera is fine. If I put rear in the camera turns on for a few seconds then changes to lines of death!

I’m having the same problem. Front camera is fine. If I put rear in the camera turns on for a few seconds then changes to lines of death!
Hi Dot,

Which rear camera module do you have please? The Rear Window Camera, the Rear View Camera or the Cabin Camera please?

Kind regards,
Millie

The rear view camera. I’m thinking I need a bigger SD card. Only have Nextbase 32g but with the rear camera as well I might need 64g minimum???

Hi Dot,

The 64GB would be better, however both cams should work simultaneously on the 32GB. I would recommend the following:

1. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please plug in the rear camera. Then turn on the front camera. Does it now start normally? Can you now see the rear camera image or do you still have lines?

2. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

Kind regards,
Millie

I also am having the same issue with the rear window camera with the 522gw, all connections are secure and correctly seated and cleaned.
Firmware version is R19.9
Using u3 128gb sd card
Works fine if I attach the rear view module but not with the ball style camera.

I also am having the same issue with the rear window camera with the 522gw, all connections are secure and correctly seated and cleaned.
Firmware version is R19.9
Using u3 128gb sd card
Works fine if I attach the rear view module but not with the ball style camera.
Hello,

This is likely to either be a problem with the connecting cable or the rear camera itself. I would definitely recommend the above steps to clean and check the rear connector. If this doesn't work, then I'd recommend a replacement rear camera cable as the first troubleshooting step.
If you are within warranty, please send me a private message with a copy of your rear camera receipt and I can get a new cable dispatched to you.
If you are outside of warranty, a replacement rear camera cable can be purchased here: https://nextbaseparts.co.uk/collections/rear-window-camera

Kind regards,
Millie

Back