522GW wont auto power on for days

ST09

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need help troubleshooting my troubled 522GW dash cam. Recently it has stopped switching power on automatically. I have to manually switch it on everytime i get in the car even when parking mode is set to on. The camera is Live Hardwired. I also checked the hardwiring whilst the car was static and in motion the blue light kept flickering on the hardwire. Ive even tried to resolve the problem by plugging the wiring direct into cam instead of gps mount but still no joy. Been using Sandisk High Endurance 128G sd card without any issues. Spoke with Nextbase support and they advised me to get Nextbase sd card and then try troubleshooting the problem which in my opinion is poor response. Dashcam had worked flawlessly since Jan 2020. The longest it went on without auto powering on was 5 days. Ive even set motion sensor to high to trigger it to come on but no joy. Im out of ideas and i hope someone on here can help me please.

Thanks
Sal

Last edited:
Update: Took the dashcam off from the car tonight. Uninstalled the sd card and plugged it into wall socket (not through GPS mount) for 3 hours. The blue charging light goes after a minute or so. Left the dashcam charging whilst turned off. After 3 hours switched it on (without sd card) and dashcam only showing one bar and after a minute or so one bar drops to empty battery and message appears battery low and the dashcam goes off. I even re installed the new firmware manually. Did factor reset and yet this is happening. Unit was bought on 06/02/2020 from Currys UK and is out of warranty. Really pissed off that nextbase selling low standard products. Going to ring support tomorrow and see what they say.

Hello,

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, the battery may require replacing.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, the battery may require replacing.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,

Thanks for your reply. Done that already. Unplugged all including sd card. Left to charge for 3 hours via wall socket. The blue light goes off after 1 minute. Took it off charge after 3 hours and the battery is still flat.

Spoke with CS over the phone this morning. They want me to send in for battery replacement and charge me for it. Dashcam is only 1 and Half Year old and thats really poor. Disappointed and Annoyed.

On top they want me to purchase nextbase card for £65 to do further test when my Sandisk High Endurance (which i tested again) is in perfect condition and have been working fine since the beginning.

Sal

Hi Sal,

As the camera is now outside of the warranty period, we can provide a new battery for you directly and we offer two battery services. I've provided the details below:

To minimise the time you have to spend apart from your camera, we can send you a battery for £10 with free postage and packaging. This option is only available to mainland UK delivery addresses due to transportation limitations.

The battery replacement process is relatively straight forward and usually takes between 15/20 minutes to complete, but does require some soldering. I can provide the instructions via email.

Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable with the replacing the battery yourself, we can get the camera booked in for repair for £31.20. The average turn around for repairs is between 7-10 working days.

Kind regards,
Millie

Showing as charging but no blue light. Thats only been plugged in for max 10mins.
AC9DC50D-A2F9-4115-B50F-4A40106B70E8.jpeg

Back