70mai A800 4K dashcam

Download International firmware 1.0.6ww:

How to:
  1. Format the memory card in the DVR.
  2. Remove the memory card. The DVR will turn off. Do not disconnect the charger.
  3. insert the memory card into the PC and delete all contents from the memory card. Not format.
  4. Copy the contents of the firmware archive to the root of the memory card. All eight files from the archive must be located in the root of the memory card.
  5. insert the memory card with the firmware into the DVR, press the far-right button and the power button. Hold 2 buttons until the arrow appears in English.Now you can let go.
  6. Went the flashing process.
  7. after flashing, a green check mark should appear and the DVR will turn off. Firmware is complete. Turn on the DVR with the power button.

Good luck!
what to do if it's always show update fail.

anyone can help me.

I tried to update firmware from the CN version to English but it fails & now I can't use my A800 because it keeps the show "update fail"
any solution for me

anyone can help me.

I tried to update firmware from the CN version to English but it fails & now I can't use my A800 because it keeps the show "update fail"
any solution for me
Try the other "Full" firmwares.

Could also be a card issue. Try a different card as well.

So I think I either got a fake 70mai A800 or a defective one. The quality of the video is super not 4k. I suspect the poor quality might be either the compression settings they chose that are creating a super blurry with lots of artifacts videos, or again that maybe I got a bad one or a fake one. I Bought mine from Aliexpress from the official 70mai store, I used the link at 70mai's website to get to the Aliexpress store, so I'm leaning towards that I maybe got a bad one.

I have a Viofo A129 Pro and the quality is 10 time or even more compared to the 70mai dashcam that I got. At night the the A800 performs very poor and it basically doesn't record any licenses plates or even street signs. The license plate are not recorded because of all the blurriness and artifacts in the image. Thinking it was the video compression they are using I tried to switch from h265 to h264 but they disabled 4K recording for some reason using the H264 codec.

Also I noticed that the A800 has like a small image flicker or glitch every seconds. As if it was dropping a frame every seconds due to the processor switching to doing something else.

I'm using a Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance sd card and the dashcam is at the latest firmware version 1.0.6ww.

The rear camera also produces really poor image quality. I was expecting it to have a poor image given all the reviews I have read online, but wow I was not expecting it to be that low quality. It looks like it was recorded by a 90's PC webcam at 480 or less resolutions.

The Viofo A129 Pro is miles ahead of this 70mai A800. One tip to 70main is that they should protect the lens of the camera in the packaging. Mine did not had anything covering it except for the plastic bag the cameras was in, I kind of wonder if all the blurriness is from micro scratches that the lens might have gotten during shipping.

Will wait for the next firmware update to see if there are any improvements, otherwise very likely going to sell this and get another Viofo. Either the A119v3 or another A129 Pro.

So I think I either got a fake 70mai A800 or a defective one. The quality of the video is super not 4k. I suspect the poor quality might be either the compression settings they chose that are creating a super blurry with lots of artifacts videos, or again that maybe I got a bad one or a fake one. I Bought mine from Aliexpress from the official 70mai store, I used the link at 70mai's website to get to the Aliexpress store, so I'm leaning towards that I maybe got a bad one.

I was just about to ask the same. Video quality is extremely poor, so it can't be isolated incidences. Got from 70mai "official store“, so unless the store is fake too. Anyone else got an idea?

Can anyone upload some day/night RAW videos of A800 on a host site?

Can anyone upload some day/night RAW videos of A800 on a host site?

Attached are footage of 4K+1080p, 2K+1080p and they are equally bad. 4K single cam is slightly better but not by much. Back cam is terrible beyond wildest imagination.

Duo 3840 Front,1080 Back
Duo 2844 Front, 1080 Back
Single 3840 Front Only
Back 1080p

I decided taking the plunge because Xiaomi is an established brand and A800 is highly praised by dashcamtalk, but looks like we have all been had. It's so bad I start to think this is beyond firmware, could be a bait and switch on hardware, right from the manufacturer and 70mai's "official store".

All this time, I have been a defender of "Made in China", trying to convince people if you can find the right product from a reliable source, you should be fine. But looks like I'm still too young too simple.

And sorry to @wbs3333 , I was the guy on the other site get you into this mess. Lesson learned!

Thank you.
About you said: quality is directly proportional with bitrate, optics and exposure. 70mai uses low bitrate, average optics (awful for the rear camera) and weird exposure settings. They are, for now, pioneers in dashcams, maybe in a few years they'll make remarcable cameras...

Last edited:
Attached are footage of 4K+1080p, 2K+1080p and they are equally bad. 4K single cam is slightly better but not by much. Back cam is terrible beyond wildest imagination.

Duo 3840 Front,1080 Back
Duo 2844 Front, 1080 Back
Single 3840 Front Only
Back 1080p

I decided taking the plunge because Xiaomi is an established brand and A800 is highly praised by dashcamtalk, but looks like we have all been had. It's so bad I start to think this is beyond firmware, could be a bait and switch on hardware, right from the manufacturer and 70mai's "official store".

All this time, I have been a defender of "Made in China", trying to convince people if you can find the right product from a reliable source, you should be fine. But looks like I'm still too young too simple.

And sorry to @wbs3333 , I was the guy on the other site get you into this mess. Lesson learned!

This video quality is worse than other A800 videos. The 3840 ones are picking up details (you can see the license plates of cars passing) but it is not top notch, particularly the colors.
The back one looks poor. It was never great to start but this video looks poor and has a yellowish tinge. Are your windows tinted?

You can try tilting the camera a bit lower to get less sky to see if that helps.

It is possible 70mai changed something on the latest batch.

Here is a recent youtube video (recorded yesterday)...has that similar yellow tinge from your video but note that even in the compressed youtube video you can make out the license plates of many oncoming cars. So it is picking up the details but the colors appear to be off. Could be the way the camera is handling bright sunlight.

This video quality is worse than other A800 videos. The 3840 ones are picking up details (you can see the license plates of cars passing) but it is not top notch, particularly the colors.
The back one looks poor. It was never great to start but this video looks poor and has a yellowish tinge. Are your windows tinted?

You can try tilting the camera a bit lower to get less sky to see if that helps.

There's no window tint on my car. I can try pointing down next time, was also considering adding a bottom shield to reduce glare. I'm not very handy, so can't really take it apart to verify hardware inside. I only drive on weekend, so would be a while before I report back.

Glad to see our community is still alive. Don't think vendor would do anything, just hope we could help others avoiding the same mistake.

Can't tell if front is any better, back is just as horrible. After after some back and forth with brand reputation and Made in China and all, they asked for pictures of serial no, production date, etc., and promised to follow up ... or maybe just to shut me up with illusion of hope.

Only thing left I can think of is blocking the entire top/bottom sections, maybe that can reduce the load on encoding?

Front tilting down
Back same terrible

This front footage doesn't look so bad. But, it's right, I saw much better looking ones taken with this A800.

Hi everyone,
I´Ve bought A800 set wit rear camery and card from this Ali: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqDir53
Everything came OK, I used to use 70mai pro before so wiring was prepared. But this A800 drives me mad fw version os V1.0.6ww.
I installed the camera inserted the card, enable wifi, enable recording, test drive .... everything is fine. Next day morning after car startup.... wow the camera is nor recording automaticaly...why I touch the button and camera starts... Why. Next run camera starts automaticaly...red light is blinking...and it seemed to work fine...after 2 daay I have checked the album and foung that only first 3 minutes are recorded...then nothing eventhough the red dot is blinking all the time...
And after stop the survilence video is stored...but the camera says that it is impossible to turn this option on in the menu.
Can somebody help me? What to do downgrade the fw? Change the card?

Did you format the card in the cam before using? Card issues are the most common so always try this first,

Phil

Yes,... both possible ways camera and app. And no change...today I bought Samsung EVO plus 128GB card and still the same not recording eventhough the red dot o blinking on the display

Last edited:
According to the well-known Dashcam Seller from Thailand, 70mai A800 was discontinued due to the price hike of chipsets, especially HiSilicon SoC.

70mai will source SoC from another company and name the new revision A800S for clarity. Specs except SoC should stay the same and rear cam of A800 should compatible with A800S.

Whether video quality or price of A800S will stay the same or not we would need to wait and see. (I think it will increase, other brands in Thailand saw price increases already)

https://fccid.io/2AOK9-A800S

Last edited:
what to do if it's always show update fail.
I did the same upgrade from CN to 1.0.6ww:.
How to:
  1. Format the memory card in the DVR.
  2. Remove the memory card. The DVR will turn off. Do not disconnect the charger.
  3. insert the memory card into the PC and delete all contents from the memory card. Not format.
  4. Copy the contents of the firmware archive to the root of the memory card. All eight files from the archive must be located in the root of the memory card.
  5. insert the memory card with the firmware into the DVR, press the far-right button and the power button. Hold 2 buttons until the arrow appears in English.Now you can let go.
  6. Went the flashing process.
  7. after flashing, a green check mark should appear and the DVR will turn off. Firmware is complete. Turn on the DVR with the power button.

Last edited:
Back