A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Terrible that he should have to replace one on a few day old cam.

Last edited:
Terrible that he should have to replace one on a few day old cam.

Similar happened to me with one of G1W I bought bunch of them over year ago from few different re-sellers ( different prices ). One model battery lasted only a few days, others working fine.
Trouble is that there are few trading companies out there who already has this so called Tiesfong B40 model ( and I am sure many more to come soon ) and it's all depend on how good quality parts they are using. Outside maybe look the same, but inside some parts can be different quality.

Mine probably came from different place and it works fine already 1.5 month, however I dont drive a lot, maybe 1 hour per day and we dont get here constant very hot weather.

I am sure @FoxOffer guys will address this battery issue to their supplier and will take care of having good quality stock. They have been always very helpful to customers.

Don't forget that some time even with high-end premium class products which have very little RMA can happen some faults, so I guess it's just a luck.

I agree. Not even premium products are immune to recall.

I think that the battery of my A118 has burned because of high temperature.
Today we had 35°C.
It is strange because my 0803 is still alive...

I've all my last files corrupted (when I turn off the key of the car).
It appears that the battery does not charging any more.
I can't turn on the dashcam, it shuts down immediately, even if power is connected.

But, if I plug the power, the dashcam starts and records as long as I need, but last file is corrupted...

Is is possible to replace the battery by a super-capacitor on this model ?
Try to charger via computer for 10 mins, if the camera can last 2 to 5 mins without charger connected, I think battery is OK.
If the camera can not be powered on even after long time charging, the battery is defective, we will ship a new battery to you.
Checked with manufacture, it can not used capacitor for this camera.

Was wondering on the len's question that Marine asked before. Did you only put it on because it was rotated all the way and was still not high enough or is it because it was loose all around?

Checked with manufacture, it can not used capacitor for this camera.
Even if I take a supersized capacitor (for more capacity) and place it outside of the unit ?

Try to charger via computer for 10 mins, if the camera can last 2 to 5 mins without charger connected, I think battery is OK.
If the camera can not be powered on even after long time charging, the battery is defective, we will ship a new battery to you.
Thanks for testing tips.

In fact, this morning I've used the A118 as if there was no problem (27°C outside).
The battery has charged during driving, about 3 hours with some pauses.
During this time, the camera has worked properly, no files were corrupted at each car stop.

Then, I have unplugged the camera, started it without external power, and started recording with screen ON (no screensaver)
The battery has lasted exactly 29 minutes, and the camera has shutdown. :)

So, I'm sorry if I have killed a bit the reputation of the A118. :oops:

In fact, it is great that this camera has survived to overheating conditions.
Remember that when the battery was empty, the camera was still working correctly, has only corrupted each last file at car stop.

I guess that there should be a thermal sensor inside the camera which stops charging the battery when temperature is too high. Can someone confirm this ? @billknow ?

So, when overheating, the camera has still recorded, but not charged the battery at all, because of overheat for a long time.

I had placed the camera at the rear of my Kangoo, as shown on the last video review.
This zone of the car has no air conditioned, so it was very hot inside.

As a conclusion, I just have to say that the A118 has passed the overheating test with success :D

Sorry again to have pointed out a non-issue.
A118 is just perfect !

Was wondering on the len's question that Marine asked before. Did you only put it on because it was rotated all the way and was still not high enough or is it because it was loose all around?
It is a little lose between each click as I show in the first review, but it is not an issue if you use the camera on a certain angle of windscreen or rear window.
But, on my Kangoo and Berlingo, the rear window is near vertical. In this position, the lens does not stay in place, it seems that the cable lens is too short so it make a spring effect. That's why I have blocked the lens up, to have a perfect point of view of the road behind me.

In fact, this morning I've used the A118 as if there was no problem (27°C outside).
The battery has charged during driving, about 3 hours with some pauses.
During this time, the camera has worked properly, no files were corrupted at each car stop.

Then, I have unplugged the camera, started it without external power, and started recording with screen ON (no screensaver)
The battery has lasted exactly 29 minutes, and the camera has shutdown. :)

In fact, it is great that this camera has survived to overheating conditions.
Remember that when the battery was empty, the camera was still working correctly, has only corrupted each last file at car stop.

So, when overheating, the camera has still recorded, but not charged the battery at all, because of overheat for a long time.

I had placed the camera at the rear of my Kangoo, as shown on the last video review.
This zone of the car has no air conditioned, so it was very hot inside.

As a conclusion, I just have to say that the A118 has passed the overheating test with success :D

Sorry again to have pointed out a non-issue.
A118 is just perfect !
There is a thermal overload protection circuit for the battery on this model.
So, after the 'bad news day' yesterday, today is a 'good news day' for the A118!:)

Looking at the footage and the DVR package I'm quite impressed.;)

Last edited:
There is a thermal overload protection circuit for the battery on this model
OK, that explains the behaviour. All is clear now.

The mainboard is not designed to work with capacitors
What do you mean by "not designed" ?
Is a special charging circuit necessary to work with capacitors ?
What will happen if I replace the battery by a capacitor ?
Will it damage something or just not keep not enough charge to save files properly after cutting power source ?

Thanks for sharing testing result, tomorrow I will also test about the overheating problem, I will put it outside for recording, it is very hot in Shenzhen now.

Thanks for sharing testing result, tomorrow I will also test about the overheating problem, I will put it outside for recording, it is very hot in Shenzhen now.
You're welcome.
I think you'd better have to test inside a non-air conditioned car.

Go on, make me feel jealous.... exactly how hot is it in Shenzhen at the moment??

We have pretty nice wether too at the moment :) 19 lowest and 26 highest right now, clear blue sky, and above my personal minimum temperature of 20 deg C
Hope the weather in France hold for the big race next weekend, and hope Mr Le Mans win again, and the other Dane ( Big Mag ) in the Corvette.

I think if billknow put the camera in direct sun where there is Little to no Wind it will get cooked enuff to trigger termal shutdown.

The lipo scare is sad, i use to get my batteries shipped here from the whole World, seem like thats not a option any longer. :(

My rear A118 works great as licence plate reading and also as.... face reading !! :D:D

face_reading.png

Hey Chris,

Place the camera in the Kangoo .....Pouch lol :)

Back