A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Would the Transcend 200 fit the bill? My understanding is that it has Wi-Fi and an app for your tablet or smart phone that permits live-streaming.

Would the Transcend 200 fit the bill? My understanding is that it has Wi-Fi and an app for your tablet or smart phone that permits live-streaming.
please explain your question in relation to B40 / A118 ?

The FW for GPS version still need bug fixed, it is better to wait for more days. Once it is ready, we will try to get some GPS modules in stock.

The FW for GPS version still need bug fixed, it is better to wait for more days. Once it is ready, we will try to get some GPS modules in stock.

Thanks.
Will you post back here when the firmware is fixed and GPS units are available?
Also - any idea on what the approximate charge for a gps unit will be?

I'm sure they'll let you know once available, GPS is same style as the Shadow ones so I'd expect the pricing would be similar

please explain your question in relation to B40 / A118 ?
Niko - sorry, this was meant to be a reply to pewe in relation to using a carcam as a reversing camera.

Not sure - I had a look at their manual and spec and it only talks about 'live streaming' using wifi to a 'device' and 'playback' using video out.
At the moment I don't have a smartphone/tablet to use in the car, although having one would be useful I guess.
I will investigate further - thanks for the heads up.

Wow they don't mess around, I see they added the latest DCT review video and photos.
Foxoffer has asked me, I've given them authorisation to use my video and picture.

Me again - sorry for all the questions. Can the A118 screen be turned off whilst driving? Just read on here that in the UK we cannot have a visible screen? Also do you have yours plugged into your cigarette lighter or is it hardwired? Thanks again :)

Me again - sorry for all the questions. Can the A118 screen be turned off whilst driving? Just read on here that in the UK we cannot have a visible screen? Also do you have yours plugged into your cigarette lighter or is it hardwired? Thanks again :)
LCD screen has timer switch off settings: never, 1min, 3min.

yes can be also hardwired if you wish so.

Whilst looking to buy 64GB & 32GB memory cards on Amazon in readiness for the arrival of my A118 from FoxOffer, I read a very interesting review from an Amazon customer on 'Buying Sandisk cards from marketplace and Amazon direct'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3Q3...deID=1345741031&store=electronics-accessories

I ordered, by the way:
- 'SanDisk SDSDQU-064G-FFP Ultra 64 GB Class 10 Micro SD Card with SD Adapter' (£28.13) and
- 'Samsung 32GB Class 10 Grade 1 48MB/s Micro SDHC Plus Memory Card with MicroSD Adapter' (£15.65)

Also in readiness, in case the cam hasn't the latest firmware; can someone advise on how to do a firmware upgrade on the A118?

Whilst looking to buy 64GB & 32GB memory cards on Amazon in readiness for the arrival of my A118 from FoxOffer, I read a very interesting review from an Amazon customer on 'Buying Sandisk cards from marketplace and Amazon direct'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3Q3...deID=1345741031&store=electronics-accessories

I ordered, by the way:
- 'SanDisk SDSDQU-064G-FFP Ultra 64 GB Class 10 Micro SD Card with SD Adapter' (£28.13) and
- 'Samsung 32GB Class 10 Grade 1 48MB/s Micro SDHC Plus Memory Card with MicroSD Adapter' (£15.65)

Also in readiness, in case the cam hasn't the latest firmware; can someone advise on how to do a firmware upgrade on the A118?

FW upgrade is standard on all Novatek based dashcams:

1. connect dashcam to powersource ( in car or at hone via mini usb )
2. switch off dashcam.
3. erase all data from microsd or formatt card
4. copy new FW to memory card root
5. insert microsd with new FW into dashcam
6. power on dashcam
... updating begins, REC LED will be flashing. When update is done, REC LED stops flashing.

Done.

Last firmware and process are in the first post ;)

Just read on here that in the UK we cannot have a visible screen? :)

I wouldn't worry too much but the regulation actually bans any screen which can be turned on and viewed whilst driving - ie when the ignition is on the screen must be disabled automatically. Because the user has control over turning the camera screens on or off - they come under banned items (technically).
Here's the wording of the regulation
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 No. 1078 PART IV F Regulation 109 - it states:

109. (1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer. "

Remember the DVD players which would not accept a disc whilst the ignition was on?:rolleyes:

But as I say - I wouldn't worry about it. The general consensus appears to be that police. insurance companies and motor/road safety organisations welcome the use of car cameras so it's unlikely anyone would prosecute (apart from lawyers defending anyone your videos are helping to prosecute) - although technically they could.:eek:

Last edited:
Chris, I am just new here and saw your video with the camera mounted in the back window of your work van. You mentioned that you see the metal grid because it is about 2mm off the face of the glass. I would suggest you try a foam 'donut' between the lens and the glass to eliminate the reflection. I have played with cams of all sorts for a number of years and found you need to make the glass you are shooting through an adopted part of the lens by attempting to eliminate stray, reflected light between the window and the lens. My apology to anyone who has already mentioned this as I did not read all the prior pages.

I especially like the mounting system of this A118 cam. Cheers.

Jim

Hi
I don't own this camera but I'm planning to order one. I have few questions about memory cards.
1. Is there any benefit of using a UHS-I or is it best to use just class 10 card.
2. Some users posted that 64 GB card works with this camera. Can you format them in camera or do you have to format them into FAT 32 on PC.

Back