A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

the adhesive on the main mount (thin gray 3m tape - looked to be about 1mm thick) is no good and will have to be replaced. .
Probably the windscreen was not cleaned properly before mounting the dashcam. I've had no problem with the grey adhesive.

i've had problems with stuff sticking to painted areas of glass before (dots, stripes, solid black) before - namely window tint film - and a good roughing up with a razor blade or even scrubbing with a green kitchen scrub pad (DRY) fixed it every time. it doesn't remove the dots but it gives them some texture so the tint or tape has something to stick to. i may just try roughing it up, re-cleaning and just re-sticking with the existing adhesive. if that fails, i'll replace the tape and try again, and won't put the camera on the mount till tomorrow. it's been very humid here lately with all this rain immediately followed by sunshine, so that could have affected it sticking last night too. i may even put a heat gun on the glass before sticking to make sure the glass is completely dry.

edit: one other thing i may do is to shave down the back of the power plug itself. because it goes into the camera at an angle, the back of the plug pushes against the wire cover. if the wire cover was not there, it would have a little more space to move and may only just touch the windshield, but with the wire cover in place, it puts a fair bit of pressure on it, and that may be compounding the problem with the adhesive. worst case i'll cut a notch into the wire cover to give the plug plenty of room.

when i mounted the F70 in my own car, i never did the press-and-hold method jokiin mentions. i just put the mount on the camera, peeled the backing, and stuck it to the glass. but then my car doesn't have dots - it has the blue tint inside the glass itself, so naturally it will stick better anyway.

Last edited:
i actually have some adhesion promoter... forgot al about that. and like i said, heat gun should help too.

been out of the installer game too long. i used to install alarms, dvds, stereos, spoilers, pinstripe, and loads of other accessories for a living up till about 7 years ago. still have most of the tools but i'm a little out of practice.

Last week I started using A118 camera. I think there's a problem with g sensor. I watched the video in the program can not see g sensor data (I can use Registrator viewer) Camera was built G sensor. But I cant see the g sensor datas graphic in video player. Is that a problem, or is it normal ?
(sory my english :) )

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-07-18 11.05.49.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-07-18 11.05.49.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19
The G-Sensor output is used to automatically write protect files when triggered, the data is not logged though, this is normal for this model

Will G-sensor informations be logged as soon as GPS module will be available ?

Is this something that could be added in a future firmware? if not logged then at least put it on the display alongside the time and date. I've seen some dash cam videos on YouTube that had live data from the accelerometer in all three axes displayed at the bottom. That could be very cool in my race car!

HEY my vid is in the homepage review lol. Anyway, my cam stopped working on continuous loop. I tried all the loop minute settings no good. Sometimes she records, sometimes she does not. The red led blinking light is worthless. You cannot tell it is recording when the screen is not on. I am looking for another one to mount and use this in the rear window. If you hit me from behind, 99 percent of the time you are at fault anyway.

yep I even have the same 32 card as Chris. Again the red led should have a purpose except just blink all day long.

i do think it's odd how the REC light goes solid when you STOP recording. imho it should turn off. i haven't used our a118 enough to fill up the 32gb card yet but i have it set to 3 minutes. will check to see if it's recycling some time next week after the car's been driven more.

It goes solid for the rec light shown on the screen itself when it stops recording. Its the LED red light that keeps blinking whether or not it is recording or not. That is the odd part. You cannot tell it is truly recording unless you hit any button momentarily to activate the screen. It is awkward to say the least as it is a small screen and I need glasses to see it anyway. My other dashcam red led light blinks when it is truly recording and does not when it is not recording. This cam has a power LED so what gives lol This is a Silly thing but annoying and not thought out imho..

what firmware is yours running? mine's on b40.20140523.001 (came preloaded - i haven't tried to flash it to anything different).

here's how mine works: with power disconnected, if i press power, it boots up and is not recording. the REC light is off, but power and MIC are on. if i press the REC button, REC starts flashing, and the red dot starts flashing in the top bar on screen. if i press REC again, the dot disappears from the screen, and the REC light goes on solid.

plugged in in the car, when i turn on the car, it starts recording and REC is flashing in addition to the red dot flashing on screen. if i press rec button to stop it, the rec light goes on solid and red dot disappears from screen. to me, it seems like when you're not recording, the REC LED should be completely off, not on solid. behavior is reverse of the expected.

in my installation, i can't see the screen unless i practically stand up in the car (or move the mirror), since the camera's screen is completely behind the mirror. i can just barely see the three LEDs above the top edge of the mirror, and that's how i can tell whether it's recording.

Last edited:
Same as yours. However, the RED LED light blinks all the time whether it is recording or not. . NOT the one on the screen itself.

The unit is the same with the red dot as yours.

Since I cannot tell when it it is recording or not I will get another and use this one as a rear cam. Not worth the hassle shipping back to HK.

Last edited:
Back