A119 Firmware

"Please upgrade the loader first, then upgrade the new firmware" What does that mean?

@AndrewL posted an excellent video tutorial on updating the Viofo A119 firmware (and uploader) that I think you'll find helpful.

You'll find the thread with his video HERE.

Last edited:
So who's going to take the plunge first then :)

I updated my A119 to firmware 2.02 with no issues. As noted on VIOFO's website, it is not necessary to upgrade the "Loader" if it already has firmware 2.0. This makes it much easier 1-step process, since a computer is not needed. If you need to update the "Loader" first, then you will need a computer, then the firmware (2-steps).

I am happy to report that the Image Rotation bug is fixed!

I am using a 128Gb memory card now, does it mean I have to use another memory card to do this firmware upgrade? (I do not have a 32GB memory card).

If I have a 16GB or 32GB card after installed the firmware, can I re-use my 128GB memory card?

I read the VIOFO instructions, my dash cam firmware version is 2.0. However, I do not understand what do they mean "Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait more seconds......"? (bolded)

In step 2, the camera with the formatted memory card already connected to the computer using the USB cable, does it mean after step 7, I have to disconnect the USB cable and re-connect the cable again?

Please advise thanks.

You need to use a 32GB card or less for the firmware update, premsuably because it expects it to be FAT32.

If you already have v2.0 all you have to do is follow step 7. Once the firmware is on the root of your SD car then simply put it back in the camera and power on, no need to reconnect the camera to the computer.

You need to use a 32GB card or less for the firmware update, premsuably because it expects it to be FAT32.

If you already have v2.0 all you have to do is follow step 7. Once the firmware is on the root of your SD car then simply put it back in the camera and power on, no need to reconnect the camera to the computer.

Do you mean the 32GB or less memory card is used as a "temporary" tool to update the firmware to the dash cam? Once it is updated, I can re-use my 128GB memory card?

Do you mean the 32GB or less memory card is used as a "temporary" tool to update the firmware to the dash cam? Once it is updated, I can re-use my 128GB memory card?

You can use any spare card or the 128GB one you're currently using.

Always format the card using the format option in the camera's menu and reset to defaults after any firmware update.

You can use any spare card or the 128GB one you're currently using.

Always format the card using the format option in the camera's menu and reset to defaults after any firmware update.

I am a bit confused now because the Viofo and the member above mentioned to use 32GB or less memory card to update the firmware.

I assume after the firmware is updated, it will store in the dashcam unit.

When I finished using the 32GB or less memory to copy the file, I will reset the dash cam to the default setting.

The existing 128GB will not need to format because it is already format before the firmware is updated?

That's because normally with new versions of Windows OS, there's no option to format a card greater than 32GB as FAT32.

The .BIN firmware file is deleted from the SD card once the update is successfully completed.

You don't need to format the 128GB card but it's recommended to do in-camera formats once in a while to reset the file allocation tables, hence the 'format warning' feature.

Last edited:
That's because normally with new versions of Windows OS, there's no option to format a card greater than 32GB as FAT32.

The .BIN firmware file is deleted from the SD card once the update is successfully completed.

You don't need to format the 128GB card but it's recommended to do in-camera formats once in a while to reset the file allocation tables.

Oh I see. I am using Window 10, let me try it tonite.

So what you are saying is I can use the 128GB card instead of the 32GB or less to update the firmware right?

Anyway, thanks.

Oh I see. I am using Window 10, let me try it tonite.

So what you are saying is I can use the 128GB card instead of the 32GB or less to update the firmware right?

Anyway, thanks.

Yes, as it's already FAT32 if formatted in the camera earlier.

Yes, as it's already FAT32 if formatted in the camera earlier.

Ok thanks. I am not very good about the computer stuff.

As you said, I will use my existing 128 card to finish the firmware update.

Do format the card using the camera's format option once completed and reset to defaults.

Do format the card using the camera's format option once completed and reset to defaults.

I just did some quick research regarding the FAT32, you are right the FAT32 is only applicable up to 32GB memory card, other higher than this 32GB, it will be the EXFAT.

So, for my 128gb card, you are saying insert my 128gb card to the dashcam using "FORMAT" button (re-format the card - - - > clean / erase all files) and download the latest firmware file (.bin file) from Viofo using the computer, then insert the format 128gb card to the computer.

Next copy the file to the card (root of the card), then put it back in the camera and power on, no need to reconnect the camera to the computer.

Turn the Power button on and let the dash cam update the firmware (for a couple of minutes I assume), THEN RESET THE DASHCAM TO DEFAULT.

After this, I can customize the setting that I desired.

Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

there is no need to reformat a SD card when this SD cad is already formatted and readable by the dashcam, you have just to put in your current SD card the firmware file, in the root of the SD card,

and you can use your 64 or 128 Gb sd card for the firmware flash procedure, as long as your dashcam can read your sd card then all will be Ok,

I managed to use my 128 Gb card ( formated by my dashcam ) in order to flash to the firmware 2.0 version

I just did some quick research regarding the FAT32, you are right the FAT32 is only applicable up to 32GB memory card, other higher than this 32GB, it will be the EXFAT.

So, for my 128gb card, you are saying insert my 128gb card to the dashcam using "FORMAT" button (re-format the card - - - > clean / erase all files) and download the latest firmware file (.bin file) from Viofo using the computer, then insert the format 128gb card to the computer.

Next copy the file to the card (root of the card), then put it back in the camera and power on, no need to reconnect the camera to the computer.

Turn the Power button on and let the dash cam update the firmware (for a couple of minutes I assume), THEN RESET THE DASHCAM TO DEFAULT.

Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

Correct.

For formatting cards larger than 32GB on the computer to FAT32, use this - FAT32-Formatter - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6chif890npunjo1/FAT32-Formatter.rar?dl=0

there is no need to reformat a SD card when this SD cad is already formatted and readable by the dashcam, you have just to put in your current SD card the firmware file, in the root of the SD card,

and you can use your 64 or 128 Gb sd card for the firmware flash procedure, as long as your dashcam can read your sd card then all will be Ok

I really cannot remember what is the format of my 128GB memory card when I am using the dashcam from day 1.

If this procedure (skip the SD card reformatting), this will make my life more easier.

So, what you are saying is after I copied the .bin file to the root of the card, I just turn the "power button" on and let it run the firmware.

After it is completed, I just RESET THE DASHCAM TO DEFAULT.

Back