A119 Firmware

I have a question about GPS. Is it possible to improve the GPS response in some new firmware? In all records, the speed indicator (ie gps) is delayed by up to 5 seconds.

For example, the car stopped, but the speed still drops another 5sec from 30km/h to 0km/h (by 2-10km/h per sec). The same in acceleration or start-up. When I accelerate to 50 km/h, then I drive a steady speed. but the record shows 30 km/h (before accelerate) and slowly jumps up (again with a delay of about 3-5sec)

Is this a firmware problem (so do you have it too?) Or is it a bug of my gps module? This "problem" I noticed immediately after the purchase (almost a year)

I have a question about GPS.... In all records, the speed indicator (ie gps) is delayed by up to 5 seconds.... Is this a firmware problem (so do you have it too?) Or is it a bug of my gps module?..

I see it too and others have reported it. Suspect it is normal for the A119. Not sure what the problem is or if it can be improved.

Last edited:
For example, the car stopped, but the speed still drops another 5sec from 30km/h to 0km/h (by 2-10km/h per sec). The same in acceleration or start-up. When I accelerate to 50 km/h, then I drive a steady speed. but the record shows 30 km/h (before accelerate) and slowly jumps up (again with a delay of about 3-5sec)

that's normally an indicator of poor signal strength, could be other electronics in the car, outside conditions etc

that's normally an indicator of poor signal strength, could be other electronics in the car, outside conditions etc
So then it has to be a very bad antenna in the gps module. Or badly written time to rewrite the new record. Does it only capture GPS or even a glonass?

Mobile (LG G2) in same location finds an average of 18 (9 + 9) satellites with an accuracy of 10 meters (speed + -50km / h). When I turn off the glonass, it finds an average of 8 satellites with an accuracy of 20 meters (speed + -50 km / h). And all without agps. However, even if there is a very bad connection and finds a very small satellite it is still possible to keep the speed equal to max in 1sec.

So do not tell me anything about bad weather or car when other equipment works without any problems.

So do not tell me anything about bad weather or car when other equipment works without any problems.

your phone uses A-GPS and is not comparable, different type of technology

I don't know if they have Glonass support though so this may also impact your results

Please read it again. (i know google translate is bad). I wrote "And all without agps." Thats mean A-gps and internet was deleted and turned off. So it use only HW without any help. And without glonnas (when its turned off) still find average 8 satellites.

Is somwhere guide how to disassemble GPS? I would like to see what the antenna looks like and possibly modify it.

I have a question about GPS. Is it possible to improve the GPS response in some new firmware? In all records, the speed indicator (ie gps) is delayed by up to 5 seconds.

Is this a firmware problem (so do you have it too?) Or is it a bug of my gps module? This "problem" I noticed immediately after the purchase (almost a year)
Highly unlikely that they will change that. It would involve changing sampling rate for the GPS module and then adjusting code on Novatek side.
Changing GPS sampling rate is simple, if the module supports it, however the other side may be beyond of what Novatek SDK configuration allows. There may also be a problem with performance - the CPU may not have enough horsepower.

So I dismantled the gps to modify the antenna a bit (at least I think it is an antenna).

I added 2 wires (without insulation) about 3cm x 0.5mm as in the picture. The result was almost instantly fix the satellite (within 3 seconds) after switching on, and the response to the changes would say minimally twice faster. So it works or is just a placebo effect.
20170710_115117 - kopie.jpg

So I did some cold start and average time to fix it was about 10 sec (8-15 sec). It was up to 30 seconds before (for me). And while driving, the response to change is much faster than before (but I have already written it). When I have more time, I will try to make it better.

So I did some cold start and average time to fix it was about 10 sec (8-15 sec). It was up to 30 seconds before (for me). And while driving, the response to change is much faster than before (but I have already written it). When I have more time, I will try to make it better.
would you post a real picture of what you actually did, I'm interested in your DIY. :)

Instead of red lines, there are bare wires there (one of this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IW8AAOSwBahVWyns/s-l300.jpg). And in the middle (with tin), I stuck them with electric tape. This would increase the antenna and improve the signal.

Now it's midnight in Europe, so photo tomorrow (but it breaks my heart, I'm running low with double side tape :D)

Now it's midnight in Europe, so photo tomorrow (but it breaks my heart, I'm running low with double side tape :D)
thanks!

The first photo is a fix only by sticking.
On the second photo, I tried to add one more wire (without a visible result) and I connected it directly to the antenna. (Nasty, but at least it keeps on firm)
20170713_095642.jpg 20170713_101908.jpg

The first photo is a fix only by sticking.
On the second photo, I tried to add one more wire (without a visible result) and I connected it directly to the antenna. (Nasty, but at least it keeps on firm)
View attachment 32017 View attachment 32018
I am not sure about this. The original (square) is a very well tuned patch antenna. Your mod will probably do more harm than good. Also, cold start under 10 secs. is suspicious - I've never seen times like that.

if you were getting cold start times of 30 seconds then you never had a poor signal issue to begin with

But the cold start was no problem. I had a problem with the delayed reaction for up to 5 seconds. And now it reacts faster by half. So it helped me. I'm not saying it may be worse or you have to do it too. These are very small countries on which I move, other countries (or continents) may be other conditions.

What? After all this and having a FE that fixes the GPS issue, the GPS cannot be OFF and the unit still updates the date and time?

I am not sure if this is a software limitation or a case where engineers just did what they were told and did not think beyond that.

In short, it would be great if GPS can be OFF and date and time would be updated. I also love using the GPS module because the power outlet is located in a better location.

Hope this can be enhanced in a future update.
I'd really like to just use the GPS base for updating time and date without having other data forced to be embedded in the file. Sigh... Thanks for the info though.

Completely agreed. I don't really want the embedded data, but accurate timestamp is critical to me. Either a separate preference for set time auto from GPS from GPS embed or GPS pref set to off still automatically sets time would be preferred.

Completely agreed. I don't really want the embedded data, but accurate timestamp is critical to me. Either a separate preference for set time auto from GPS from GPS embed or GPS pref set to off still automatically sets time would be preferred.

I feel the same way.

However...

A simple on/off toggle of whether to embed the GPS data (ALL data) and which pieces are burned into the resulting video (think of the various pieces like subtitles in a movie you're transcoding) is much less processor intensive than having to control whether or not each particular stream of data gets transmitted and burned into the transcoded video.

The entire reason why I purchased the GPS was to update the date and time. I don't want any embedded data stored, just whatever I choose to be displayed in the video, which is just the date and time. In my state, if you are even only 1% at fault, your insurance will pay nothing. There are times when you may need to exceed the speed limit to try to avoid an accident.

I have a few suggestions to help solve this problem:
1) When the dashcam is first started, it could first update the date and time, then disable the GPS.
2) There could be an option to disable all embedded data while keeping the GPS enabled.
3) You could have an option to just record zeros for all embedded data.

Back