A119 Firmware

After updating the firmware & not realizing all the settings returned to default, I also heard the single beep once. Didn't see if there was an on-screen message.
as far as i know, flashing the firmware doesn't always reset your settings, and in fact, it's strongly recommended to go into the menu and manually reset defaults after flashing the firmware - this has solved a LOT of weird problems for people after a firmware upgrade.

as far as i know, flashing the firmware doesn't always reset your settings, and in fact, it's strongly recommended to go into the menu and manually reset defaults after flashing the firmware - this has solved a LOT of weird problems for people after a firmware upgrade.
From v3.1 to v3.4 settings did not reset. From v3.4 to v3.6 they did reset. For some reason, the upgrade did not go as "smoothly" as the previous one. Can't get it to enter the Menu without removing the uSD card, even when not connected to a computer, just a power source.

Can't get it to enter the Menu without removing the uSD card, even when not connected to a computer, just a power source.
when connected to a computer the camera goes into a "mass storage" mode as the final stage, so you have to unplug it from a computer and connect it to a power only source to have a chance to get into a "menu", in this case the camera should start recording (or after the upgrade is done), so you could stop the recording then enter the "menu".
if you remove the SD card during recording you may corrupt files on it and it may prevent the camera accessing the card.
make sure the card is formatted and has a .bin file on it.

From v3.1 to v3.4 settings did not reset. From v3.4 to v3.6 they did reset. For some reason, the upgrade did not go as "smoothly" as the previous one. Can't get it to enter the Menu without removing the uSD card, even when not connected to a computer, just a power source.
If your buttons don't work with the microSD card installed while connected to a wall charger, then remove the microSD card and default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection. Only remove or insert the microSD card when the camera is not powered. Read this thread https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/the-firmware-119-v2-is-not-updated.33329/#post-394890 to see if your symptoms are similar and if so try the solution proposed later in that thread here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/the-firmware-119-v2-is-not-updated.33329/#post-394991.

Last edited:
This is the problem, never had it before v3.4 firmware update. I am not the only one, there are at least 2 others with the same problem.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cant-access-menu.5236/

Put Mass Storage out of your mind. It is NOT (repeat NOT) connected to a computer, therefore, will never see as mass storage.
There is a combination of buttons to press to enter the Menu.
After it powers on, pressing the Menu button just takes a picture.

Sequence is now:
1. Power On. "Rec" button lights solid. Wait for Viofo splash screen to go away.
2. Press "Rec" button until it starts flashing. Sometimes have to press multiple times.
3. When "Rec" button starts flashing, wait 1-2 sec.
4. Press "Menu" button. Sometimes have to press multiple times..
5. Now it enters Menu.

This is bad programming. Button pushes should take priority. They've tied it to a clock or some other event.
I don't understand why flashing firmware erases all settings. Settings should be in "protected" memory. Every other cpu/micro-controller works this way. I am sure this is another programming error.

Taking a picture with the menu button while camera is recording is normal. This feature was added a few updates ago. Need to stop recording to enter the menu. Yes, sometimes it does take a second press of the button for it to enter the menu. Seems to depend on how fast you press the button after stoping recording. This has always been the case though.

This is the problem, never had it before v3.4 firmware update. I am not the only one, there are at least 2 others with the same problem.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cant-access-menu.5236/

Put Mass Storage out of your mind. It is NOT (repeat NOT) connected to a computer, therefore, will never see as mass storage.
There is a combination of buttons to press to enter the Menu.
After it powers on, pressing the Menu button just takes a picture.

Sequence is now:
1. Power On. "Rec" button lights solid. Wait for Viofo splash screen to go away.
2. Press "Rec" button until it starts flashing. Sometimes have to press multiple times.
3. When "Rec" button starts flashing, wait 1-2 sec.
4. Press "Menu" button. Sometimes have to press multiple times..
5. Now it enters Menu.

This is bad programming. Button pushes should take priority. They've tied it to a clock or some other event.
I don't understand why flashing firmware erases all settings. Settings should be in "protected" memory. Every other cpu/micro-controller works this way. I am sure this is another programming error.
losing user preferences with a firmware flash is not unheard of. there has been discussion here regarding this in the past. if the chipset company changed the SDK and redefined where user prefs are saved, or which string constants are used for a given function, then if the settings are NOT cleared, it can (and does, as has been proven) cause weird problems that can be tough to troubleshoot or pin down. imagine if a given variable originally contained a string/text value, but that variable was repurposed and now should only contain an integer value... and when the OS queries that value and gets a non-integer value, it'll probably crash or do something else unexpected. this isn't like a PC or tablet where you have a lot of flash memory to work with, nor a general purpose CPU that can better handle exceptions... so that's why it's always good to reset to defaults when flashing firmware on these cameras.

that said, i agree that it's annoying that it often takes 2-3 presses of the REC button before you can get into the menus. thankfully, the dashcam is pretty much a set n forget device. once you have the menu set up the way you want, you don't have to touch it again unless you flash the firmware. and the only annoying part for me is re-entering the custom text in the 2 fields in the menu. the rest of the settings can be done in about one minute - less time than it takes to prep and perform the firmware flash.

That 2 seconds to wait for press a button is rare and most of the time is because of a ”tired” Micro SD card. For Ambarella chipsets this is a common thing, for Novatek is much faster.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think it most often takes an extra press if you don't wait a second or so after you stop recording before pressing the menu button, do it too soon and the press is less likely to register

The Viofo stop of recording is done by just one button press. When the screen is off and you are pressing the Rec button, the display will turn on and also it is stopping the recording. Before, first press was just turning on the screen.
Because of actual configuration the user is spending more time before pressing the Menu button because user will have a delay when he will see the screen is on, then is possible to verify if is recording or not and after these 1-3 seconds he can press the Menu button without any problem. ;)

enjoy,
Mtz

The Viofo stop of recording is done by just one button press. When the screen is off and you are pressing the Rec button, the display will turn on and also it is stopping the recording. Before, first press was just turning on the screen.
Because of actual configuration the user is spending more time before pressing the Menu button because user will have a delay when he will see the screen is on, then is possible to verify if is recording or not and after these 1-3 seconds he can press the Menu button without any problem. ;)

enjoy,
Mtz
no, because typically i am doing this at my desk. i plug in usb power, wait for it to boot up, then try to press REC to make it stop recording. the screen has not had enough time to turn off yet. that's where my delay comes from.

I noticed that the file timestamps are off by hours. The file name has the correct time in it, and the correct time is displayed during playback, but the modified date of the file is hours earlier.

filename time is right and display time is right so why does it matter, not following what the issue is???

Here's a fun tip for Novatek based firmware updates.
Normally FWBA119.bin file will automatically be deleted after each update.
If you have multiple cameras to update one right after another this can be a pain.

All you need to do is right click, properties, and changed the Attributes to "Read-only" (for Windows)
This will keep the update from being deleted for multiple updates one right after another.

1522297211334-png.37226

filename time is right and display time is right so why does it matter, not following what the issue is???

Kind of pointless to have a time-stamp on the file if it is wrong. This should be an easy thing for them to fix, so why not fix it.

Here's a fun tip for Novatek based firmware updates.
Normally FWBA119.bin file will automatically be deleted after each update.
If you have multiple cameras to update one right after another this can be a pain.

All you need to do is right click, properties, and changed the Attributes to "Read-only" (for Windows)
This will keep the update from being deleted for multiple updates one right after another.
You can also try putting an empty file named 'update_no_delete.txt' to the root of your memory card...

Reactions: gse
Back