A119 hardwiring, what options do I have?

Yzermans

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
After introducing myself I would like to ask a couple of questions, hopefully this is the right way to do it.

I have a MINI F56, I wanted to install the Viofo A119 the easiest way by just using the cigarette plug.
Problem is.. this is a continuous power output. I want the dashcam to power off when I shut down my car.

So what other options do I have?
Hardwire it in the fuse box on a shalted 12v?
The MINI doesn't seem to have a fuse box reachable in the interior. So I can not just tap it from a fuse box in front.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Ferdy

Hardwire it in the fuse box on a shalted 12v?
The MINI doesn't seem to have a fuse box reachable in the interior. So I can not just tap it from a fuse box in front.

Any ideas?

Look on the passenger side, there's an interior fuse box. You could go through the firewall and directly to the main fuse box but shouldn't be necessary.

Okay thanks, I will take a better look.

Would a normal mini USB hard wire kit be enough to tap it from that fuse box?

Okay thanks, I will take a better look.

Would a normal mini USB hard wire kit be enough to tap it from that fuse box?

Yes the one sold and also bundled by A119 suppliers should be fine, be careful of the generic kits available (all look the same), they can fry the camera.

Thanks. I am from Europe so can not order on that website.
Would this be okay?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00U2...+hard+wire&dpPl=1&dpID=41DsTrFhkZL&ref=plSrch

To wire it in the fuse box I also need some sort of add-a-wire product.
What would you advice?

Try this one - https://www.amazon.de/gp/B00S73FE8A
You'll need a fuse tap that's appropriate for your fuse box. The black wire is ground (-ve). The red wire (+ve) will connect to the fuse tap, which'll further connect to the fusebox.

Edit:

Or even better - https://www.amazon.de/gp/B01JKI62KO

Thank you again.

The first one you linked is a micro USB, the a119 uses mini USB.

The second one looks great, but is rather expensive. Do I really need the battery protection? The camera will not be on continue power anyway.

The fuse tap, you mean something like this?
So, red wire from hard wire kit on the fuse tap and the blue wire on a general ground?
I can solder at home, so should not be a problem.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00YSMPA24/

The second one is overall a better kit.

@spytec sells the Mini USB version too, you could check with them. I'd still avoid the non-verified kits, rather use a micro to mini converter with a kit that's reported to work without any issues.

Make sure you order the correct version of the fuse tap, pull out one or the fuse intended to be tapped and verify the type before you order one.

Unless stated otherwise, ground will mostly be black.

Thank you for your help.
I now know what to do.

I might take the hard wire kit with the battery protection anyway, If I decide to go use a different 24/7 cam.

Best regards.

I have a MINI F56, I wanted to install the Viofo A119 the easiest way by just using the cigarette plug.
Problem is.. this is a continuous power output. I want the dashcam to power off when I shut down my car.
I also have an F56 Mini. When you lock the car, power to the accessory socket shuts down around 5 minutes later. It's not continuous. So you can just plug-in the A119.

Ooh thanks that is excellent info!

I still ordered the hardwire kit, because that would be a nicer way to power the dashcam.

Do you have any idea which fuse I can tap from?

I still ordered the hardwire kit, because that would be a nicer way to power the dashcam.

I think that the power cables supplied by dashcam manufacturers are generally more trustworthy than the average cheap hardwiring kit. My 4 cams are plugged into the front & rear accessory sockets, so I've never had to consider which fuse to tap from. Sorry I can't help with the fuse issue.

Okay no problem.
I do not share that opinion. Manufacturers supply hardwire kits themselves, why would a certified aftermarket be different?

I will try to find the correct socket myself, maybe I should measure it with my current meter.

I do not share that opinion ... why would a certified aftermarket be different?
I've lost count of the owners of Mini 0806 & other dashcams who've had their cams destroyed by cheap hardwiring kits. Many (most?) dashcams don't contain over-voltage protection circuitry, & rely on the integrity of the power supply. Some hardwiring kits are good quality, many are not, so dashcams continue to get fried.

Well, I will take the risk.
I do not trust a cigarette lighter plug to be 100% reliable either. We'll see. I didn't buy a cheap chinese one.

If I fry my dash cam, I will come back to you :)

Thanks for you insight.

I was talking from experience, fried my very first dash cam (Mini 0805) using one of these generic kits. Beware!

Well, I will take the risk.
I don't pay much attention to the many Posts that relate to hardwiring, however, I've gained the impression that BMWs are possibly the most awkward cars to successfully hardwire. Beneath the surface, your Mini is a BMW. I hope the hardwiring goes smoothly for you.

So, let's settle this once and for all. I will report in here. Haha.

Aren't the Mini series dashcams known for being unreliable and breaking early on? That's a reason why I passed up on one of those and got the Viofo.

So, let's settle this once and for all. I will report in here. Haha.

Aren't the Mini series dashcams known for being unreliable and breaking early on? That's a reason why I passed up on one of those and got the Viofo.
I would choose the A119 in preference to any of the Mini 0xxx cams. It's much better supported by it's Manufacturer.

My own Mini 0805 only cost me £25* & has lasted a year so far. I like it, despite it sagging slightly in it's mount, a common issue.

* https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-34#post-210245

Last edited:

I did mine from lighter plug connectors/wires, since I don't use parking mode.

Back