A119 Mini 2 Test & Review PP

The thing is, if I were to need a new €60 SD card like the one required for A139, I would prefer to choose a different camera model or manufacturer instead.

The Samsung and SanDisk HIgh Endurance cards should be far less expensive than that. Here in the U.S. on Amazon, the 256 GB SanDisk HIgh Endurance is $29.78 USD, and the 256 GB Samsung HIgh Endurance is @24.95 USD.

The Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB is pricier at $48.50.

Which all of them are in "not recommended" collum

I've been using the Samsung EVO and Samsung High Endurance in my two A119 V3s for severeal years now without any issues whatsoever. I suspect the High Endurance cards will likely work fine in the Mini 2 but current owners will have to confirm. Like I said, I would avoid the EVO cards in the Mini 2 but you can try it.

Get the SanDisk Max Endurance card from a reliable seller. Or just buy viofos. It cuts out so much of the guess work of will I have issues or not.

Get the SanDisk Max Endurance card from a reliable seller. Or just buy viofos. It cuts out so much of the guess work of will I have issues or not.

I understand the logic of the advice you're giving but @abgx1 said that such an expensive card would be a deal breaker for him, hence the approach I suggested (at least to start with). A 256 GB Max Endurance is 80 bucks on Amazon. That's almost the cost of an additional A119 Mini 2 with the current Viofo promo + reviewer code at $95.00. At the current exchange rates $80 USD = 73.60 €.

The thing is, if I were to need a new €60 SD card like the one required for A139, I would prefer to choose a different camera model or manufacturer instead.

Last edited:
Does A119 mini 2 have same problems with microsd card compatibility like A139? Or do they work OK with cheaper ones like samsung evo etc?
If only we had international industry standards so all SD Cards worked in all dash cams.
Oh wait. lol

SD Card = Wild West .png

The Samsung and SanDisk HIgh Endurance cards should be far less expensive than that. Here in the U.S. on Amazon, the 256 GB SanDisk HIgh Endurance is $29.78 USD, and the 256 GB Samsung HIgh Endurance is @24.95 USD.

The Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB is pricier at $48.50.
We highly don't recommend the Sandisk High Endurance card, while the camera is heating, this card's writing speed will be very low.
Better to not use this card in any 4K dash cam.
That's why this card is almost half price compared to their MAX Endurance version, I doubt their "High Endurance" quality.

I understand the logic of the advice you're giving but @abgx1 said that such an expensive card would be a deal breaker for him, hence the approach I suggested (at least to start with). A 256 GB Max Endurance is 80 bucks on Amazon. That's almost the cost of an additional A119 Mini 2 with the current Viofo promo + reviewer code at $95.00. At the current exchange rates $80 USD = 73.60 €.
All of those are by third party sellers which I just dont trust the card to be real. The only one maybe I would get something from would be beachaudio even at that they are asking almost double the price. Right from the manf. western digital $45 bucks for the 256gb card or $21 for 128gb but at least they work with no issues.

We highly don't recommend the Sandisk High Endurance card, while the camera is heating, this card's writing speed will be very low.
That's why this card is almost half price compared to their MAX Endurance version, I doubt their "High Endurance" quality.

I understand, but the A119 Mini 2 is a 2K camera, so I thought it would be OK.

It is interesting how over the years dash cams seem to be more and more fussy about what memory cards they are compatible with.

Personally, I like to keep a spare card in my vehicle and two 256GB Max Endurance cards would apparently cost as much as the camera itself which is a consideration.

Last edited:
All of those are by third party sellers which I just dont trust the card to be real. The only one maybe I would get something from would be beachaudio even at that they are asking almost double the price. Right from the manf. western digital $45 bucks for the 256gb card or $21 for 128gb but at least they work with no issues.

$45.99 for the 256 GB cards certainly seems a lot more reasonable, although still kind of pricey. As I mentioned above, for many years now I like to keep a spare memory card or two in my vehicle, so at at this price two 256 GB Max Endurance cards would cost as much as the Min 2 itself at the current offer price. The cost of the 128 GB version doesn't seem too bad, so that might be more workable.

$45.99 for the 256 GB cards certainly seems a lot more reasonable, although still kind of pricey. As I mentioned above, for many years now I like to keep a spare memory card or two in my vehicle, so at at this price two 256 GB Max Endurance cards would cost as much as the Min 2 itself at the current offer price. The cost of the 128 GB version doesn't seem too bad, so that might be more workable.
Def. more reasonable and at least you know its a real card as well. Yeah I wasn't about to spend 45 bucks on a 256gb card. I picked up the 128gb one and I figure by the time it wears out, there will be another better card out there. As for how far the card will go back, I really don't care about that as long as I have whatever event happened last that I need. Also since it wont overwrite locked files I see no reason to get the larger card either.

Last edited:
A suggestion.
Consider adding a speed/write/read test that is done on bootup and if it fails tell the user via a screen message/voice/ or some kind of tone. Or only do the test first time it is installed or when a memory card is empty.

I think you would eliminate the many frustrations customers have with memory cards and reduce the headaches you and the company might have.

You might be able to prevent the repeated posts on this forum and other places like reddit regarding suitable memory cards.

Cheers

I performed a side by side FOV comparison with my “1st batch” A119 Mini 2 that was delivered 5/12/23, and my A129 Plus delivered September 2020.
Both dash cams have a manufacturer specification of 140° FOV.
It is my belief the A119 Mini 2 has a “true” 140° FOV.
Based on comparing this test footage the A129 Plus has an FOV closer to 165°.

Q:Why does this matter now?
A: More on this later.
Q: What is FOV, and why is it important?
A: FOV or technically AOV, or “viewing angle” is a specification consumers use to make an informed decision.
Narrow FOV’s are usually around 140° or less.
Wider FOV’s are usually 170° or more.
Narrow FOV’s make objects in the image appear larger & closer, so it’s easier to see fine details like license plates.
Wider FOV’s provide overall more information in a given scene, however objects appear smaller, and further away, and warpage / barrel distortion is greater on the edges of the image.

It was discovered the A119 Mini 2 had a defocusing issue when the camera was subjected to hot temperatures like parking mode in direct sunlight on a hot day.
This was confirmed by several A119 Mini 2 users.
Viofo fixed the issued by changing the lens, and started to ship revised “2nd batch” A119 Mini 2’s July 2023.
The lens used in the revised “2nd batch” A119 Mini 2 is the lens from the A129 Plus.
Q: Why are you wasting my time with this?
A: This means consumers who purchased the A119 Mini 2 after July 2022 considering its 140° FOV specification have been deceived.
This means the current specification of 140° is false & misleading.

A119 Mini 2 .png
A129 Plus .png

Here is the test footage I took the screenshots from;

Attachments

• Rubber Bands .jpg
    Rubber Bands .jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Mini USB Yuck!  .jpg
    Mini USB Yuck! .jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Look me in the eye tell the truth .jpg
    Look me in the eye tell the truth .jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I performed a side by side FOV comparison with my “1st batch” A119 Mini 2 that was delivered 5/12/23, and my A129 Plus delivered September 2020.
Both dash cams have a manufacturer specification of 140° FOV.

Q:Why does this matter now?
A: More on this later.
Q: What is FOV, and why is it important?
A: FOV or technically AOV, or “viewing angle” is a specification consumers use to make an informed decision.
Narrow FOV’s are usually around 140° or less.
Narrow FOV’s make objects in the image appear larger & closer, so it’s easier to see fine details like license plates.
Wider FOV’s provide overall more information in a given scene, however objects appear smaller, and further away, and warpage / barrel distortion is greater on the edges of the image.

It was discovered the A119 Mini 2 had a defocusing issue when the camera was subjected to hot temperatures like parking mode in direct sunlight on a hot day.
This was confirmed by several A119 Mini 2 users.
Viofo fixed the issued by changing the lens, and started to ship revised “2nd batch” A119 Mini 2’s July 2022.
The lens used in the revised “2nd batch” A119 Mini 2 is the lens from the A129 Plus.
Q: Why are you wasting my time with this?
A: This means consumers who purchased the A119 Mini 2 after July 2022 considering its 140° FOV specification have been deceived.
This means the current specification of 140° is false & misleading.

View attachment 68260View attachment 68261

Here is the test footage I took the screenshots from;

July 2023 not July 2022.

@Panzer Platform, The other day I asked you to please explain how you are reaching your conclusions about what angles of view (AOV) you are seeing in your cameras. You ignored me. I knew you would likely not provide an answer because you don't have one. Instead, you are basing your claims on mere guesswork and speculation and as a result putting out misinformation. I can't help but notice that you do this quite often, especially when is comes to lenses and optics which frankly you don't seem very knowledgeable about.

PP, Please explain exactly how you are measuring the angles you claim based on your screen shots.

And please don't tell me you are "eyeballing" it.

So, here you are doing it again.

You need more than "belief" to make such claims, you need some facts.

165˚ of course is only 15˚ shy of 180˚, or in other words a full fish eye lens that would exhibit extreme barrel distortion.

Despite what ANY manufacturer may claim it is highly unlikely that 170 degrees (or higher) would ever exist in a dash cam because objects would be tiny within the image, the image would highly barrel distorted and such a lens would be impractical.

The effect would be similar with a true 165˚ lens. Even 160˚ is questionable in my view although we often see this spec claimed. It is possibly a wider lens is used in the spec but only the center of the image circle it throws is seen in the final image but that is an explanation and discussion for elsewhere.

In any event, here is what a horizontal viewing angle of 165 degrees would actually look like if you were to measure the angle. The coverage would be vastly larger than in your screen shots.

protractor-AOV.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gse
Guys, we are interested in the horizontal angle.
The manufacturer always declares a diagonal angle that only they know.
The same lens on different sensors can show different results in the horizontal angle, maybe I'm wrong. :unsure:

Despite what ANY manufacturer may claim it is highly unlikely that 170 degrees (or higher) would ever exist in a dash cam because objects would be tiny within the image, the image would highly barrel distorted and such a lens would be impractical.
There were such two-camera recorders in 2014, for example Garmin, the video from two cameras was glued together through processing and an angle of more than 180 degrees horizontally was obtained.
You can simply mentally divide the circle in half - it will be 180 degrees and understand what 140, 150, 160, etc. are.

DVR Garmin :

VDO_0040.avi_snapshot_01.48_[2014.08.11_19.50.45].jpg

Last edited:
Back