A119 Mini 2 Test & Review PP

Can you guys teach me how to measure Horizontal FOV on my work bench?

Hint #1: Get yourself a protractor. (and maybe some string)

Hint #2. Keep in mind that FOV (Field of View) is always variable as it depends on how far objects and scenes are from the lens at any given moment in time and this defines the frame.

AOV (Angle of View) is constant and never changes as it is based in the focal length of your lens which is what determines the coverage angle (in degrees) your camera can provide.

Hint #3: You want to measure the horizontal AOV.

aov_vs_fov_4a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your good suggestions. These voice commands are fixed once produced from the factory actually. And they are almost the same for all the dashcams in the market, so it is very expensive to customize.
@VIOFO-Support : To prevent the risk of an unintentional "video stop" voice command, an option would be to (optionally) remove the "Video stop" command from the list of available voice commands.

Last edited:
@kklucky
My promo code expired 9/30/23.
Use @rcg530 promo code: RCGUYMINI2
Get 256GB Viofo SD Card 50% off with A119 Mini 2 purchase.
A119 Mini 2: $114
256GB SD Card: $31
Total: $145

Attachments

• Expired 9-30-23 .png
    Expired 9-30-23 .png
    107 KB · Views: 5
  • 50% Off Viofo SD Card 2 .png
    50% Off Viofo SD Card 2 .png
    288.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 50% Off Viofo SD Card 1 .png
    50% Off Viofo SD Card 1 .png
    55.8 KB · Views: 5
  • RCG530 .png
    RCG530 .png
    56.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 256GB .png
    256GB .png
    371.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: gse
I wish to replace my A129+ camera with this Mini2 Starvis 2 camera. But I noticed that there is a annoying magenta tint in videos taken during daytime. IMHO, in the night the image of the IMX 675 is way better than the image of the older IMX335 sensor.
Viofo, can you make something by setting the WB better for daytime? Something closer to neutral? Also the saturation of colours is too high...

Viofo, can you make something by setting the WB better for daytime? Something closer to neutral? Also the saturation of colours is too high...
Welcome to the club.
Viofo might not see your request for improvement here.
You can send it directly to them here;

I posted a ticket, too. Let's hope they'll make something to correct the issue.

Anyway, in the mean time I studied the reviews and I ordered mine from the local importer. Luckily we had one.

Let's hope they'll make something to correct the issue.
Could you show this problem in the video from my post?
In recent days, I have been constantly watching videos from my DVRs to collect information
and I do not observe any problems with daytime video from the Mini 2...

Could you show this problem in the video from my post?
Yes, check your sunny or clear sky daytime videos. There is a magenta tint in white: lines, clouds etc. ;)
See in the picture extracted from your video. Down, the corrected WB.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 43
Magenta is more annoying and upsetting than a yellowish or slightly greenish tint. My 129+ has a slightly yellowish tint, but it's not so disturbing

Yes, check your sunny or clear sky daytime videos. There is a magenta tint in white: lines, clouds etc. ;)
See in the picture extracted from your video. Down, the corrected WB.
I specifically indicated to you in which video you need to find the problem. That video was shot with Mini 2 of the second revision.
You took a frame from a video from June shot by Mini 2 of the first revision, which had a purple tint in the video.
Since August, Viofo has been selling Mini 2 of the second revision with a different lens.
If you read this topic, you will find this information there.

Put a video filmed with most recent revision, during the day with clear sky or sunny. AFAI saw, in cloudy/overcast sky the WB is correct. As photographer, I don't believe the issue is lens related.

Put a video filmed with most recent revision, during the day with clear sky or sunny. AFAI saw, in cloudy/overcast sky the WB is correct. As photographer, I don't believe the issue is lens related.
Yesterday I gave you a link to my post, but you didn’t even look there...

By the way, the Mini 2 of the first revision, the footage you showed above, works in my other car and copes with filming road conditions
without problems and nothing interferes with this.
Well, if I need to make a feature film, I will purchase a professional video camera for this purpose. ;)

I watched your video from 03.03.2024 and, indeed, there is a little bit better WB correction, but the magenta is still there. More than that, there is a lot of purple fringing in tree's branches... where the contrast is maximum. And this one is lens related.
Stay calm, I don't want to persuade you, just notice the difference between the naturalness of image from my A129+ and the "webcam of '90s-image-like" from this mini2. This means only one thing: cost reduction. ;)

Attachments

• bbb.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 43
Now, about the ticket I opened on Viofo site, see the answer in screenshot.

"For the issue of white balance, we will release firmware to optimize it soon.
But this cannot be solved completely since white balance is always a difficult topic..."

the issue of white balance cannot be solved completely...
I would add: ..."because of hardware". I really hope I'm wrong!

EDIT: I'll test it tomorrow (I hope it'll come)...
On the other hand, I think that even a slight desaturation of the colors would help to a better perception of image as a whole.

Attachments

• ccc.jpg
    ccc.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I have it! :D
Congrats.
From now on please start your own thread to post about your A119 Mini 2.
This thread is for my testing of my A119 Mini 2.
I will follow your posts over there.

Please test your camera in your house BEFORE installation.
Check lens focus too.
Here’s a helpful video;

Back