A119 Pre-production beta test, bugs, fixes, FW and suggestions

Did you format the card in the camera? As soon as I do that it creates a folder called DCIM. So if you don't have that folder then there is possibly something wrong with the card.

Yes, I always format my memory card in the camera. The card was working fine before I updated the firmware on the A119. Right after updating the firmware, I formatted the memory card and then changed the settings to what it was before. The card tested out fine as far as I know on my computer.

So it still will not auto start recording when you apply power? Or it says recording but no files? Maybe try and re-flash the firmware, something very odd there.

Did you choose 1920x1080@60fps? Cause 60fps is not Ok ie not recording on 18 april FW.

Did you choose 1920x1080@60fps? Cause 60fps is not Ok ie not recording on 18 april FW.

That probably was the cause. Did not know that 1080p@60fps didn't work... As it was the default setting when I installed the firmware which I just left it as is.

After finding out that it didn't record anything ~2 days ago, I changed back to the resolution the max res and swapped a new micro sd card and seems to be recording fine. But was just sad that I didn't notice that it wasn't recording anything for the past few days after the update of the firmware where I was planning to provide some night samples since I rarely drive at night anymore.

create the engmode file with this command:
echo. > ENGMODE

Ok, dusted off my 10 year old windows XP laptop, followed Gibson99 command prompt and voila! It worked, well got me into the ENG MODE anyway. Then I tried to follow the instructions for calibration for the GIT2, that was not so successful...actually did not work at all ( followed to the letter twice). I think the A119 is just much simple to do, I followed this:

Yes, it is similar, format SPI first, then do DP bright pixel fixing, and then DP dark bright pixel fixing. If show DP pass means success.

Formatted SPI, selected DP bright from the menu, pointed it at a white sheet of paper with a bright light shining on it, pressed the OK button. Then covered the lens with aluminum foil, waited 10 minutes, pressed the OK button and it said DP PASSED FINISHED. So now lets see if the hot pixels are gone in my night test tonight.

Edit:

OK, just checked some night footage and the hot pixels are gone, so the calibration worked fine. Actually easy to do once you get into the ENGMODE menu.

Last edited:
Release a new firmware, please help to check the video quality.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/FWA119_0426.zip

Change log:
  1. Show ! icon and beeps 3 times while lock the file
  2. Show white backlight while charger connected
  3. Short press the power button to wake up the screen while in screensave mode
  4. Add WDR option
  5. Fixed 1080P 60fps recording issue via remove the calibration temporarily
  6. Set default resolution to 1440P 30FPS
  7. Add format warning
  8. Updated the IQ

Thanks Bill @viofo ! Your FW team is working around the clock.

Thanks Viofo, I have added this version to the first page of this thread.

3. Short press the power button to wake up the screen while in screensaver mode
And now we have the reason to have a Power button which for some user was not necessary and too big..

enjoy,
Mtz

Has anyone else had the A119 stop recording briefly after beeping 3 times, then start up again 5-10 seconds later?
I've been running the A119 virtually 24-7. All of the extra stuff is turned off...(G sensor, lane depature, etc)

I'll try to see if I can establish a time interval, but the beeps are not so loud so I don't always notice them. A few times it's seemed like a 30 minute interval between episodes.

YOu don't go into a full reboot. You don't see the 'Viofo' start up screen.
It just stops recording, starts up 5-10 seconds later.
Don't see any reason to think it's interupted power or anything like that?

Has anyone else had the A119 stop recording briefly after beeping 3 times, then start up again 5-10 seconds later?

When you say after beeping 3 times, do you mean with the latest FW and after pressing the LOCK file button? Or do you mean a random 3 beeps? I have not had any issue with random 3 beeps.

Latest firmware. I'm not touching any buttons. Has happened 12-15 times today, over a 12 hour period. Will double check to make sure I don't have any setting 'strange', but had to go through the settings this morning after doing the firmware update.
The 'rec' button flashes as if you pushed it, and you get a series of 3 'dit dit' beeps.

Nope, no unwanted settings.

If you hit the REC button while it's recording, it also stops recording and beeps continuously., until you press it again.
(Playing with it demounted from the windshield. Not touched any buttons when driving and it started beeping and stopped recording briefly on it's own)

Ok, well I will try and find the time to upgrade to the latest FW and see if I can duplicate any of your problems.....

OK, just updated. Those 3 beeps after pushing the REC button only happened the first time after the upgrade. Possibly to tell you that you need to re-enter all the settings? It does not do it now, only the REC button flashes rapidly.

Last edited:
I'm using an always on power source. The A119 has been running almost 24 hours a day for the last two weeks, and 12 hours a day for a week before that.

The biggest problem is the 5-10 second gap in the files, if something happens.
:(

For the heck of it, with the a119 running normally, recording, press the REC button.
On mine, when you do that, recording stops, the rec button flashes continuously, and the beep sounds until you press it again, to start recording. Not sure if it's supposed to do this?

For the heck of it, with the a119 running normally, recording, press the REC button.

OK, just went out the car where the A119 is running off the PMP. It was recording (motion detect on) and when I pushed the REC button no beeps, just rapid flashing. As I said I only seen the 3 beeps the first time after the FW upgrade.

I have motion detection off, since it didn't appear to work well the first time I tried it.
Could try it tonight, but probably won't have time to review the files before I have to work, early in the morning.

I have motion detection off, since it didn't appear to work well the first time I tried it.

OK, well maybe try it and see if that fixes the 3 beep issue first. I'm quite happy with the motion detect, seems to work fine for me.

As to the random disconnects I will watch and see if that issue comes up now with the new FW. I know you said you checked, but it almost sounds like an intermittent power supply problem.

Scanning a Drive ATM for viruses .. ( Family Friend , only 65 detection's so far )
Will have some video up ASAP

The power supply should be ok. I'm using a multi-port USB 12v USB adapter, and a mobius USB with capacitor is on the same supply, as well as a few other things that would be obvious if there was an interruption. (adequate amps on each port)

Put in on motion detection overnight, but can't really tell how effective it is for my purposes by a quick look at the files. I don't see any files that were triggered by a pedestrian, and there should have been some foot traffic within range of the cam where I was parked.
The only other dash cam I used that had worthwhile motion detection while parked would pick up a pedestrian next to the truck, and up to 25 or so meters away.
It seemed it save a little card space.....but????
Will leave it on motion detection today, and see what happens. At least it's not beeping. :)

I also get the 'format card' menu every time I re-power the cam. I have the format prompt set to off.

Will leave it on motion detection today, and see what happens. At least it's not beeping. :)

Ok, so that may be why I don't get the beeps, it has to do with motion detection, which seems odd. I use motion detection so that it starts to record as I start to drive and stops when i park at home since I also have a continous power supply. I'm using it to save card use and not have files with nothing on them....maybe I'm not using it the way it is intended.

I also get the 'format card' menu every time I re-power the cam. I have the format prompt set to off.

Ok, well again I have it set to 30 days and I don't get that "format Card" menu.

@viofo, are these things ( 3 beeps without motion detection on, Format card menu) intentional in this FW version?

Back