A119 Pre-production beta test, bugs, fixes, FW and suggestions

"Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

That is the PC version of what we say at work......we say " your Pi$$ poor planning is not my emergency" :D

just took the cam out for a test drive at night on some really dark roads and found i REALLY need to do the hot pixel calibration - it's not near as obvious during the day. but otherwise it's doing pretty good. It's doing frame doubling even though i had it set to 1080p60 - this is very obvious when stepping through frame by frame in VLC. plus it doesn't look very smooth and there's a fair bit of motion blur. but there's a surprising amount of detail in the grass on the side of the road (at low speeds only), and you could still read some street signs. since i went out at almost 1am, i didn't come up behind anyone to where you could test license plate readability - almost had the roads to myself.

anyway, here are some raw files, since youtube would probably murder them.
http://gibson99.com/download/RawVideo/A119-pre-production/0426-firmware/

first file (ends in 037) starts with my high beams on, just cruising along Fry road on the west side of town. They're starting to build new neighborhoods out there, but there's still some dark areas left, but also a few street lights and one brand new traffic light that was REALLY fricken bright - the LEDs in it actually hurt my eyes similar to when someone has their high beams on coming straight at you.

second one (039) starts off with me talking about some flags i could see silhouetted against the city glow, lighting up the clouds (it's been overcast all day). also has more lights from stores, street lights, and then a little water on the windshield as i try to clean it with the sprayer - so it's kinda like having rain at night, right?

third file (041) starts as i turn into a neighborhood, and then turn off my headlights (parking lights still on) and just drive using the street lights. i didn't leave them off long though, and drove through the neighborhood a little then turned back around. right at the end i turned off my lights again but this time in an unlit section of road. i could barely make out the centerline and curbs with my eyes but i expected the camera to only be able to see the street lights off in the distance, and have it be totally black in front of me. however, the camera did better than i expected - you can see the road as a lighter section ahead of me and the grass on either side as black. see attached screenshot (which highlights just how bad i need to do the hot pixel calibration!)

i had my regular CH-100B rolling too, so i'm going to try to put together a comparison clip between the two since both use sony image sensors quality image sensors that work pretty good at night, but the CH-100b records at a much lower bitrate, and only does 30fps. but not tonight. it's 1:40am and i should really try to go to sleep.

edit: ok, still can't sleep. since i already copied the ch-100B files off the sd card, i figured i'd take a screenshot at the same point as the one from the a119. you can easily tell which is which by the text at the bottom. when i turn off my lights in the dark section at the end, you can't see the road at all in the ch-100b. i also posted the raw video files from the CH-100B that pretty much line up with the files above, since both cameras were set to 3 minute loop, but they didn't start at exactly the same time. they're here: http://gibson99.com/download/RawVideo/CH-100B/ - i posted front and rear since it's a 2ch system.

these files also show just how different the audio quality is between the two cameras. CH-100B is much louder but doesn't sound overdriven, even when i have loud music on (there's no music in these videos - just road noise and the air conditioner).

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2016-04-29-01h36m29s884.png
    vlcsnap-2016-04-29-01h36m29s884.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • vlcsnap-2016-04-29-02h00m21s258.png
    vlcsnap-2016-04-29-02h00m21s258.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
That is the PC version of what we say at work......we say " your Pi$$ poor planning is not my emergency" :D
I work IT at a global law firm. can't get TOO snarky. :p but we had a few sayings up there... i took a picture before we moved out of that space and started working from home fulltime, so i could post it on our private sharepoint site, for posterity. :)

upload_2016-4-29_2-16-56.png

i had my regular CH-100B rolling too, so i'm going to try to put together a comparison clip between the two since both use sony image sensors, but the CH-100b records at a much lower bitrate, and only does 30fps. but not tonight. it's 1:40am and i should really try to go to sleep.

do you have an A119 or A119S?

do you have an A119 or A119S?

I don't think anyone other than Viofo has the A119S yet......so I know you are referring to his Sony sensor statement

The 'S' doesn't stand for 'Sport'?
:)
There are other words starting with 'S', maybe one of these:
Special
Super
Sensitive
Sony
Starlight
Sensor ?

Or maybe some other word starting with 'S'...

There are other words starting with 'S', maybe one of these:
Special
Super
Sensitive
Sony
Starlight
Sensor ?

Or maybe some other word starting with 'S'...
In this case it refers to Sleepy... or maybe ShoudaGoneToBedHoursAgo....

From my own teardown pics:

IMG_0115.JPG

Facepalm.jpg :oops:

Last edited:
I think i may have found another bug - went on some errands at lunch today and pressed the emergency/lock button a few times. once at 12:47, and again at 12:55 (same trip, no stopping). after the second one, the screen got stuck on the big yellow triangle. it did the normal 3 beeps, and based on the files in the Movie folder, it never stopped recording. it does look like i pressed the button in the very last second of the video file - maybe that's what caused it? there's a very small gap between the two normal Movie files when watching the videos - maybe 5-10 lost frames (at 60fps) but the numbering is different... first file is 2016_0502_125300_058.MP4 and second file is 2016_0502_125600_060.MP4 - the file in the EMR folder is 2016_0502_125558_059.MP4

so about a minute after clicking the button the second time, i noticed that the screen was still on, and still had the large yellow triangle. i have screen saver set to 30 seconds. only other setting i changed is i put it on 1080p60. other than the "name" i put in (A119BETA426), everything else is default. anyway, as i was looking at it, the screen went to sleep. i had to make a couple turns so i waited a little longer and then once i was on an empty road again, i pressed menu to wake up the screen - it still had the triangle. so i pressed emergency again. it beeped 3 times, then after 10 seconds or so, it went back to the normal screen with the live preview, blinking red dot, etc. and another 10-15 seconds later, the screen went back to sleep, just like it should.

so it's not a show-stopper bug, but perhaps something to check. again, sandisk 16gb class 10 card (and it's not very old - may only have about 30-40 hours recording time on it total). let me know if there's anything else you want me to check. oh - the card was formatted in the camera because it got the prompt last time i put it back in. so that shouldn't be the problem.

surprisingly, there was a lot of blue in the video. it was fully overcast and drizzling so i couldn't see any blue sky, but the camera sure thought it could see some blue sky in some parts. granted, i was wearing my sunglasses because the sun shining through the clouds was very diffuse and caused a lot of glare (my eyes seem to be sensitive to that) but nothing out of the ordinary. if anything, the sky should have looked white or light gray, but there should not have been any blue at all.

there was enough light for it to run at true 60fps - the video was super smooth and very clear.

Last edited:
here's a couple framegrabs showing the difference in the sky. the ch-100b has the sky correct, but the entire scene looks much nicer on the a119 due to the higher bitrate and lower sharpness. but you can read license plates and street signs about equally well.. it's just easier on the a119 because it's not oversharpened.
ch-100b: vlcsnap-2016-05-02-14h34m03s190.jpg
a119: vlcsnap-2016-05-02-14h36m20s245.jpg

Strange. Looks almost worse than the original 'blue' problem, two firmware upgrades ago. I haven't tried 60 fps yet on the 04/26 update.

I installed the latest firmware. Now:

- when I use a new sd card firmware ask me to format the card. But there are 2 problems:
1. the first message is not translate in my language "To ensure ...", it should be something like "Per garantire la migliore qualità ti invitiamo a formattare l'sd card"
2. the first message disappear too quickly (after 1 second?), I can't read all the message. Then I see the second dialog with format menu (ok or cancel). By the way, the italian text in this dialog is too long and then it's not well formatted / readable (you should have some skills to understand what is happening)

- new firmware doesn't reuse previous settings and I have to set then again

- I got an unusable/unreadable mp4 file. This are my settings: 1080p@60, WDR on, GPS on, date e time overlay on, movement detection off, ldws & fdws (sorry I don't remember their names) on. You can download it here: https://mega.nz/#!MI1zDBrL!pFwbk97MuZ1tjfpFliFhETHhTW11e3J4SJc7rNVws18

Sorry, can't help you with the Italian language issues.

That is normal and in my opinion necessary when you upgrade the firmware to have to re-enter all the data.

Not sure why you have GPS on when the mount I received is not a GPS mount. Could that be the reason the files are unreadable?

I'll do new tests without GPS on. Consider Viofo A119 will be sold with and without gps mount (gps will be optional) and I think all A119 will use the same firmware. So, in my opinion, GPS on should never break mov files

Last edited:
I agree both would use the same firmware, I only meant having GPS ON without actually having a GPS mount ( antenna, receiver) might, maybe, could, have something to do with it. I was only throwing that out there as I have no problems with my files, but I have GPS OFF.

I did new tests. I disabled GPS and I got good files and bad files. The bad files (the ones I can't open) are ALL the last files, the ones Viofo should close when I turn off the engine. I did 3 tests and all the times the final file is corrupted. So with latest firmware my Viofo A119 NEVER close files in the right way. When I turn off the engine, I see the REC red light on and after few seconds it turns off. Maybe a supercapacitor or firmware bug, I don't know because I had A119 up & running only 4 days ago, but these files are never well closed / saved. If you need, I can share corrupted files.

Other bug: when I press the power button while recording and the display is off, I only listen a beep and display doesn't power on. If I press the power button again, still only a beep and display off. If I press it a third time, display wakes up and after 1 second it power off again (rec button always on and rec working). If I press the menu button when display is off then soon the display wakes up and after 15 seconds it power off. So power button is "useless" when the display is off (why beeps?), while menu button works well.

Other bug [CRITICAL]: frame "inversion" in 1080p@60 fps with WDR on. [ download video ]. Look at 00:02, 00:05, 00:13, 00:21. 4 frame-inversion in 25 seconds ... If you open it with a media player (under windows you can use media player classic hd), if you go at frame 150 or 326 you can see that frames have no date / time.
2016_0504_194435_010.mkv_snapshot_00.02_[2016.05.04_23.42.06].jpg 2016_0504_194435_010.mkv_snapshot_00.05_[2016.05.04_23.41.18].jpg

Other bug: LWDC & FWDS (I don't remember their names) are both on and I see their icons in the header bar, but what they should do? I drove tailoring at high speed (also in highway) and crossing the middle line but no warning or beeps.

IMHO: a lot of users write firmware is stable. I just start testing and these are my first big bugs after few tests ... I think we need more and more testings ... Viofo A119 will be the best (or one of the best) dashcam in the market, firmware MUST be stable and bug free.

Last edited:
Back