A119 PRO?!?

someone mentioned the bitrate had increased in the new version

I'm not too sure what that means. According to VLC, the input bitrate is the same for both firmwares, around 23000-24000 kb/s. Is this supposed to impact file size per 3 minutes?

I'm not too sure what that means. According to VLC, the input bitrate is the same for both firmwares, around 23000-24000 kb/s. Is this supposed to impact file size per 3 minutes?
A higher bitrate would make the file sizes larger. I experienced the same bitrate with both firmware versions though as well.

That's still looks really good to me - I'm gonna have to have a look at some rainy footage on my beta test firmware!

One more, this time in the rain. again 1440p and firmware 1.2

Really nice picture but not enough magnification to actually read the plate numbers.

I've had my A119 Pro for a few days now and after updating to the latest firmware (1.2) I have to say I'm not very happy. I'm using default settings but the image quality just doesn't seem that clear to me. Can anybody with an A119S or A119 v2 chime in on whether or not my image quality would be better if I switched cams? How committed to firmware updates is Viofo?

You do have a lot of sky in the frame, most proper installs you can see the front of the dashboard / air vents in the bottom of the image.

Vifo are not bad in regard to firmware updates, if they can find or their users can find problems they will do their best to fix it im sure.

You do have a lot of sky in the frame, most proper installs you can see the front of the dashboard / air vents in the bottom of the image.

I'll try and re-aim the camera down some. My windshield is nearly vertical (Jeep) so I'm not sure how well that'll turn out. I don't really have much of a dash, but I can probably get more of the hood in the shot.

Set at 60/40 for the sky will not help. Change the angle to 40/60. If you have a CPL, attach it after positioning the polarization correctly. Check the lens is clean beforehand and the windscreen too.

That aim of the camera do influence the metering the camera will use, but that should only relate into overly bright or dark footage.

In general i feel with modern cameras a 50/50 split at the horizon are ideal.

If you feel the image are fuzzy / out of focus, ot is batter to provide raw footage we can DL to take a look at on our computers, preferablly in a parked / stopped situation with a lot of things ad different distances like plates / cars / chop billboards / store fronts ASO.
Also some urban driving where contrast changes in buildings and so on lining the road will make it more easy to determine IQ Vs the blur of green foliage.

Last edited:
I've had my A119 Pro for a few days now and after updating to the latest firmware (1.2) I have to say I'm not very happy. I'm using default settings but the image quality just doesn't seem that clear to me. Can anybody with an A119S or A119 v2 chime in on whether or not my image quality would be better if I switched cams? How committed to firmware updates is Viofo?

I have the PRO as well. I upgraded to firmware v1.2 and I can tell there is slightly better IQ in expense of brightness at night time. I didn't check but I'd say day time IQ would be unchanged/good as usual. You should turn WDR on, see if your IQ improved.

You should turn WDR on, see if your IQ improved.

Do you notice a difference for the better at night with WDR on in 1.2? Because in 1.0 night video got worse with WDR on so I’ve left it off as the trade off of better day versus worse night isn’t worth it.

Amazon UK have the a119 Pro at £53 (with GPS) sold by Spytec... is this regarded as a good price or have they all dropped in price (a119/119s/119sv2) due to the upcoming A129?

Or is the one sold by spytec not actually a Pro?

Amazon UK have the a119 Pro at £53 (with GPS) sold by Spytec... is this regarded as a good price or have they all dropped in price (a119/119s/119sv2) due to the upcoming A129?

Or is the one sold by spytec not actually a Pro?

I purchased the Spytec version (with GPS) via Amazon in the USA. The price was $99 (shipped). It comes in a Viofo box and the only Spytec branding to be found anywhere is the warranty card inside the box.

There must be a reason why it is this cheap.

What are the thoughts from Viofo.

There must be a reason why it is this cheap.

What are the thoughts from Viofo.

Not sure what the view from Viofo is but I picked one up from Spytec through Amazon UK and other than a Spytec flyer inside the box its all Viofo branded and packaged. Updating to the latest Viofo firmware works OK and I can't see any difference in spec from that which is published by Viofo.

So I am right in thinking it is considerably cheaper than I was expecting? It's not marked as being on any kind of special offer/price reduction

@viofo any ideas?

So annoying. No car coming the other way has a licence plate. This is illegal in many countries lol

So annoying. No car coming the other way has a licence plate. This is illegal in many countries lol
Yeah, it's not required in the state I live in (in the USA).
So I am right in thinking it is considerably cheaper than I was expecting? It's not marked as being on any kind of special offer/price reduction

@viofo any ideas?
Are you asking why Spytec is cheaper? In the USA it is only a bit cheaper. I'm pretty certain I read that Spytec is an authorized seller of Viofo products. There's nothing shady about them as far as I can tell--they've been doing business on Amazon for a long time and they don't in anyway misrepresent their dashcams as anything other than Viofo products.

Back