A119 V3 1440p 60fps bitrate

HankG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the bitrate increases when going from 1440p at 30fps to 1440p at 60fps on the new 2.0 firmware?

Does anyone know if the bitrate increases when going from 1440p at 30fps to 1440p at 60fps on the new 2.0 firmware?

I don't recall but you can find out for yourself very easily. Practically every media player has a function that will provide you with a lot of information about the files you are viewing such as video codec, audio codec, bit rate, frame rate, resolution, etc.

For example, in VLC you would go to the Window menu and select "Media Information". In QuickTime, you would select "Show Movie Inspector". Something very similar will be found in just about any other media player.

So, shoot some 30fps video and some 60fps video and see what you get.

Please let us know what you find out.

Well, OK, I looked at some older V3 files and this is what I got.

@30fps the bit rate was 30.41 Mbit/s.

@60fps the bit rate was 26.76 Mbit/s. (this varied slightly from file to file, so occasionally I might see 26.74 or 26.72)

Well, OK, I looked at some older V3 files and this is what I got.

@30fps the bit rate was 30.41 Mbit/s.

@60fps the bit rate was 26.76 Mbit/s. (this varied slightly from file to file, so occasionally I might see 26.74 or 26.72)
27,6mbps on High setting 1440p60 HDR on using .TS
1600p/30 is 29.6-30.4. idle

I can confirm the same ~26Mbit/s bitrate in both 1440p60 Normal and High settings on 2.0 firmware, which looks wrong to me.
I'd expect the bitrate to change when I change the setting.

It is already very high bitrate now, increasing bitrate may cause recording issue with some cards.

Bull****
Why then recording in 1440p30 High results in 30-31Mbps file?
I would expect at least the same 30-31 bitrate for 60fps too, if not more, normally higher FPS requires higher bitrate.

Last edited:
From Viofo reply it sounds like recording at 60fps throws more data at the card so they have reduced tbe bitrate to compensate and avoid a buffering issue.

From Viofo reply it sounds like recording at 60fps throws more data at the card so they have reduced tbe bitrate to compensate and avoid a buffering issue.
There is twice as much data coming from the sensor, so the processor probably has less time for writing data to the memory card. The faster processors in cameras like the A129 Pro can manage higher 60fps bitrates, but they are also more expensive.

It is already very high bitrate now, increasing bitrate may cause recording issue with some cards.

There is twice as much data coming from the sensor, so the processor probably has less time for writing data to the memory card.
Viofo said it could be "recording issues with some cards". Nothing about processor (more than that, bigger bitrate means less compression and processor works less stressed). As far as I see in Viofo's answer, the processor COULD handle higher bitrates. They are affraid by some card related issues. In fact, 30 Mbps means about 4 MB/s, or, if double the bitrate (but not absolutely necessarly) , 60 Mbps means about 8 MB/s, still under the writting speed of modern micro SDs. Micro SD cards class 10 or UHS 1 can write at (at least) 10 MB/s (80 Mbps). So, I don't see any obstacle in using higher bitrates. :D This is theoretically, because practically I think that the memory bus is slower and can't get to the performances of SD card. ;)

26- 30 Mbit/s or so should usually be more than adequate for most purposes. I remember the early days of dash cams when less than 10 Mbit/s running 1080p @30 fps was about all you could expect.

Also AVC/H264, not HEVC/H265. ;)

Yeah, these was a whole spectrum of things we didn't have like we do now. Ten years ago when I bought my first dash camera they were basically useless at night. The best you could expect was to see a very grainy image just a couple of meters ahead of your car even with your bright headlights on. I do remember that actual 1080p @30 fps (which many cams didn't have back then) on a bright sunny day was truly impressive from such a camera at that time. In those days there wasn't even such a thing as a "brand" name camera. They were all Chinese generics.

Last edited:
I've been running around for the last few months at 60fps without issue. What I haven't checked is the bitrate.

I changed my settings earlier this week to 30fps and turned on HDR. When I get home and get time I'm going to compare any difference. I may be hampered as my 2 journeys are at dawn so not the best of light.

Hehe yeah, my first proper 1080p dashcam was the Lukas LK-7500, it had a whopping bitrate of 11.

Dont get me wrong i would like to see higher bitrates all over the board, but not really as long as measly little memory cards are the storage media.
Also as mentioned, it is not only a matter of what the memory card can handle, before that in the chain there is the SOC which also have its own set of limitations.

The new high end novatek SOCs will easy do 1440p/60 at 40 mbit i am sure, probably even more than that.

Also the dashcams are not really cinematic recorders, i have tried my osmo action out in the windscreen running 4K/60 and 100 mbit, but that did not mean it was catching more plates ( the only detail i care about in a dashcam )
But of course there was much less Lego like in the footage and also more detail in roadside grass ASO i wizzed by at 80 km/h, but t his was also a nice sunny day, though i had put on a ND32 filter.

Of course thats youtube, so never nice footage just show the cirsumstances under which i performed my recording, the raw footage on my computer of course looked much better, and very much better than any of my dashcams.

I've just checked mine and you are right, 30fps bitrate is circa 30k but 60fps is circa 26k.

However, I've compared the footage, same roads, and I'm still of the opinion that 60fps looks better, seems sharper, both movie and freeze frame.
However 2: My 30fps was with HDR on. My next setting is 60fps with HDR on.

Won't be for a while though, good old lockdown.

My next setting is 60fps with HDR on.
Doubt it will do it.
HDR is by definition a combination of two frames already, so taking two frames at 60fps means the sensor must be able to do 120fps normally

Doubt it will do it.
HDR is by definition a combination of two frames already, so taking two frames at 60fps means the sensor must be able to do 120fps normally

Not quite. HDR uses the 60 fps capability to shoot two 30fps images simultaneously and superimpose them on one another. One of the images is basically optimized for the bright highlights and the other is optimized for the shadows and lower midtones.

So, just back to 60fps HDR off.

Back