A119 V4 Soon?

geokilla

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anyone know if there will be a A119 V4 soon? Thinking of replacing my A119S but I don't know if I should wait or not. A119S still works fine but I want to hardwire it so might as well upgrade at the same time.

A V4 would be interesting but these days manufacturers are moving to USB-C so that would entail a whole new hardwire as I doubt adapters would work.

What do you mean by soon?

There doesn't seem to be much wrong with the A119 V3 that needs fixing, so what is it that you want from a new version?

Yes, USB-C would be a good idea...

I agree, the V3 is doing all I need and has been rock solid since I got it about 3 years ago.

I'm not using a Viofo hardwire kit but even so, the thought of haviing to purchase a new kit and stripping out part of the dash again would put me off.

Unfortunately USB Mini is becoming obsolete.

Unfortunately USB Mini is becoming obsolete.
Yes, and USB-C is better, has a very reassuring click when you push it into the socket, so it is not coming out again accidently.

I think for an A119, it uses sufficiently low power that you could use a mini-C converter when you upgrade, but probably better to upgrade the hardwire kit too. Not sure if you can get mini-C converters or if you would need mini-A and A-C!

All the new cameras are now getting USB-C.

This would be a good reason for geokilla to wait, depending on what he/she means by "soon"...

Yes, there is "V4" coming soon, still call A119, but not called A119 V4. New design, and new hardware, and use the USB-C port.

Interesting times ahead then.

USB-C will presumably mean another hardwire kit, or hopefully a Mini USB to USB-C adapter will work.

Last edited:
Interesting times ahead then.

USB-C will presumably mean another hardwire kit, or hopefully a Mini USB to USB-C adapter will work.

The new Mobius 4K camera (MM4K) has a USB-C port. One member who purchased one reported that simply adding a mini USB to USB-C adapter to the end of the existing cable worked well.

I'm guessing that an adapter will probably also work with any new Viofo "V4", however, it remains to be seen whether an adapter will work using parking mode with a hardwire kit.

Ooohh I like the sound of coming soon [emoji3] I’ve been fairly lazy in getting a cam for my wife’s car so may well now wait until the new cam is released.

I'm guessing that an adapter will probably also work with any new Viofo "V4", however, it remains to be seen whether an adapter will work using parking mode with a hardwire kit.
Someone is using one successfully with parking mode on an A139, or was it a T130.
However I wouldn't recommend an adaptor for the 3 channel cameras, likely to be unreliable with the higher power consumption.

Ooohh I like the sound of coming soon [emoji3] I’ve been fairly lazy in getting a cam for my wife’s car so may well now wait until the new cam is released.
Yes, wait for this year's cameras if you are not in a hurry, all USB-C among other improvements.

The new Mobius 4K camera (MM4K) has a USB-C port. One member who purchased one reported that simply adding a mini USB to USB-C adapter to the end of the existing cable worked well.

Thanks

I don't require parking mode...... you're next task is to find a mini USB to USB-C adapter, I haven't found one yet. Loads of micro to C.

Thanks

I don't require parking mode...... you're next task is to find a mini USB to USB-C adapter, I haven't found one yet. Loads of micro to C.
At least here on Amazon USA, mini-B female to USB-C adapters are widely available. I haven't checked Amazon UK yet. Mini-B male to USB-C adapters are also available.

Adapters are available in plug form as well as cables of different length. Many angle types seem to be available on the USB-C end.

Some of the adapters are for charging only whereas others are also for data transfer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08FRNPPD2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00UUBS0SS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07VRM27JC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07LBDTPCR

usbmini-c.jpg

usbmini-c3.jpg

usbmini-c2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

2 of the links go to Amazon UK on auto redirect to different products and 1 is out of stock. Only the 90 degree cable is redirected properly. I have managed to find one on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232435225455
Reviews are mixed so maybe a new HWK is the only answer.

Thanks

2 of the links go to Amazon UK on auto redirect to different products and 1 is out of stock. Only the 90 degree cable is redirected properly. I have managed to find one on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232435225455
Reviews are mixed so maybe a new HWK is the only answer.

Try AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...53945&SearchText=mini+female+to+USB-C+adapter

EDIT: The link seems to be a mixed bag, but what we are looking for is in there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...-1;1.18;-1;-1@salePrice;USD;search-mainSearch

Last edited:
Thanks for the links

I've been looking further and I'm not happy with any 3 wire kits in my hybrid. The 12v battery is very low powered, AH, as it's just there to power the electrics during startup and a few other things when it's off. The main high voltage battery pack does all the work. As a result the 12v is easily flattened if you're not careful. Therefore I want a 2 wire kit that just triggers on/off with ACC and is not permanently powered.

I'll wait for release and owner reviews and if there is no solution I'll consider getting another V3 for storage and keep it charged.

Thanks for the links

I've been looking further and I'm not happy with any 3 wire kits in my hybrid. The 12v battery is very low powered, AH, as it's just there to power the electrics during startup and a few other things when it's off. The main high voltage battery pack does all the work. As a result the 12v is easily flattened if you're not careful. Therefore I want a 2 wire kit that just triggers on/off with ACC and is not permanently powered.

I'll wait for release and owner reviews and if there is no solution I'll consider getting another V3 for storage and keep it charged.
You can use a 3 wire kit with a dashcam battery pack, then the car on/off is passed through to the camera, so that when you park it will switch to dashcam battery pack powered parking mode. Currently all the dashcam battery packs that support that are a bit expensive, but it solves your problem, and in future the price may drop a bit.

If you are thinking of storing a V3 then I suggest you wait until you have seen what Viofo mentioned above.

I'm doing nothing until it's released and reviewed :)

One thing Viofo need to consider is that a lot of people have paid to have their current Mini-USB cable hardwired, at expense, to dealers, auto electricians and some retail stores.

Hopefully @viofo will consider boxing an adapter to use current installations.

I'm doing nothing until it's released and reviewed :)

One thing Viofo need to consider is that a lot of people have paid to have their current Mini-USB cable hardwired, at expense, to dealers, auto electricians and some retail stores.

Hopefully @viofo will consider boxing an adapter to use current installations.
However the old A119 V3 lasts so long that most people only buy a new one when they replace their car, and leave the old hardwire kit behind, so for most people, an adaptor is not required...

Yes, they do seem very reliable. I've still got my old V2, that I charge bi-annually, as a standby.

At the end of the day all I want is a Dashcam that fires up with ignition power and fully turns off when ignition power is turned off.

Currently my V3, wired up with a Nextbase 2 wire kit does that perfectly. I've seen conflicting reports that connecting the Viofo red and yellow wires together can achieve this.

Back