A119S firmwares

the wheel and the side of the car have more details with fw 2.4.
The firmware 1.01 lacks sharpness, if add it programmatically, everything will be fine.

Reactions: Mtz
That do seem a little better to me. (y)

Image quality is subjective for everyone. I agree the second screenshot is sharper in shadow/low light but the example doesn't reveal the video clarity of using FW1.01 in full sun light, all current Firmware from 1.2 to 2.4 are too bright and over exposed and over sharpened. For drivers needing only accident evidence and Parking Mode, suggest running the latest/newest Firmware from VIOFO. My preference is to save interesting videos for other video projects and want the realistic image quality of FW1.01 and manually sharpen my video if needed.
The ultimate video quality improvement feature will be allowing owners to select constant bit rate instead of the current variable bit rate which creates blocky/jagged images making license plates difficult to read when more than three car lengths away. YouTubes upload codec conversion algorithm doesn't help since it converts all video to variable bit rate unless you have more than 250k subscribers with no upload conversions (prefered member).

I just got mine today running 2.4 and I think my mobius had better quality lol

I also dislike the current over-sharpness and prefer the older software picture quality.

Would it not be better to have a Low/Mid/High sharpness setting ? I have just received my A119s and yet to test but will report back.

Some of you were concerned about me staying with my older version of 1.7 Firmware.
I had an incident today where it booted up but didn't start to record. It may have been turned on and off too quickly before it was started.
I'm pleased to inform that I upgraded to A119S_180115_V2.4 this afternoon and all looks good.
I'll monitor the images this week and report back if I see any significant changes from the older version..

The most significant difference for me so far, between version V_1.7 and V_2.4, is the new version has 30 Menu Settings, whereas the older V_1.7 had 29 Menu selections.
Of the 30 Menu Settings, I have 10 of 30 Menu settings off or not used:
Parking Mode, Time Lapse, Motion Detection, LDWS, FCWS, GPS STAMP, LED, Image Rotate, Format Warning and Custom Text
I’m satisfied with the images of the latest FW A119S_180115_V2.4
30 Menu Settings as of MAY 11, 2018​
01 RESOLUTION – 1920 x 1080p 60fps
02 LOOP RECORDING – 5 minutes
03 EXPOSURE – +0.0 (Winter) -0.1/3 (Summer)
04 WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) – ON
05 OFF - PARKING MODE
06 OFF - Time Lapse
07 OFF - Motion Detection
08 GPS – On
09 SPEED UNITS – kph
10 G SENSOR – Medium
11 OFF - LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System
12 OFF - FCWS (Front Collision Warning System
13 DATE STAMP – ON
14 OFF - GPS STAMP (Coordinates, Speed)
15 CAMERA MODEL - ON
16 RECORD AUDIO – ON
17 SCREEN SAVER – 3 minutes
18 OFF - LED
19 DATE & TIME – ON
20 TIME ZONE – -4 Daylight Saving, change to -5 for Standard Time
21 LANGUAGE – English
22 BEEPING SOUND – All
23 FREQUENCY – 60Hz for North America
24 OFF - Image Rotate
25 FORMAT – Manually, once a month or before long trip
26 OFF - Format Warning
27 DEFAULT –
28 CAR NAME – Entered License plate
29 Not used - CUSTOM TEXT
30 FIRMWARE VERSION – A119S_180115_ V2.4

I hope the above is helpful for somebody setting up their own custom settings.

I think mine has give up just after a few weeks on Firmware 2.4

7yuxVm2.jpg

What causes this problem as I THOUGHT firmware 2.4 was suppose to fix this problem but apparently not in my case.

Thanks for your advice and I will try that now.

Thanks CaptureYourAction now back up and running again but a little in doubt now in regards to reliability only having the camera a few weeks.

Firmware Version V2.4

Change log:

• 1.Fixed: The random white screen issue. NOT IN MY CAMERA :(

On Viofo's website, I see that they've updated the date for FW2.4... Previously 2.4 went online in January, but now their blog post for FW2.4 is April 23. The file in the Zip still seems to be 2018-01-15, but they also provide a bare BIN on the website.

I've seen enough companies messing up their config management that it wouldn't surprise me if FW2.4 that's currently available from Viofo has been updated (without a change of rev#), or that Viofo updated just the BIN file (again, no change to the rev#), but not the Zip file.

http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000047224-viofo-a119s-car-dash-camera-firmware

Last edited:
Thanks CaptureYourAction now back up and running again but a little in doubt now in regards to reliability only having the camera a few weeks.

Firmware Version V2.4

Change log:

• 1.Fixed: The random white screen issue. NOT IN MY CAMERA :(
I don't believe the "white screen issue" is the same issue as yours. Your issue was originally accompanied by XXXXXXXX in the lower left corner of the screen. They fixed the XXXXXX issue with V2.2, but the screen issue you have may or may not be firmware related. Viofo has said that it could be an issue with the image sensor ribbon cable, though I don't think it's something that's been confirmed. If you did not manually default your cameras settings after originally updating to V2.2 or later, it's possible the issue remained (if it's firmware related). Always best to manually default the cameras settings after updating the firmware.

I also Formatted my micro SD HC twice after I did the Default procedure.
I recall BC Hobbyist is an advocate to Format the micro sd cards twice.
I downloaded the Firmware 2.4 Firmware from Viofo on May 7th.
Everything has performed well so far with no issues.

The camera was purchased Online from an E bay seller and come with firmware V2.4. Not sure what date it was but now downlaoded as suggested the below the latest dated one and hoping this issue does not re appear.

Modified on: Mon, 23 Apr, 2018 at 10:16 PM

Have just replaced old DOD GSE520 with VIOFO A119S V2 2.4 - daylight video turned out inferior to DOD's unexpectedly: overexposed, high contrast - balcks is too black, whites is too white, too vivid colors. My current settings are rather common: 1080px30, EXP 0.0 and -1/3 (both equaly no good), no WDR, all additional services are OFF. Will try WDR now... Contrast settings is missing for a reason?

All above relates to bright sunny weather.

Another bug in 2.4 I found: using GPS and time zone (mine is +3), timestamp in video is correct, but file is created with +3hr timestamp. That is: if, say, my video last frame is done at 12:00, time inside the video is correct (same 12:00), but file created is stamped with 15:00 (12+3). Might be the reason NovaTrakt 2.4 behaves on some files incorrectly.

What is correct path to report FW bugs? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back