A119S v2

According to Amazon it's "Not eligible for Amazon Prime" is it going to change once cams are in stock or this will apply to entire shipment until sold?

actually I'm with Jon now, I can grab a couple of pieces of the EVA off him and bring them back to Australia with me for you

Hey Rick........... Not long after I posted that comment I thought about unnecessary postage for Jon thinking I will walk down to Bunnings warehouse and making my own so leave it with me for a few days and I will report back after I get the camera which is due to arrive just after the ANZAC long weekend.

Thanks for your help lads

According to Amazon it's "Not eligible for Amazon Prime" is it going to change once cams are in stock or this will apply to entire shipment until sold?

We almost always have 2 SKU's per Amazon listing.

1 is FBA (Fulfilled By Amazon)
1 is Sold and Shipped by OCD Tronic

The FBA (Prime) listing will show up again as soon as the stock is checked into Amazon Texas warehouse next week.

All back orders placed today will be shipped by OCD Tronic once the same new stock arrives.

This is the only way we can keep the listing alive during the out of stock condition.

So am I understanding this right? The only difference between the V1 A119 & A119S cams and their V2 releases are the connection points & the foam to reduce vibration and audio noise? There is no change in the actual camera, lens, features or performance of the cameras? Just want to be clear.

I had an A119 that I bought through another seller but returned it. I was experiencing the GPS power issues and even though the video was pretty nice in general I could never seem to make out car tags unless I was stopped at a light and they were stopped too. I drive a tractor-trailer and the camera's position is higher up but I wouldn't think that would cause lack of focus. The test videos I've seem on YouTube are MUCH clearer than mine was.

I do plan on buying a new one in hopes of better performance. I still have the CPL filter that will stay on the cam night and day. I am using the Transcend 64Gb High Endurance card. I am thinking because of some of the beautiful places I get to drive I may go with the A119S so it's not such a fish-eye view. It would be nice to put together some videos to share of that sort of thing but I really would like to be able to make out tags from moving vehicles like I see in other people's videos. I will definitely be buying from OCD Tronic this time though.

So am I understanding this right? The only difference between the V1 A119 & A119S cams and their V2 releases are the connection points & the foam to reduce vibration and audio noise? There is no change in the actual camera, lens, features or performance of the cameras? Just want to be clear.

That's mostly right, but V2 also has an updated lens base

I had an A119 that I bought through another seller but returned it. I was experiencing the GPS power issues and even though the video was pretty nice in general I could never seem to make out car tags unless I was stopped at a light and they were stopped too. I drive a tractor-trailer and the camera's position is higher up but I wouldn't think that would cause lack of focus. The test videos I've seem on YouTube are MUCH clearer than mine was.

I do plan on buying a new one in hopes of better performance. I still have the CPL filter that will stay on the cam night and day. I am using the Transcend 64Gb High Endurance card. I am thinking because of some of the beautiful places I get to drive I may go with the A119S so it's not such a fish-eye view. It would be nice to put together some videos to share of that sort of thing but I really would like to be able to make out tags from moving vehicles like I see in other people's videos. I will definitely be buying from OCD Tronic this time though.

GPS power issues are fixed on V2 GPS mounts since the new connection points are proven to be very stable so far.
License plates are still a challange on any dashcam under certain conditions.
Your CPL is still compatible with V2

Would the V2 GPS mount power and function properly if I choose to plug into the camera power port instead (just for routing of cable reasons)?

Last edited:
Would the V2 GPS mount power and function properly if I choose to plug into the camera powed port instead (just for routing of cable reasons)?

Yes, GPS continues to function even when you plug the mini USB power cable into the side of the camera bypassing GPS.

Ah, thanks for the new word. I've been tired of "disingenuity" for awhile but had nothing better to go with till now :D

I don't know who your vendor was but I hope that you get satisfaction from them. The A119 series cams were beta-tested but that will not catch every problem or issue, and sometimes the only way to resolve those things when they're found later is a new version of cam or newer firmware. The latter is an easy DIY, yet the former will always result in disgruntled folks who bought in early and feel cheated. It can't be an easy decision for the manufacturer but I feel that it is better for them to do what is needed than to simply ignore the problem(s). YMMV.

In the 'Future Shock' world we live in today, technology moves along so quickly that no product can be thoroughly tested in every way before it's marketed, for anyone who tries that approach will not sell their now-outdated products when their competition brings forth newer more promising products which the market turns toward :eek: It's all a gamble if you want to keep up with the times, and some bets you will lose :( I don't think that anyone intended a V2 etal to happen here, though it did because it was the right thing to do. As I see this, save for defective units there are no "bad" A119 series cams, only that some are now better than in the past. From what I can tell by reading of other's experiences. I think I could be happy with any version but I'm not too hard to please with the sole exception being that I want absolute recording reliability which to me over-rides the rest. Again YMMV.

Diogenetically yours,
Phil
I have long ago come to grips with the pace of change in several industries, most notably very portable electronic devices. My experience has been that product testing has very much taken a back-seat and will soon not even be in the same car and instead dragged behind in a trailer! Soon enough product testing will cease entirely. It seems to be a cost manufacturers are less and less willing to make, which is a really big pity, and regulators don't seem to care much about it any more. However I will continue to resist this headlong rush into business oblivion and refuse to drown in an ever growing sea of worthless junk.

As for the A119s the time span between introducing the V1 and then almost immediately redesigning the device in a couple very fundamental ways only weeks later is a recipe for plenty of angry customers. Yes, it is good that they improve their product but in my mind the problems they are correcting should bloody well have been detected before they were sold en masse. A little beta testing of their own would have revealed such basic faults. The issues were on such a fundamental level that it simply cannot be called an upgrade, rather it should be a recall/fix.

Then there is the matter of the banner still displayed at Amazon.ca which states it is the "Latest version". The timeline reveals it most certainly was not when I bought it and most certainly is not now. I appreciate many of these vendors are more or less stuck with old/redundant/faulty stock on their shelves but that is the new nature of doing business with Chinese manufacturers who increasingly pass costs and responsibility onto their vendors. I am well familiar with a similar trade as I have been a distributor for electronic cigarette products for several years. I know exactly how the beast works but will never allow myself to get used to it, nor swindled by it. If you could see the sheer size of the space I need to store all the old/damaged/redundant/unsold stock I own you would probably need to sit down. I have enough brand new junk for a good size museum, but I did not pay for any of it. I can only imagine what is happening all over the place with folks who might not be similarly cautious. But soon enough I expect I will get dumped into the same sinking boat as everybody else, only then I will shut it all down and retire.

My business thrives because I still deal with folks the old fashioned way. I do not buy anything from suppliers that they will not take back for any reason, and at their cost. That is how it used to be before everything got outsourced to Shenzhen. I was lucky to get on board early enough to be able to make such demands from my suppliers. They do not make such offers to anybody anymore, that's for sure. I feel very sad for the vendors who will likely have some new additions to their own dashcam museum.

I printed the return labels this morning and will be shipping the A119s V1 back next time I am at the post office. I have decided to spend a bit more and get something less likely to be in need of fundamental changes and repairs right out of the box. Something with a rear camera as well methinks.

Last edited:
Can you not install the new firmware making ur cam with the most updated version Cam is the same so just update it
I loaded the new firmware (1.2) before I even used it in anger. I have not checked if there is yet another firmware upgrade out, but it's no longer my problem. It's going back.

But thank you very much for the suggestion! I am most grateful.

I've been using removable storage devices since the days of PCMCIA ("Flash cards") in laptops, digital cameras, automobiles, portable music players, surveillance cameras, quadcopters, and dashcams. I've used various brands (mostly SanDisk) and various form factors including PCMCIA/Flash, USB, CF, SmartMedia, MemoryStick, and (Micro)SD.

I've yet to have one wear out. Almost universally, they become obsolete in terms of form factor and/or capacity long before they die. I'm currently using the sole brand and model of MicroSD card that Viofio specifically says NOT to use and it works perfectly. I can't justify spending 2 to 3 times more for a "recommend" or "heavy duty" version when the standard ones have worked fine for years. Until it is proven to me otherwise, I can only think of these "high endurance" models as little more than marketing gimmicks.

A couple of brands currently advertise their 64 GB high-endurance models rated up to 10,000+ hours. An average driver driving 12,000 miles per year spends about 400 hours per year behind the wheel. That's 25 years out MicroSD card life! That card and the device it is used in will be obsolete, lost, upgraded, or discarded LONG before then. Even if that's 10x the life (which I doubt it's near that high) of a "standard" card, that's still at least 2.5 years. That's longer than most people keep many of their electronic gadgets like smartphones.

If you are using the card Viofo specifically says to avoid, you are taking a risky gamble. I used SanDisk on several dash cams and over half failed in about a 18 month period. The worse thing is that you don't know they have failed unless you try to play back the video and find out it is not there. You are risking potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars or more if you are in a serious car crash and injured over $15-20 more for a card designed to take the extra abuse from recording HD video on a constant basis. From personal experience I'd never use SanDisk again in a dash cam. I still have several of them I use in other devices, but no longer in my dash cams. Not sure why anyone would take such a needless risk over a relatively small amount extra to buy a better suited card for the application.

Is there a warrenty with this camera? I'd like to contact Viofo directly, but I think there will be a language barrier.

Bought mine from amazon in Canada, but it doesn't seem like the vendor I bought it from will help me out.

If you are using the card Viofo specifically says to avoid, you are taking a risky gamble. I used SanDisk on several dash cams and over half failed in about a 18 month period. The worse thing is that you don't know they have failed unless you try to play back the video and find out it is not there. You are risking potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars or more if you are in a serious car crash and injured over $15-20 more for a card designed to take the extra abuse from recording HD video on a constant basis. From personal experience I'd never use SanDisk again in a dash cam. I still have several of them I use in other devices, but no longer in my dash cams. Not sure why anyone would take such a needless risk over a relatively small amount extra to buy a better suited card for the application.
The guy at a local electronics store yesterday swore that I should stay away from Lexar for the same reason. Another guy at another store said Kingston is evil and should be shunned like the plague. But with all due respect my friend, enough already with this distraction!
I tend not to listen to anecdotal and hyperbolic "evidence" and from what I have learned in the past 36 hours or so, virtually all memory suffers with dashcam usage. No brand is particularly immune and all can fail under such heavy loads. About the only difference between brands is who will honour warranty with dashcam use. I am told it's best to buy a couple of the largest memory chips the cam can handle and rotate them once a month or more. Plus a fella should regularly pull the card and check it for errors because cards typically give plenty of warning if they are having problems with the odd file popping up as unreadable. Easy enough. I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about lightning strikes!

@Wrecked. Memory cards are not all designed or built the same, they don't have the same error correction, but they all do eventually wear out. (Each time you record to the card it is damaged a small amount.) We're way beyond anecdotal with the SanDisk in dash cams. Over 50% failure rate on SanDisk is also well beyond lightening strike odds. Perhaps there are also some other bad ones. However, I've had several SanDisk fail in dash cams and zero fail from other brands. For now my goto card is the Transcend 64GB High Endurance card, and I do check them periodically. In my personal car there is a front and rear cam each with a high endurance card. Now back to our regular programming.

2 comments...

1. I got my A119S from CaptureYourAction, and they have been nothing less than awesome. I've had a few issues and questions about mine, and they contacted me right away, and we worked together to work the issues out. And it doesn't hurt that they are in the next state over...

2. I've been using a PNY 64GB card in mine, and I've had no issues whatsoever. Got it for maybe $20 at WalMart, and it works. Haven't really heard anyone mention PNY cards...

Hello via United's satellite wifi, flying 35,000 ft (10,668 m) heading back to the to the USA after a long productive China business trip. Ground speed is Currently 689 mph 1109 kmh.
(Yes United, Nobody got dragged off the plane so far)

I wanted to give a V2 process report from the first A119S (with GPS) batch that have already shipped and quickly sold out over the last few weeks.

So far far so good. No issues to report, happy customers.

I'll post another update once second batch A119S + GPS is back in stock. OCD Tronic will also have A119S V2 (no GPS) and A119 V2 (with and without GPS) stock available in the next week as well. They will all contain the new EVA foam pads.

A119S V2 just arrived at the Amazon FBA warehouse. (For Prime / Fulfilled by Amazon)

A119S V2 (without GPS)
Search for: B01MDPB7CS

A119S V2 (with GPS)
Search for: B01MFAK888

Again, EVA foam will be included in all of these.

Last edited:
SanDisk didnt even work properly from day one on my A119. Using a genuine Kingston card for the last 7 months with no issues.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

@Wrecked. Memory cards are not all designed or built the same, they don't have the same error correction, but they all do eventually wear out. (Each time you record to the card it is damaged a small amount.) We're way beyond anecdotal with the SanDisk in dash cams. Over 50% failure rate on SanDisk is also well beyond lightening strike odds. Perhaps there are also some other bad ones. However, I've had several SanDisk fail in dash cams and zero fail from other brands. For now my goto card is the Transcend 64GB High Endurance card, and I do check them periodically. In my personal car there is a front and rear cam each with a high endurance card. Now back to our regular programming.
(sigh...) OK then, humour me: Lets see the unbiased, independent studies that show how Sandisk cards fail prematurely, under any circumstance. Didn't think so. All you have is anecdotal "proof"!
This all rings of just so much brand tribalism. I'm sorry if I am getting more than a little tired of this subject, and I am extremely sorry if I have sounded insulting: it is/was not my intention to be rude but rather direct. However I do grow weary of folks saying things about brands that are simply not backed up with anything other than gossip, mob hysteria and misdirected and ignorant brand loyalty. Note I did not include corporate hit-jobs in that list of malfeasance, as saying that is also idle supposition: highly likely, but extremely difficult to prove. I won't even hint at what I suspect are the effects of the tremendous amount of heat generated by the a119s on memory cards... It just cannot be good.

Back