A129 3-wire kit

I don't have the 3 wire kit but are looking for some information on it. I'm interested in the pin outs of the mini USB connector that goes into the camera on the 3 wire kit. Which pin on the USB connector is the ACC line connected to. I know the the output of the ACC is 5V with the engine running and 0V with ignition off. But which pin on the mini USB connector is that ACC signal. My guess if it is a 5 pin connector it would be pin 4 the ID/Mode pin not the 2 date pins. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I have been using a switch for my A129 for awhile now, you can swap it between ACC only power and straight bat power while the dash came is running without an issue, don't see the need for diodes,

The only issue is if you leave the dashcam off overnight on the ACC only switch, then start the car, the dashcam won't turn on unless you press the menu/power button on the dashcam,

if i switch the switch so the Bat wire is direct to battery like normal, then start the car the dashcam will boot up fine,

I have just gotten used to getting in the car in the morning and flipping the switch before starting, ran out of motivation to do the whole delay thing on the ACC wire

I don't have the 3 wire kit but are looking for some information on it. I'm interested in the pin outs of the mini USB connector that goes into the camera on the 3 wire kit. Which pin on the USB connector is the ACC line connected to. I know the the output of the ACC is 5V with the engine running and 0V with ignition off. But which pin on the mini USB connector is that ACC signal. My guess if it is a 5 pin connector it would be pin 4 the ID/Mode pin not the 2 date pins. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Does anyone know how much power the A129 Duo and 3 Wire hardware kit draws when the car is off and parking mode is disabled?

I recently installed the A129 Duo with the HK3 but I only intended to use parking mode once in a blue moon as my car is always parked in a garage. I asked VIOFO chat (may be unreliable) and they told me the camera does not draw any power when parking mode is disabled. However, when installing the dash cam I noticed a red LED illuminating from the power supply. So it has to be drawing some power even if parking mode is off. My concern is that little LED putting wear on my battery slowly over time. I'm fine with never using parking mode if it means no wear on my battery. If I have to I can move ACC and BATT to both ACC fuses or re-wire it into the same tap.

Does anyone know how much power the A129 Duo and 3 Wire hardware kit draws when the car is off and parking mode is disabled?

I recently installed the A129 Duo with the HK3 but I only intended to use parking mode once in a blue moon as my car is always parked in a garage. I asked VIOFO chat (may be unreliable) and they told me the camera does not draw any power when parking mode is disabled. However, when installing the dash cam I noticed a red LED illuminating from the power supply. So it has to be drawing some power even if parking mode is off. My concern is that little LED putting wear on my battery slowly over time. I'm fine with never using parking mode if it means no wear on my battery. If I have to I can move ACC and BATT to both ACC fuses or re-wire it into the same tap.
i cant imagine one LED would cause any impact. lots of cars now-a-days have blinking lights on the dash that are on 24/7.

With parking mode turned off in the menu and the 3 wire kit connected as in the instructions, 0.1845 Watts, until the low voltage cutout operates, and after that 0.0000 Watts.

(That is actually the IR version, but I doubt that there is a difference.)

With parking mode turned off in the menu and the 3 wire kit connected as in the instructions, 0.1845 Watts, until the low voltage cutout operates, and after that 0.0000 Watts.

(That is actually the IR version, but I doubt that there is a difference.)

That is with the car off and camera off? Where did you get that information?

Also, I was wrong about the red LED, it does turn off when the car is off. Unless the low voltage cutoff was turning it off... Not sure how the red LED should operate.

That is with the car off and camera off? Where did you get that information?

Also, I was wrong about the red LED, it does turn off when the car is off. Unless the low voltage cutoff was turning it off... Not sure how the red LED should operate.
Yes, with the car off, and the camera powered but with the accessory input off - ie parking mode off in the menu and parked with the camera turning itself off.
Same power usage after a manual turn off when parking mode is on in the menu.

I measured it myself on what I assume to be a current model A129 IR and current model 3-wire hardwire kit, measuring the power being fed from the battery to the hardwire kit.

If you never intend to use parking mode then it would make sense to connect both power and acc to your accessory fuse, it is going to shorten battery life a little, but if you will want parking mode occasionally then it is not worth worrying about, your car alarm is probably using more power.

Last edited:

I have parking mode enabled and use it when I'm out. When I'm at home and parked in the garage I just power off the camera by holding the power button in for a couple seconds after I shut off the car and before getting out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, with the car off, and the camera powered but with the accessory input off - ie parking mode off in the menu and parked with the camera turning itself off.
Same power usage after a manual turn off when parking mode is on in the menu.

I measured it myself on what I assume to be a current model A129 IR and current model 3-wire hardwire kit, measuring the power being fed from the battery to the hardwire kit.

If you never intend to use parking mode then it would make sense to connect both power and acc to your accessory fuse, it is going to shorten battery life a little, but if you will want parking mode occasionally then it is not worth worrying about, your car alarm is probably using more power.

I tried to measure the power draw my self but I'm suspicious of my reading, I was getting 4.3μA with the camera on and 1.4μA off. I had my multi-meter connected in series between the fuse and Batt+ wire of the HK3. I had thought that the ACC wire was for detection only, is it possible it was drawing power from that side and that is why my readings are so off?

2019-07-09 20.18.05 - Copy.jpg

I tried to measure the power draw my self but I'm suspicious of my reading, I was getting 4.3μA with the camera on and 1.4μA off. I had my multi-meter connected in series between the fuse and Batt+ wire of the HK3. I had thought that the ACC wire was for detection only, is it possible it was drawing power from that side and that is why my readings are so off?

View attachment 47310
Suspect your use of the multimeter is incorrect... but I can't see the full multimeter in your image... based on an average multimeter:
Did you remember to put the multimeter red lead into the A input instead of the V input socket?
If so then you should put the meter on the 10A setting, not the μA setting.

So I've had the hardwire kit installed for a few weeks now and I've noticed twice the camera (A129 Duo) failed to turn on when I turned the car on. Any idea what would cause that (assuming the fuse I've used for acc isn't doing anything crazy)? I have the HWK set to 12.4v, as I don't use parking mode, however, if it detected a voltage below 12.4 and cut-off would it prevent the camera from starting on the next ignition?

So I've had the hardwire kit installed for a few weeks now and I've noticed twice the camera (A129 Duo) failed to turn on when I turned the car on. Any idea what would cause that (assuming the fuse I've used for acc isn't doing anything crazy)? I have the HWK set to 12.4v, as I don't use parking mode, however, if it detected a voltage below 12.4 and cut-off would it prevent the camera from starting on the next ignition?

For troubleshooting, use a normal USB cable to ensure the camera is working. Then change the HK3 to 11.8v to test, I think 12.4v could be a little too high if your battery is older, but I would double check the fuse you tap into are actually working (it could be inverted or wrong). I notice some newer cars have more IGN fuses than ACC like mine. When on, the HK3 should have a LED indicating the status.

For troubleshooting, use a normal USB cable to ensure the camera is working. Then change the HK3 to 12.0v to test, I think 12.4v could be a little too high if your battery is older, but I would double check the fuse you tap into are actually working (it could be inverted or wrong). I notice some newer cars have more IGN fuses than ACC like mine. When on, the HK3 should have a LED indicating the status.
The camera turned on just fine when I pressed the on button after I noticed it wasn't on (thankfully before I started driving). My car is only 2 months old battery should be good. Yeah, I have the ACC wire wired to a IGN fuse. Other than these two times it's worked perfectly fine.

Does anybody here has his/hers Viofo connected to car battery via HK3 cable for longer than (let's say) 3-4 months?
The reason I ask is that many people says, that it's horribly wrong for car battery. That it will kill car battery in less than 6 months...

I know that the best possible (and secure) way to use parking mode is to buy dedicated LiFePo4 powerbank (Cellink for example), but cost of this device is substantial - it's more expensive than Viofo A129 Duo itself.

So, does anybody here use actually hardware cable kit for longer than 3 months and does anybody noticed any substantial change to car battery?

Anyone installed this on a Ford Focus MK 3.5 (2010-2018)? I can't find details anywhere about permanent 12V connections, as apparently everything gets shut down 10mins after closing the car :(

So, does anybody here use actually hardware cable kit for longer than 3 months and does anybody noticed any substantial change to car battery?

depends on your car battery, I have two of the same type of power supply connected in one of my cars for close to 2 years already, battery is still fine

Does anybody here has his/hers Viofo connected to car battery via HK3 cable for longer than (let's say) 3-4 months?
The reason I ask is that many people says, that it's horribly wrong for car battery. That it will kill car battery in less than 6 months...

I know that the best possible (and secure) way to use parking mode is to buy dedicated LiFePo4 powerbank (Cellink for example), but cost of this device is substantial - it's more expensive than Viofo A129 Duo itself.

It will mean that the battery wears out a bit faster, you won't notice the change until it has worn out. Of course people replace car batteries every few years anyway so it is not a big issue. Some people will install the kit shortly before their car battery was about to die anyway and then claim the kit has killed their battery, which will sort of be true, but not something to worry about. Some people will install it shortly before the cold of winter and then say that their battery capacity is reducing fast, due to the cold, again not something to worry about. Given the amount of time that most people keep a car its use is unlikely to result in more than one extra battery replacement, and quite possibly not even one, especially if the car has an AGM battery for a Stop-Start system.

Back