A129 Pro firmware

Saw in Viofo website got the firmware for VIOFO A129 Pro IR Duo Dash Camera Firmware updated on 20/10

Who has tested out?

Who has tested out?
IR :
Latest A129 Pro IR Duo Dash Camera firmware is released, the version number is V1.0.
This firmware is for A129 Pro Infrared version, the Infraid Interior camera is for recording inside, not for rear.

IR :
Latest A129 Pro IR Duo Dash Camera firmware is released, the version number is V1.0.
This firmware is for A129 Pro Infrared version, the Infraid Interior camera is for recording inside, not for rear.

Think can use the A129 Duo IR's infrared rear cam with this firmware

So I am experiencing the beeping thing with mine set to time lapse parking mode on a Samsung evo plus 256gb... I’ve just swapped to a Sandisk and time will tell :(

A129 Pro will work hotter using H.265 compared to H.264. Save 10-20% file space only. Not worth.
Not when I tested it!

In fact it was slightly cooler, due to less data being written to the memory card.

And it only saves space because it uses a lower bitrate, you can also set the bitrate option to a lower bitrate if you want to save space.

As for quality, very hard to see any difference, but ultimate quality is from the highest bitrate H264, at lower bitrates there is probably a small advantage from the H265 at times but not one worth worrying about.

Not when I tested it!

In fact it was slightly cooler, due to less data being written to the memory card.

And it only saves space because it uses a lower bitrate, you can also set the bitrate option to a lower bitrate if you want to save space.

As for quality, very hard to see any difference, but ultimate quality is from the highest bitrate H264, at lower bitrates there is probably a small advantage from the H265 at times but not one worth worrying about.

I'll need to test this and see. Won't be able see any heat issue now as its the monsoon season over here.

Thanks Nigel

I'll need to test this and see. Won't be able see any heat issue now as its the monsoon season over here.

Thanks Nigel
I put a power meter in the supply to the hardwire kit, more power = more heat, also checked with an IR thermometer, although the difference between H264 and H265 will be hard to detect with that, need to point it directly at the memory card.

Saw in Viofo website got the firmware for VIOFO A129 Pro IR Duo Dash Camera Firmware updated on 20/10
There's an A129 Pro IR Duo? 4K+IR for taxi drivers :)
im having an issue sometimes the camera restarts itself when i start the car after it has been parked a while. it is hardwired with the viofo 3 wire kit. my old A129 didnt do this, just switched to driving mode when the car was started flawlessly..
Have you tried increasing the boot delay?

There's an A129 Pro IR Duo? 4K+IR for taxi drivers :)

Have you tried increasing the boot delay?
just tried this, have another issue on firmware 1.1. today. cam froze up on parking mode 30 mins after i parked the car. it was set to 10fps had to unplug it when i got back to get it back on.

Well different card didn’t fix it. Went out to the car this morning and the camera is beeping it’s head off... the card was full from previous recordings. I’ve factory reset thorough the menu, left all at default besides Bitrate and parking mode which are now maximum and low Bitrate... I hope it’s ok now

A129 Pro will work hotter using H.265 compared to H.264. Save 10-20% file space only. Not worth.
Tested. SD card is 4 °C cooler on H.265. A129 Pro itself is slightly cooler as well.

Tested. SD card is 4 °C cooler on H.265. A129 Pro itself is slightly cooler as well.

Now I wish all devices can watch H.265 with no issues. Even my 4 years old HP Probook can't watch H.265. Sad.

Going to test H.265 after testing the IR firmware.

I noticed the firmware for the IR version comes in 2 parts... Do mind showing us the version number after you’ve fed it the first file?

interesting in comparison to the Blackvue 4K camera that overheats when using H.265, at lower bitrates also
As I said above, this is mainly because the H265 mode uses a lower bitrate for each bitrate setting ("Maximum" is 50Mb/s instead of 60Mb/s for H264), thus the memory card is doing less work and generating less heat.

If you have a memory card that can't tolerate high temperature then this is an advantage, it doesn't make much difference to the camera itself.
I believe image quality is dependent on bitrate, H265 at the same bitrate as H264 is going to be impossible to tell the difference. Reduced bitrate H265 is likely to lose detail when driving at speed under trees in good lighting, although normally it will be hard to tell the difference.

As for the Blackvue, well it can overheat at 12Mb/s whatever codec!

Back