A229 Pro Test & Review PP

If that is the case, I would consider a reboot on wifi change of state unacceptable.

Ok.

Oops i thought i was replying to @Agie lol

My A129 Duo doesn't reboot. The rear camera image blinks and recording stops. A long press on the menu button starts the wifi.

Later I'll check the T130.

Last edited:
I pretty sure the T130 and maybe even the A129 reboots when wifi state is altered.
It would be nice if they didn't but I guess it may have something to do with resetting/disconnecting the wifi circuit ??
It shouldn't though on any device whether it's a smartphone or dash cam etc. Dunno but this is the first time it's ever happened to me on a dashcam and I've had a few dashcams with wifi over the years

When ever i toggle wifi on my A119 Mini2's, it soft reboots, and stops/starts recording. Does not show full boot animation, but it does take a few secs to re-initialize, screen goes black for a sec. Seems to be normal to me.
Sometimes that happens to mine on the A229 Pro. One time it's the full boot with Viofo red screen then other times the power LED goes out, and the whole unit doesn't respond until I press one of the buttons then it comes back to life.

@VIOFO-Support is it normal behaviour for any of the models to soft reboot or hard reboot, when wifi state is toggled on/off?

Are to disabling / enabling the Wi-Fi with the button on the cam, or voice commands?
And have you tried both, does it make a difference?
That might help diagnose the intermittent issue.
I have tried both and it's happened. The first time was when I enabled it with the button, but other times it's been when I told it to turn on wifi

When ever i toggle wifi on my A119 Mini2's, it soft reboots, and stops/starts recording. Does not show full boot animation, but it does take a few secs to re-initialize, screen goes black for a sec. Seems to be normal to me.

A huge difference in a reboot that reloads the OS and file system, sets up a new process, as opposed to simply closing a screen showing the WiFi off symbol and then returning to the expected screen.

Just like a cellphone, tablet, or any WiFi enabled device, the connection is there or it is not, there is no need for a cold boot or hard reset on a change of state for the WiFi. How long it takes the dashcam to return to its home or previous screen after shutting down WiFi could be due to processor speed and code. I would only be concerned if it was a cold/hard boot from the base/core OS.

A huge difference in a reboot that reloads the OS and file system, sets up a new process, as opposed to simply closing a screen showing the WiFi off symbol and then returning to the expected screen.

Just like a cellphone, tablet, or any WiFi enabled device, the connection is there or it is not, there is no need for a cold boot or hard reset on a change of state for the WiFi. How long it takes the dashcam to return to its home or previous screen after shutting down WiFi could be due to processor speed and code. I would only be concerned if it was a cold/hard boot from the base/core OS.
Good points but shouldn't be happening at all, we are past those days for cellphones/tablets/other wifi-enabled devices, so any end user not versed in the technicalities of dash cams would be expecting the same.

It doesn't need to be the fastest device in the world, no one's asking for that, but it doesn't need to be so laggy that someone is questioning whether their device has shat itself

Almost everytime I enable wifi (when the dashcam is recording in 3-Ch mode), and then use Viofo app to view footage, it reboots the dash cam itself. Doesn't do it if I turn off recording first, strange.
Can you post some shakey cell phone footage of you doing this?
I want to see if I can duplicate the issue.

Can you post some shakey cell phone footage of you doing this?
I want to see if I can duplicate the issue.
Will also have to see if I can dig up another phone because I can't film and run the Viofo app at the same time :/

Good points but shouldn't be happening at all, we are past those days for cellphones/tablets/other wifi-enabled devices, so any end user not versed in the technicalities of dash cams would be expecting the same.

It doesn't need to be the fastest device in the world, no one's asking for that, but it doesn't need to be so laggy that someone is questioning whether their device has shat itself

Oh for sure, I certainly agree that this should not be happening at all. If it is, then that is poor code, processor, etc. I do not have one electronic device that skips a beat when turning on or turning off
the BT, WiFi or even the LAN.

Oh for sure, I certainly agree that this should not be happening at all. If it is, then that is poor code, processor, etc. I do not have one electronic device that skips a beat when turning on or turning off
the BT, WiFi or even the LAN.
I also don't live in an area that's known for paranormal activity, so we can rule that out as well :o

While controlling the a119 mini 2 from the application, I detected the problem that the camera freezes when the phone is in a horizontal position and has to be restarted, and I reported it to VIOFO-Support with a visual. It will probably be resolved soon.

While controlling the a119 mini 2 from the application, I detected the problem that the camera freezes when the phone is in a horizontal position and has to be restarted, and I reported it to VIOFO-Support with a visual. It will probably be resolved soon.

That may be due to antenna orientation between the A119 and your cellphone. Another possibility may be at the antenna attachment point to the radio deck/chip on the board.

Not a stupid question.
This is the whole reason I made the Bitrate post.
The A229 Pro will maintain the full quality 57 Mbps Bitrate in 2-CH REAR configuration.
This is due to the additional processor in the REAR camera.

Unfortunately the 2-CH INTERIOR configuration, and the Front camera Bitrate drops to only 35 Mbps.
If you want to maintain “maximum” image quality do not connect the Interior camera.
However, the the current price difference between the A229 Pro 3-CH vs. A229 Pro 2-CH is only $30, ($330 vs. $300).
So it might be nice to have the 3-CH version, play with it, and see the difference yourself.
I forgot to thank you, so... thanks! I'll try both the 2-CH Rear and the 3-CH configuration. If I don't mind the 3-CH quality, then I obviously have an interior camera view which is nice.

On the T130 it takes 3 seconds to soft reboot.
I don't think that is very long.

On the T130 it takes 3 seconds to soft reboot.
I don't think that is very long.
That isn't very long but that's beside the point, it shouldn't be happening at all. Rarely, I can forgive that yes. But on a constant basis then no

It shouldn't though on any device whether it's a smartphone or dash cam etc. Dunno but this is the first time it's ever happened to me on a dashcam and I've had a few dashcams with wifi over the years

It seems it does.
The T130 does a soft reboot when wifi is disabled.
It takes a hole 3 seconds to start recording again. lol I think that is fast and I doubt it would miss much bar a one in a Billion moment.

But getting back to your original problem of freezing has it done it since you started to use the Supplied Viofo power converter i.e. Cig lighter?

It seems it does.
The T130 does a soft reboot when wifi is disabled.
It takes a hole 3 seconds to start recording again. lol I think that is fast and I doubt it would miss much bar a one in a Billion moment.

But getting back to your original problem of freezing has it done it since you started to use the Supplied Viofo power converter i.e. Cig lighter?
Reboots a reboot mate haha, they reached out to me personally so it's definitely something that shouldn't be happening. Whether it's a nuisance or not , that's up to the person so I get that.

It did happen a few times with the original power supply as well, but I've only had it once or twice over the past few days so I can't crack out my phone to film it cos I can't reproduce the issue at will..

Almost everytime I enable wifi (when the dashcam is recording in 3-Ch mode), and then use Viofo app to view footage, it reboots the dash cam itself. Doesn't do it if I turn off recording first, strange.
Are you trying to view footage whilst the A229 Pro is still recording? Usually the app will not let you enter the settings or media menu until you stop recording.

Back