A229 Pro Test & Review PP

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
I gathered DRIVING test footage with the newly released firmware for the A229 Pro from the official Viofo website.
Front: V1.1_231208
Rear: V1.0_231207
I’m glad I have two A229 Pro units because it will enable me to gather side by side simultaneous footage to test things like;
1.) Q: Never use HDR during the DAYTIME (Yes/No)?
2.) Q: How badly is image quality degraded by connecting the IR Interior Camera, (this drops the Bitrate from 60 Mbps to 36 Mbps)?
3.) Q: How badly is image quality degraded by NOT using HDR at NIGHT TIME?

Front Window:
A229 Pro 2-CH Rear
A139 Pro 1-CH
A119 Mini 2
A229 Pro 1-CH (HDR usage opposite A229 Pro 2-CH Rear)
Back Window:
A229 Pro Rear
A119 Mini 2
Long story short DAYTIME footage is OK / good / acceptable.
I saw some improvements in NIGHT TIME HDR performance, but I think it still needs more fine tuning, and polish, (not 100% tits).
Side note: I did not see any improvement in night time HDR performance of the A229 Plus Front with the new firmware V1.1_231208.

Testing notes;
Now that we have STARVIS 2 sensors I’m seeing less of an impact from using a CPL Filter at night, so from now on all my night time test footage will have the CPL Filter installed, unless otherwise noted.
The A229 Pro Rear camera does NOT have an “officially available” CPL Filter.
All settings are default, except for Bitrate that is always set to Maximum.
All firmware is the most current / up to date available from the official Viofo website.

Daytime City:
Front;

Rear;

Night Time City:
Front;

Rear:

@Nigel
Dropped frames with “new” front firmware 1208 & rear firmware 1207.
While reviewing my test footage from my driving session I found a dropped frame malfunction on the front camera.
I caught it because the pedestrian at 1:56 seems to teleport.
After analyzing the rear camera footage it revealed dropped frames as well, but they are not noticeable by watching the video, only by counting individual frames.
Thanks to @rcg530 for the expert analysis.
Settings & configuration;
A229 Pro 2-CH Rear
Front firmware 1208
Rear firmware 1207
HDR On
Bitrate Maximum
Loop 3 Minute
I reported the malfunction to Viofo along with the raw files.
They confirmed the malfunction, and are working to fix it.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 1.png
    1.png
    716 KB · Views: 4
@Karagandinez
Here’s some random test footage trying to obtain perfect 50/50 road & sky lens alignment by transferring the “horizon line” onto my garage wall with painter’s tape.
Shoutout to @rcg530 for the help.
After watching the test footage the A229 Pro Rear does not look as good as the Mini 2, (it also looks a bit dark).

Attachments

• 2 .png
    2 .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 1 .png
    1 .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 4 .PNG
    4 .PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 3 .PNG
    3 .PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
非常详细的比赛,太感谢了!
请问全黑无光情况下,内部摄像头录像效果是不是比较模糊

internal camera is blurry in total darkness.

非常详细的比赛,太感谢了!
请问全黑无光情况下,内部摄像头录像效果是不是比较模糊

Very detailed match, thank you so much!
I would like to ask if the video recording effect of the internal camera is blurry in total darkness.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but in total darkness there is nothing to record.

我不确定你在问什么,但在完全黑暗的情况下没有什么可记录的。
哈哈,问的问题确实比较刁钻,看评测里拍的照片全黑下好像比较模糊,这个内摄对于出租车比较有用

Has anyone tested the heat output of the A229 Plus/Pro?
While the A229 Pro has heatsink (And the Plus does not), it records at a higher res (4K) which results in higher bitrate which equals to more heat.
I don't mind spending the $$$ for the Pro, however I need something that will survive heat better (As much as 40C in summer) and the one that heat less while in use (I will use my camera for front and rear only).
Any ideas?

The A229 Plus has a radiator as well as the A229 Pro.
Picture shows otherwise?

Picture shows otherwise?

Back