A229 Pro Test & Review PP

Does having ceramic tint with a CPL filter cause problems like rainbows?
Yes.
No.
Maybe.
It's complicated.
The only way to know for sure is to confirm & verify.
Sorry I'm no help. lol

1 Minute Video Clip (430MB) Download Speed Test
@rcg530 @safedrivesolutions @Vortex Radar

Viofo rolled out their new “wired” OTA Firmware Updates & Video Clip Downloads using the smartphone APP with 4 new YouTube video tutorials, (2 for iOS & 2 for Android);

In order to take advantage of the new data transfer protocol you must have;
1.)
Compatible Smartphone, (must have USB Type-C connection)
iPhone 15, or “newer” Android device
2.)
Compatible Dash Cam, (must have USB Type-C connection)
A139, A139 Pro
T130
A229 Duo, A229 Plus, A229 Pro
A119 Mini, A119 Mini 2
WM1
VS1
3.)
Standard USB 2.0 Type-C to Type-C Data Cable

Q: How much faster is the Type-C data transfer compared to 5GHz Wi-Fi when downloading a 1 Minute Clip (430MB)?
A: In order to get a benchmark time, I tested my iPhone SE 2020 with the A229 Pro.
It took 44 Seconds to download a 1 Minute Clip (430MB).
Unfortunately, I do not have a compatible USB Type-C smartphone to finish the comparison.
I’m hoping @rcg530 or @safedrivesolutions has a compatible smartphone / tablet and is willing to test it out, and maybe even document it with a short YouTube Video.

I wonder if this would work with older iPhones that use Lightning (e.g., USB Type-C to Lightning).

Getting the rainbow effect when adding a CPL Filter is usually due to aftermarket window tint, or even some factory window tint.
I guess this is one of the reasons CPL Filters do not come standard on all dash cams.
You can also try getting a black dashmat, or similar for your parcel shelf to cut down on window glare.
Oh yeah the CPL Filter is "directional", (see attached photo").
-Chuck
Is it purple or blue that is supposed to be on the outside?

Getting the rainbow effect when adding a CPL Filter is usually due to aftermarket window tint, or even some factory window tint.
I guess this is one of the reasons CPL Filters do not come standard on all dash cams.
You can also try getting a black dashmat, or similar for your parcel shelf to cut down on window glare.
Oh yeah the CPL Filter is "directional", (see attached photo").
-Chuck
Yeah I tried it both ways. The window tint is factory. Or at least on my cpo

1 Minute Video Clip (430MB) Download Speed Test
@rcg530 @safedrivesolutions @Vortex Radar

Viofo rolled out their new “wired” OTA Firmware Updates & Video Clip Downloads using the smartphone APP with 4 new YouTube video tutorials, (2 for iOS & 2 for Android);

In order to take advantage of the new data transfer protocol you must have;
1.)
Compatible Smartphone, (must have USB Type-C connection)
iPhone 15, or “newer” Android device
2.)
Compatible Dash Cam, (must have USB Type-C connection)
A139, A139 Pro
T130
A229 Duo, A229 Plus, A229 Pro
A119 Mini, A119 Mini 2
WM1
VS1
3.)
Standard USB 2.0 Type-C to Type-C Data Cable

Q: How much faster is the Type-C data transfer compared to 5GHz Wi-Fi when downloading a 1 Minute Clip (430MB)?
A: In order to get a benchmark time, I tested my iPhone SE 2020 with the A229 Pro.
It took 44 Seconds to download a 1 Minute Clip (430MB).
Unfortunately, I do not have a compatible USB Type-C smartphone to finish the comparison.
I’m hoping @rcg530 or @safedrivesolutions has a compatible smartphone / tablet and is willing to test it out, and maybe even document it with a short YouTube Video.

I have a pixel 5. My business partner may like this test. has 2 newer Samsung phones

So I tried that CPL filter for the back camera and I got this weird rainbow effect. Have you had this happen before? First picture is without, second is with.

See:

Strange Rainbows in Your Dash Cam Videos?

A black dash mat, if you can find a commercial one or make a DIY one to fit the back deck of your car will completely eliminate reflections without having to use the CPL (which is causing the rainbows due to your tinted windows). This is discussed and demonstrated in the above link.

Last edited:
My grey good not remembering what it is called, but @Dashmellow will know

It's called BIREFRINGENCE, pronounced bye-ree-frin-jense

Birefringence -
the splitting of a light wave into two unequally reflected or transmitted waves by an optically anisotropic medium.

Anisotropic - having physical properties that are different in measurement along different axes or directions. (CPL + windshield tint material = rainbows)

Last edited:
I tested downloading a 3-minute 641.1 MB video file from an A119 Mini 2 using the USB-C connection and via a 5 GHz WiFi connection.
  • A119 Mini 2
    • File
      • 3-Minute 641.1 MB video file
    • 5 GHz WiFi
      • 66 seconds
    • USB-C to USB-C
      • Android Tablet
        • Tripltek 8 Pro
        • Android 10
      • 44 seconds
While I do find using the USB-C connection to the VIOFO camera helpful in reducing file copy times, it would be helpful in the VIOFO app handled the process internally. Making the end user take several navigation steps in an external app to find/select/copy files may be more complicated than some are willing or capable of doing depending on their level of computer experience.

I tested downloading a 3-minute 641.1 MB video file from an A119 Mini 2 using the USB-C connection and via a 5 GHz WiFi connection.
  • A119 Mini 2
    • File
      • 3-Minute 641.1 MB video file
    • 5 GHz WiFi
      • 66 seconds
    • USB-C to USB-C
      • Android Tablet
        • Tripltek 8 Pro
        • Android 10
      • 44 seconds
While I do find using the USB-C connection to the VIOFO camera helpful in reducing file copy times, it would be helpful in the VIOFO app handled the process internally. Making the end user take several navigation steps in an external app to find/select/copy files may be more complicated than some are willing or capable of doing depending on their level of computer experience.
Thank you so much for the extra effort.
The speed test “difference” sounds a little disappointing.
I was expecting it to be at least 10 times as fast, (66 seconds down to 6.6 seconds).
66 seconds to 44 seconds does not sound like it’s worth all the extra effort you describe, (navigation steps, moving between APPs, find/select/copy files).
And yes this does sound complicated for the folks who already have trouble configuring their phone’s Wi-Fi, cellular data, VPN, and other settings just to connect to the camera’s Wi-Fi.
I can already see the support tickets, and DCT posts requesting tech support.
It looks like Viofo has some work to do to streamline the USB Type-C to Type-C data transfer method.
Maybe they have bitten off more they can chew with this new transfer protocol.
I’m hoping they can get it improved.

Do you have any “old firmware" you can downgrade to?
That way you can check if the “wired” OTA firmware update process is just as clunky.

Do you have any “old firmware" you can downgrade to?
That way you can check if the “wired” OTA firmware update process is just as clunky.
The firmware update process is going to be as complicated as the video file download process. The steps being to download the "bin" file(s) from the VIOFO website to the local device (phone/tablet) and then copying the file(s) to the root of the USB mounted file system from the dash camera. After power cycling the dash camera, the firmware update takes place on the next power up.

Has anyone discovered the optimal parking recording settings for the A229 Plus (or Pro)?

Has anyone discovered the optimal parking recording settings for the A229 Plus (or Pro)?
Viofo models have three parking modes.
It won’t take much time to check all three parking modes and choose the one that suits you.
Invest some of your time in checking the parking modes and choose the one that suits you.
Personally, I choose low bitrate recording. Someone else selects a motion recording. Well, the third one uses Time Laps.
Everyone has different tastes and preferences.

Has anyone discovered the optimal parking recording settings
“Best settings” are different for every person / use.
Film your own test footage, review it with your own eyeballs, use your best judgment, confirm & verify, do what’s best for your application.
1.) AED = All time leader for support tickets. lol
2.) Time Lapse = No Audio
3.) Low Bitrate = Most reliable / predictable behavior
Keep in mind the Hardwire kit is required for “reliable” parking mode operation.
We might get a new Viofo brand OBD2 Power Cable to enable parking mode around February 14, 2024.

“Best settings” are different for every person / use.
Film your own test footage, review it with your own eyeballs, use your best judgment, confirm & verify, do what’s best for your application.
1.) AED = All time leader for support tickets. lol
2.) Time Lapse = No Audio
3.) Low Bitrate = Most reliable / predictable behavior
Keep in mind the Hardwire kit is required for “reliable” parking mode operation.
We might get a new Viofo brand OBD2 Power Cable to enable parking mode around February 14, 2024.
All I need is something reliable with the ability to take a clear shot of license plate to make sure nobody hit my car and run :)

I will also install the HK4 hardwire kit.

Edit: Everything is working flawless so far with low bitrate mode on parking mode - However when parking recording is starting it is saying only 1 channel recording even though both (front and rear) work?

Last edited:
Have you tried it with your Pixel 5?
Did it work?
I ask my business partner to do it. I have been flat out busy. I do have an ipad pro i will probably try with as well. Backlogged with other content creation. It still should be done with app IMO. i do feel this will be a disaster. But maybe i am overthinking this

Edit: Everything is working flawless so far with low bitrate mode on parking mode - However when parking recording is starting it is saying only 1 channel recording even though both (front and rear) work?
Please report your malfunction directly to Viofo with an official support ticket so it can be documented, and fixed;

Please report your malfunction directly to Viofo with an official support ticket so it can be documented, and fixed;

This issue is mentioned in this thread. VIOFO has provided a test firmware to potentially resolve the incorrect announcement of the number of channels being recorded as it enters parking mode.

This issue is mentioned in this thread. VIOFO has provided a test firmware to potentially resolve the incorrect announcement of the number of channels being recorded as it enters parking mode.

Thanks, I couldn't remember what thread it was mentioned in.

Back