A229 Pro Test & Review PP

And how dare you Sir, refer to Arnold as low quality. lol
I don't think it was Arnold who wrote the script!

Lets have some reality on plasma weapons, and why you need a nuclear aircraft carrier instead of 40 watts from a dashcam battery pack:

Hi all.
Three months I'm using A229Pro 2Ch and have some experience I'd like to share with you.
Issue: dashcam turns off voice recording with corresponding message (approx. once in a week) and sometimes makes photo even I did not press any button on it. Being in touch with VIOFO support (good and friendly guys, by the way) we decided that Voice Control option triggers "Voice recording off" function. I'm always listening music while driving and chatting with a passenger (if someone travels with me).
Currently I'm testing dashcam with Voice control disabled and after day or two will update firmware to the latest version (I updated firmware when I got my dashcam but since then, new firmware become available).

Hi all.
Three months I'm using A229Pro 2Ch and have some experience I'd like to share with you.
Issue: dashcam turns off voice recording with corresponding message (approx. once in a week) and sometimes makes photo even I did not press any button on it. Being in touch with VIOFO support (good and friendly guys, by the way) we decided that Voice Control option triggers "Voice recording off" function. I'm always listening music while driving and chatting with a passenger (if someone travels with me).
Currently I'm testing dashcam with Voice control disabled and after day or two will update firmware to the latest version (I updated firmware when I got my dashcam but since then, new firmware become available).
Welcome to the club.
Please start your own thread to discuss your issues.
This thread is for my testing on my A229 Pro.
-Chuck

@viofo
New Firmware Test Footage V1.2_240227 - Daytime Highway

After reviewing 1 hours worth of test footage both day & night I’m pleased to report I do not see any dropped frames issues like I previously reported with firmware 1208 & 1207;
Cameras in the Car;
A139 Pro 1-CH: 0629
A229 Pro 2-CH Rear: 240227
A229 Plus 1-CH: 240227
A119 Mini 2: 231116 (front upgraded lens)
A119 Mini 2: 231116 (rear original lens)

FRONT;

REAR;

Last edited:
@viofo
New Firmware Test Footage V1.2_240227 - Daytime City

After reviewing 1 hours worth of test footage both day & night I’m pleased to report I do not see any dropped frames issues like I previously reported with firmware 1208 & 1207;
Cameras in the Car;

FRONT;

REAR;

Last edited:
@viofo
New Firmware Test Footage V1.2_240227 - Night Time City

Cameras in the Car;

FRONT;

Rear;

Last edited:
@viofo
New Firmware Test Footage V1.2_240227 - Night Time Highway

Cameras in the Car;

FRONT;

REAR;

Last edited:
A229 Pro - IR Interior - Traffic Stop Configuration

@viofo
@DashCamOnBoard
@laflaone
I just got done removing my A139 Pro 3-CH in “traffic stop” configuration.
I mounted both Rear & IR Interior cameras at the top of the A-Pillars looking diagonally rearward.
This POV is useful for seeing out the side windows for merging / changing lanes, and for potential traffic stops.
I replaced the A139 Pro with the A229 Pro.
Shoutout to @VIOFO-Support for sending out the new 1 Meter “short” cable for the Rear camera.
They are now available on the Viofo official website;
The “short” 1 Meter cable is necessary for this installation because the included 6 Meter cable is just too much to stuff up in the headliner.

Since I have two A229 Pro’s on hand I wanted to experiment what it would look like with two IR Interior cameras mounted on each A-Pillar, instead of my previous 1 Rear + 1 IR Interior.
So far I really like this configuration because it takes advantage of having twice the IR illumination from the IR LED Emitters.
I wish the A229 Pro’s Rear & IR Interior cameras were “modular” so you could operate a 3-CH system with two IR Interior cameras, or two Rear cameras.
This would provide greater flexibility of installation applications.
Q: What about the rear camera POV if both remote cameras are IR Interior?
A: Well I guess we need 4-CH capability next, and in the meantime just throw an A119 Mini 2 on the rear window.

I really wish Viofo would make the IR Interior cameras with a swivel mount with 360° adjustability “left & right” in addition to up & down.
In the mean time I have to resort to DIY with standard ¼ camera ball mounts.
Here’s some photos of the install, and POV’s

1 .jpg
2 .jpg
3 .jpg
4 .jpg
5 .PNG
6 .PNG
7 .PNG
8 .PNG
9 .PNG
10 .PNG

Here’s what it looks like in action;

Last edited:
A229 Pro - IR Interior - Traffic Stop Configuration

@viofo
@DashCamOnBoard
@laflaone
I just got done removing my A139 Pro 3-CH in “traffic stop” configuration.
I mounted both Rear & IR Interior cameras at the top of the A-Pillars looking diagonally rearward.
This POV is useful for seeing out the side windows for merging / changing lanes, and for potential traffic stops.
I replaced the A139 Pro with the A229 Pro.
Shoutout to @VIOFO-Support for sending out the new 1 Meter “short” cable for the Rear camera.
They are now available on the Viofo official website;
The “short” 1 Meter cable is necessary for this installation because the included 6 Meter cable is just too much to stuff up in the headliner.

Since I have two A229 Pro’s on hand I wanted to experiment what it would look like with two IR Interior cameras mounted on each A-Pillar, instead of my previous 1 Rear + 1 IR Interior.
So far I really like this configuration because it takes advantage of having twice the IR illumination from the IR LED Emitters.
I wish the A229 Pro’s Rear & IR Interior cameras were “modular” so you could operate a 3-CH system with two IR Interior cameras, or two Rear cameras.
This would provide greater flexibility of installation applications.
Q: What about the rear camera POV if both remote cameras are IR Interior?
A: Well I guess we need 4-CH capability next, and in the meantime just throw an A119 Mini 2 on the rear window.

I really wish Viofo would make the IR Interior cameras with a swivel mount with 360° adjustability “left & right” in addition to up & down.
In the mean time I have to resort to DIY with standard ¼ camera ball mounts.
Here’s some photos of the install, and POV’s

View attachment 71602
View attachment 71603
View attachment 71604
View attachment 71605
View attachment 71606
View attachment 71607
View attachment 71608
View attachment 71609
View attachment 71610
View attachment 71611

While previously comparing the A139 and A229 interior cameras, I noticed that since the A229 uses 4 IR lights, it illuminates a narrow area.
However, in practice, we see that 4 IR lights are quite sufficient. In addition, the operation of the sensor and its ability to adapt the image make it one step ahead of the a139 series.

If you remember, when using automatic IR, there was a situation where the camera went wrong because the lights hit the objects and bounced back. I can say that the sensor is a very good solution to this

While previously comparing the A139 and A229 interior cameras, I noticed that since the A229 uses 4 IR lights, it illuminates a narrow area.
However, in practice, we see that 4 IR lights are quite sufficient.
I disagree.
The reason it looks sufficient is because there are two sets IR LED Emitters illuminating the passenger compartment from two different vantage points.
When only one IR Interior camera is used the “night time” FOV is reduced.
We still need the 6 LED Emitters for the A229 Pro IR Interior camera.

1.) A229 Pro vs. A139 Pro .jpg
A229 Pro .png
A139 Pro .png

In addition, the operation of the sensor and its ability to adapt the image make it one step ahead of the a139 series.

If you remember, when using automatic IR, there was a situation where the camera went wrong because the lights hit the objects and bounced back. I can say that the sensor is a very good solution to this
I agree.
The light sensor works well to switch between color & black and white.
That's why I kept turning the dome light on/off to show how quickly it can switch between color & black and white.
But I still think the light sensor should be relocated so we can have the full 6 IR LED Emitters back.

I disagree.
The reason it looks sufficient is because there are two sets IR LED Emitters illuminating the passenger compartment from two different vantage points.
When only one IR Interior camera is used the “night time” FOV is reduced.
We still need the 6 LED Emitters for the A229 Pro IR Interior camera.

View attachment 71615
View attachment 71616
View attachment 71617

I agree.
The light sensor works well to switch between color & black and white.
That's why I kept turning the dome light on/off to show how quickly it can switch between color & black and white.
But I still think the light sensor should be relocated so we can have the full 6 IR LED Emitters back.

Yes, then there are 8 lights in the image.
By the way, there are 4 lights in T130. It gives better performance when the image sensor is different.

@viofo 5 IR lights and 1 sensor can also work if the light sensor and IR LEDs need to face the same side. The fifth IR light can be placed opposite the sensor. just like a139. Since it will be more functional in commercial vehicles, the field of view can be expanded by mounting the fifth IR LED on the passenger side..

5 IR lights and 1 sensor can also work
I must have all 6 IR LED Emitters back. lol
Maybe they need to enlarge the case a bit.
I’m hoping the IR Interior cameras get redesigned with a 360° swivel mount so the camera can be adjusted left & right, in addition to up & down.

A229 Pro - Side Cameras

@viofo @VIOFO-Support @Vortex Radar @evad
In my last post I experimented by installing two IR Interior cameras mounted at the top of my A-Pillars for “traffic stop configuration”.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a229-pro-test-review-pp.49779/post-615623
I like ‘em so much, I’m going to leave them “permanently”.
Q: What should I do with the two REAR cameras?
A: How about Left & Right side cameras.
Side cameras are nothing new, people have been doing it for many years.
October 2020 I made my first 4-CH system with two units of Viofo A129 Plus Duo’s.

I didn’t plan on making a 4-CH system at the beginning.
I only wanted the two main / front units for front & rear because they were 2K60fps capable.
And, after seeing the 1080p 30fps image quality from the rear cameras they were disappointing.
I let both rear cameras sit in the box in my closet doing nothing, when I realized why don’t I put them to use as side cameras.
So, I installed the rear cameras as side cameras on the fixed window in my rear passenger doors.
Installation was a pain in the rear because I had to remove the door panels, and run the cabling through the waterproof rubber ducting in the door jam along with the factory wiring for the power windows, and locks.
But it was worth the extra labor because it turn out pretty clean with no visible wires.
I quickly realized the benefit of side cameras.
When the main cameras on the front & rear windows failed to capture a license plate 9 times out of 10 one of the side cameras would get a good read.

This time around I was not willing to do the same labor intensive wiring install.
I also did not like the 90° angle (perpendicular) POV of the rear cameras because objects seem to zip past faster than I’d like.
This time I would prefer an angled cant to point the cameras rearward towards the blindspot.
This should “slow down” passing cars.
Well after reviewing some test footage I really like these side camera POV’s much more than my first install in 2020.
I’m not proud of the exposed ugly AF wiring, and this is just temporary until I figure out how to make in cleaner.
Here’s some photos;

1.) Driver & Passenger Side .jpg
2.) Left & Right Side Cameras .jpg
3.) Driver Side .jpg
4.) Driver Side .jpg
5.) Passenger Side .jpg
6.) Passenger Side .jpg
7.) Left & Right Side Cameras .png

Here’s what the look like in action;

Left & Right Side Cameras - Highway;

Left & Right Side Cameras - City;

Here’s a clip from the IR Interior camera so you can see how the side cameras are mounted;

Last edited:
A229 Pro - Side Cameras

@viofo @VIOFO-Support @Vortex Radar
In my last post I experimented by installing two IR Interior cameras mounted at the top of my A-Pillars for “traffic stop configuration”.
I like ‘em so much, I’m going to leave them “permanently”.
Q: What should I do with the two REAR cameras?
A: How about Left & Right side cameras.
Side cameras are nothing new, people have been doing it for many years.
October 2020 I made my first 4-CH system with two units of Viofo A129 Plus Duo’s.

I didn’t plan on making a 4-CH system at the beginning.
I only wanted the two main / front units for front & rear because they were 2K60fps capable.
And, after seeing the 1080p 30fps image quality from the rear cameras they were disappointing.
I let both rear cameras sit in the box in my closet doing nothing, when I realized why don’t I put them to use as side cameras.
So, I installed the rear cameras as side cameras on the fixed window in my rear passenger doors.
Installation was a pain in the rear because I had to remove the door panels, and run the cabling through the waterproof rubber ducting in the door jam along with the factory wiring for the power windows, and locks.
But it was worth the extra labor because it turn out pretty clean with no visible wires.
I quickly realized the benefit of side cameras.
When the main cameras on the front & rear windows failed to capture a license plate 9 times out of 10 one of the side cameras would get a good read.

This time around I was not willing to do the same labor intensive wiring install.
I also did not like the 90° angle (perpendicular) POV of the rear cameras because objects seem to zip past faster than I’d like.
This time I would prefer an angled cant to point the cameras rearward towards the blindspot.
This should “slow down” passing cars.
Well after reviewing some test footage I really like these side camera POV’s much more than my first install in 2020.
I’m not proud of the exposed ugly AF wiring, and this is just temporary until I figure out how to make in cleaner.
Here’s some photos;

View attachment 71679
View attachment 71680
View attachment 71681
View attachment 71682
View attachment 71683
View attachment 71684
View attachment 71685

Here’s what the look like in action;

Left & Right Side Cameras - Highway;

Left & Right Side Cameras - City;

Here’s a clip from the IR Interior camera so you can see how the side cameras are mounted;

Not a bad setup, not bad at all

Not a bad setup, not bad at all
Thank you.
I used to think 4-CH was overkill.
Now I think 7-CH is just right.
I challenge you to make a multi POV set up with what you have on hand.

Edited post just to remove duplicating what is in the previous post.

Looks good.

Nice job.

To get that result are you using a Pro and a Plus using the third camera on both or the rear cameras as I see you also have a A139 Pro? on the windscreen as well.

On the A229 Pro I know you can't turn off HDR which is a shame as the image would be just that little better for the side cameras if it could be shut off like the front camera with the auto mode can.

I'm sure you have noticed the doubling effect HDR has during the day. Here is an example of what I'm talking about.
With HDR off if it was possible would just make it better.
Nice example. Ok @viofo when are you releasing a Viofo 4ch dashcam like Panzer has demonstrated? Use 2x processors!

Chuck Panzer DCT website screen shot of side camera with HDR enabled.png

Nice job.

To get that result are you using a Pro and a Plus using the third camera on both or the rear cameras as I see you also have a A139 Pro? on the windscreen as well.
Thank you.
I apologize for my brevity, and lack of details on this side camera post.
I’m writing another posts called ‘9-CH Dash Cam” .
Basically two A229 Pro’s, and one A229 Plus.
The A139 Pro & A119 Mini 2 are on my front windshield because I haven’t removed them yet.

On the A229 Pro I know you can't turn off HDR
I've been crying, and complaining about individual HDR on/off settings for the front / rear / interior cameras since September 2023.
When I saw my Vantrue S1 Pro has individual HDR on/off settings for the front/rear cameras.
My cries have fallen on deaf ears.

3 IR Interior Cameras

In my last two posts I experimented by installing 2 IR Interior cameras mounted at the top of my A-Pillars for a “traffic stop configuration”.
And 2 Rear cameras mounted at the top of my B-Pillars as Left & Right side cameras.
For rear coverage I installed a third IR Interior camera mounted at the top center of the rear window.
The third IR Interior camera is connected to an A229 Pro, also mounted on the rear window.
Here’s some photos, and screenshots;

8-CH Dash Cam .jpg
1.) A229 Pro - Rear Unit .jpg
IR Interior (1) .png
IR Interior (2) .png
IR Interior (3) .png

Back