A229 Pro Test & Review PP

I tested downloading a 3-minute 641.1 MB video file from an A119 Mini 2 using the USB-C connection and via a 5 GHz WiFi connection.
  • A119 Mini 2
    • File
      • 3-Minute 641.1 MB video file
    • 5 GHz WiFi
      • 66 seconds
    • USB-C to USB-C
      • Android Tablet
        • Tripltek 8 Pro
        • Android 10
      • 44 seconds
While I do find using the USB-C connection to the VIOFO camera helpful in reducing file copy times, it would be helpful in the VIOFO app handled the process internally. Making the end user take several navigation steps in an external app to find/select/copy files may be more complicated than some are willing or capable of doing depending on their level of computer experience.
Viofo updated the A229 Pro homepage to include Type-C to Type-C Data Transfer.
It indicates 20MB/s on iPhone 15.
Does this “math” with your Android Tablet test (641.1 MB = 44 Seconds)?
Does this mean Android is approximately 15MB/s?

20MB per second .png

Does this mean Android is approximately 15MB/s?
641.1 / 44 = 14.57 MBytes per second.

It indicates 20MB/s on iPhone 15.
That is about the maximum you will ever get on a USB 2.0 card reader.

Does it work any faster using a USB 3.0 cable?

While I do find using the USB-C connection to the VIOFO camera helpful in reducing file copy times, it would be helpful in the VIOFO app handled the process internally. Making the end user take several navigation steps in an external app to find/select/copy files may be more complicated than some are willing or capable of doing depending on their level of computer experience.
I want the dashcam to appear as a card reader in the file manager, but you are correct that many people would like to be able to use the camera app to access those files as they do the files accessed over wifi, so that they can use all the normal features of the app such as viewing the video with GPS tracks on the map, downloading the files to the phone memory, and uploading them to the cloud,

Does it work any faster using a USB 3.0 cable?
Using 5GHz Wi-Fi it takes 44 Seconds to download a 1 Minute Clip (430MB) A229 Pro to my iPhone SE 2020.
Using the Type-C to Type-C method on iPhone 15 I was expecting 0.89 Seconds.
Obviously I was laughably wrong. lol
Does this mean it will actually take 21.5 Seconds?
430MB ÷ 20MB/s = 21.5 Seconds
That’s only “twice” as fast.
What is the bottleneck?

Screenshot 2024-02-02 7.06.29 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-02 7.10.38 AM.png
A229 Pro 1 Minute Clip 430MB .jpg

What is the bottleneck?
Yes, twice as fast in a single update is fantastic!

The bottleneck is probably the microSD card reader, and I hope that future dashcams will have a faster card reader so that they can take better advantage of the faster USB, although with USB 2.0, I think we can only expect 30MB/s, but one step at a time... if you upgrade everything to ultimate in one go then you would never need to buy a new dashcam in the future... and there would be so many problems to sort in one go that it would be unusable!

Does this mean it will actually take 21.5 Seconds?
430MB ÷ 20MB/s = 21.5 Seconds
What is the bottleneck?
It'll most likely be up to two times faster, but in reality, it will be more like 1.5 times as it's never as good as it sounds.
The bottleneck is probably the microSD card reader
The most costly part of data transfer is always read/write operations, that's why you can have extremely fast network speeds, but be limited on downloads by your storage. And with speed comes unreliability, that's why HDD is the most reliable, but relatively slow, while SSDs are faster, but storage space degrades with time and manufacturers keep buffers.

I mean faster speeds are good, but in reality it wouldn't matter if you want to save a couple of videos at a time, but for multiple it would make sense, at least in my opinion, even with saving through app and not file explorer, considering the extra hassle of disconnecting the rear cam, connecting the phone and reversing the process afterwards

Is there a quick summary of if the Pro is worth the extra $100 over the Plus? Especially if we plan to put it in 2k anyway? Or is the Plus low light that much better, just sacrificing 4k which I don't personally think I'd need, and probably will keep the Pro in 2K to prevent overheating here anyway...
It's too early to say.
We are waiting on firmware to fix the night time HDR performance of both cameras.
As well as some color / brightness flickering issues.
It is possible say something now?
I am going to buy my first dashcam.
Choosing between a229 pro vs plus.
Does 4k worth the extra money(where i live it is 75$, cpl filter included in both versions).
How i understand 4k vs 2k is the main difference between pro and plus.

It is possible say something now?
I am going to buy my first dashcam.
Choosing between a229 pro vs plus.
Does 4k worth the extra money(where i live it is 75$, cpl filter included in both versions).
How i understand 4k vs 2k is the main difference between pro and plus.
Welcome to the club.
We got a new official firmware 2 days ago, I have not tested the image quality yet.
I’m still testing other parts of the firmware.
My recommendation for A229 Pro vs. A229 Plus depends on what configuration you will use.
If you need 3-CH configuration I would lean towards the A229 Plus.
If you need 2-CH REAR I would lean towards the A229 Pro.
In you need 1-CH configuration I would lean towards A229 Pro.
Can you tell me more about your system needs / application?
-Chuck

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
“Disable GPS in Parking Mode”

I tested the power consumption difference of disabling the GPS in Low Bitrate Parking Mode.
Power consumption is reduced by approximately 0.252 Watts, (12.60 x 20mA = 0.252 Watts).
This means when operating the A229 Pro in 2-CH Rear configuration with a 96Wh dash cam battery pack you will get an extra 56 Minutes of parking mode run time.
96Wh ÷ 5.2038 Watts = 18 Hr 27 Min
96Wh ÷ 4.9518 Watts = 19 Hr 23 Min
Additional Run Time = 56 Minutes
Good job Viofo, thank you for restoring this setting.

Attachments

• 1 .png
    1 .png
    49.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Welcome to the club.
We got a new official firmware 2 days ago, I have not tested the image quality yet.
I’m still testing other parts of the firmware.
My recommendation for A229 Pro vs. A229 Plus depends on what configuration you will use.
If you need 3-CH configuration I would lean towards the A229 Plus.
If you need 2-CH REAR I would lean towards the A229 Pro.
In you need 1-CH configuration I would lean towards A229 Pro.
Can you tell me more about your system needs / application?
-Chuck
"needs / application?" dashcam for my own car, no uber or something like that...
After watching footage in this thread and youtube 'a229 pro vs plus', i think plus is enough for me. A little bit worse quality image at zoom, but in general similar results and good price.

I wanted 2-CH but 3-CH just 30$ more, seems good deal. For me interior cam will be useful in parking mode, if something happens it can give a little more footage. But i have concern is about power draw, i want use HK4 kit and connect it to car battery, no additional power bank.
Does additional interior cam draw significantly more power than 2-CH?
And generally how long car battery last before HK kit turns off dashcam?

Does additional interior cam draw significantly more power than 2-CH?
And generally how long car battery last before HK kit turns off dashcam?
A229 Plus power consumption in Low Bitrate Parking Mode is approximately;
2-CH = 5 Watts
3-CH = 6 Watts

Your vehicle starter battery depending on size, age, and health condition will usually provide 1-6 hours of parking mode.
If you need / want 24+ hours of parking mode you may need a dash cam battery pack.

?? My battery is 80 Ah (diesel start-stop). If it is 50% charged - and I use half of it, .... then I get 20 Ah/0.5 A = 40 hours of parking.

Last edited:
@viofo @VIOFO-Support
“Disable GPS in Parking Mode”

I tested the power consumption difference of disabling the GPS in Low Bitrate Parking Mode.
Power consumption is reduced by approximately 0.252 Watts, (12.60 x 20mA = 0.252 Watts).
This means when operating the A229 Pro in 2-CH Rear configuration with a 96Wh dash cam battery pack you will get an extra 56 Minutes of parking mode run time.
96Wh ÷ 5.2038 Watts = 18 Hr 27 Min
96Wh ÷ 4.9518 Watts = 19 Hr 23 Min
Additional Run Time = 56 Minutes
Good job Viofo, thank you for restoring this setting.
I've just updated to the newest FW and the app is up to date, but I don't see either of these new options. :bored:

I've just updated to the newest FW and the app is up to date, but I don't see either of these new options. :bored:
The app does not display those new settings yet. You can only see/change those settings in the firmware settings menu on the camera.

Video Settings > Parking Recording > Parking GPS
Video Settings > Stamp > HDR Stamp

a229_pro_12_240227_settings.png

New Firmware V1.2 240227 - Night Time HDR Performance

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
I said the previous V1.1 231208 Firmware night time HDR Performance was 90% “complete / finished” based on comparison with the A139 Pro & A119 Mini 2.
I’m pleased to report so far I see an improvement to approximately 95% of capability, (5% left for improvement).
Take note of the vertical streaks coming from the car’s headlights in the background, and the price sign, (I saw this in previous driving test footage of 1208 firmware).
I have another static comparison to show further improvement, (next post).
I’m a little disappointed the A229 Pro cannot match the night time HDR performance of the A139 Pro & A119 Mini, but what you get is an overall brighter image with much more detail in the dark parts of the frame where you can’t see much with the A139 Pro & A119 Mini 2, (big improvement over the A139 Pro).

Before I gather “DRIVING” test footage I wanted to check for improvements with these static shots.
Stay tuned for driving test footage of my regular city & highway test loop.
Cameras on the test rig;
A229 Pro Front 1-CH: Firmware 231208
A229 Pro Front 1-CH: Firmware 240227
A139 Pro Front 1-CH: Firmware 230629
A119 Mini 2: Firmware 231116
-Chuck

1 .png
2 .png
3 .png
4 .png

Here is the test footage the screenshots were taken from;

Take note of the vertical streaks coming from the car’s headlights in the background, and the price sign, (I saw this in previous driving test footage of 1208 firmware).
What is causing that?
Normally, I would suggest that it was a dirty windscreen, but you don't appear to have a windscreen.
On the A139 Pro video, there are clear signs of "star burst" from wiper blades, but again you don't appear to have a windscreen, so you can't have wipers!

Did you clean the lenses and CPL filters before the test? If so, how?
For cleaning lenses and CPLs, for tests like these, I strongly recommend a LensPen, a genuine one, not a copy.

What is causing that?
It’s the firmware.

Vertical Streaks .png

You can see how bad it was with V1.0 231103
Turn up the volume to see the streak better.
See it at 1:32

Did you clean the lenses and CPL filters before the test? If so, how?
Yes.
I use an official Vanture CPL Filter microfiber cloth, and Nikon Lens Pen;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0014ZADVQ
So nyah.
Why don't you take your Genuine LensPen, and clean your monitor, and wipe the morning crust out of your eyeballs? lol

Microfiber CPL Filter Cloth (1) .jpg
Nikon Lens Pen .jpg

Last edited:
It’s the firmware.
I am not convinced.

Have you done a test where you have the issue, swap the firmware without making any other changes, and then see the issue disappear the same night on the same camera? Clearly your images above from the different firmwares are also from different cameras.

See it at 1:32
I also see it at 2:02, where there is a clear difference in angle of the streaks between the car in the centre of the image and the car to the left of centre. There it looks as though the cars in the centre are seen through a bit of windshield where the wipers are vertical and the cars to the left are seen through a bit of windshield wiped by the other wiper where it is at 10°.

I put these streaks down to dirt or scratches in the windshield, probably caused by the wiper blades. The streaks in your no windshield videos can't be caused by that though!

Just curious, why the recommendation of the A229 Plus over the Pro in 3 Channel configuration? Current draw? Performance issues with the Pro? Heat generated?

Back