A229 Pro Test & Review PP

All those little white specs are rock chips.
Yea. my windshield has lots of specs, pits, or whatever all over. Maybe very tiny rock chips,? Idk. They only show when sunlight is at right angle. The larger rock chips i have, one of which had to be filled with epoxy, are diffent than the specs all over the whole glass. Not sure how to go about trying to clean or "repair" the glass.

My windshield is the same, tons of tiny chips. Been wanting to replace but I have a dying family member and a 3 State trip ahead of me. I will until wait after the trip is finished to replace the windshield.

Living where I do on a dirt road on a mountain, "sandblasted" windshields are a chronic problem. To make matters worse, I live in a cold climate that gets a lot of snow and ice during the winter and the road crew spreads sand and chloride when things get bad and this only exacerbates the problem. A couple of years ago I had to replace my windshield because it became so pitted that it became a serious safety hazard at night and when the sun hit the glass at certain angles. Shortly after I had the windshield replaced we had a fierce windstorm one night with 50 mph gusts up here on the mountain and I woke up to find my new windshield covered with tiny pockmarks from particles of dirt and sand that had blown off the dirt road and hit my truck parked in my driveway.

As an experiment I thoroughly cleaned the glass and then polished the windshield with 3 coats of Nu Finish car polish. While it didn't exactly cure the problem the polymers in Nu Finish seem to fill some of the smaller pockmarks enough to reduce their visibility.

nufinish.jpg

Horizon Line Adjustment Comparison @Mtz

I did a practice run to see if I could align the 4 cameras on my front windshield with identical lens adjustment, (50/50 road & sky).
A229 Pro
A139 Pro
A119 Mini 2
A229 Plus
It looks like I failed miserably.
@rcg530 was kind enough to put a white line in the middle of each screenshot for me, (thank you Robert).
Check out the "broken down" Tesla, all the tires are round so, I'm hoping "Battery Aziz". lol

1. ) A229 Pro .png
2.) A139 Pro .png
3.) A119 Mini 2 .png
4.) A229 Plus .png

Here’s the videos;

Battery Aziz;

Your dashcams are aligned nice, only the Mini 2 needs a little more work and maybe A 229+.

I explained in the other thread to make screenshots with the APP in live view.
If you have one good alignment for one dashcam you can align them all even at home in your garage.
Normally you should align at best the dashcam which has lens rotation with click. For example A229. After you are sure the A229 is aligned OK you can align the others, A139 rotation has no clicks.

Take a screenshot on your smartphone from A229 Viofo App live view.
Connect APP to the next camera. Take a screenshot from its live view. Then compare by swipe between screenshots. Then delete the bad screenshot and adjust again. And so on.
Of course because of different mount position and lens angle some things will look different but the most important place to compare is exactly the middle of the screenshots. That is more a point, not a line.
Of course if Viofo App had that line I requested, it was more easy to compare screenshots. If there is no helping line on the smartphone display you need to invent something to mark the middle of the display. :cool:For example a cutter and scratch the entire smartphone screen at the middle.:cool:

I did a practice run to see if I could align the 4 cameras on my front windshield with identical lens adjustment, (50/50 road & sky).
A229 Pro
A139 Pro
A119 Mini 2
A229 Plus
@rcg530 was kind enough to put a white line in the middle of each screenshot for me, (thank you Robert).
Check out the "broken down" Tesla, all the tires are round so, I'm hoping "Battery Aziz". lol

View attachment 68905
View attachment 68906
View attachment 68907
View attachment 68908

Here’s the videos;

Battery Aziz;
Probably @VIOFO-Support will put a guide into the application in the future.
By the way, in case of finding the exact middle point, as I mentioned before, on a straight road, with the farthest point of the road, as you mentioned, 50% sky and 50% road.
While live dual view in multi-camera helps align this point, single cameras remain.

While live dual view in multi-camera helps align this point, single cameras remain.
Yes, the secondary image ends at the middle of the screen, so you can use it to know where is the center.

A229 Pro
A139 Pro
A119 Mini 2
A229 Plus

View attachment 68905
View attachment 68906
View attachment 68907
View attachment 68908

Here’s the videos;

Battery Aziz;
This line in the image to align the cam, very good idea. Wish this was built into all their cams. Though, it would have to be certain it is adjusted for each resolution the camera can be set in, since the center of image would not be the same in 16:9 as it would be in ultrawide or 4:3 etc.

If you have one good alignment for one dashcam you can align them all even at home in your garage.
Normally you should align at best the dashcam which has lens rotation with click. For example A229. After you are sure the A229 is aligned OK you can align the others, A139 rotation has no clicks.

Take a screenshot on your smartphone from A229 Viofo App live view.
Connect APP to the next camera. Take a screenshot from its live view. Then compare by swipe between screenshots. Then delete the bad screenshot and adjust again. And so on.
Thank you, I just might try that.

That scene in true lies was hilarious.
I never realized the guy's name was "Aziz" until after the 5th time I watched the movie.
I thought the camera man was just saying "Batteries" with a thick accent. LMAO!

I sure wish @viofo would release the new smartphone APP with superimposed alignment lines on the Live View to make this job easier.
I hope you will more lucky than me few years ago when asking for the HLA. But I consider the vertical line should be not implemented. It is too technical, normal people don't need it and it also can be frustrating because the Viofo dashcams have fixed mounts, the lens cannot be rotated to left or right, the dashcam cannot be mounted in the middle of the windshield because of the rearview mirror and sensors box. So the dashcam will be almost never centered and that vertical line will draw user attention that the camera is not mounted perfect into the center. But who knows, the vertical line will be requested maybe in few years if Viofo will accept the idea of a dashcam mounted at the middle of the windshield, no matter the rearview mirror. :cool:

In all those Viofo years they implemented few things that I requested, I still hope to implement at least 2-3 from now but my feeling is that thew will implement in the future less and less I request.
The feature I am the most proud is the blinking LED when no recording and the beeps when no recording. Those were invented by me and no dashcam had them before Viofo A119. I always asked myself: who wants a fcking LED blinking in the front of their eyes when they are driving? „Are they stupid?”
From the first day of a Viofo with a solid REC LED I decided to never buy a dashcam with a blinking LED. I am lucky because Viofo brings the newest technology so until no I cannot go for another dashcam brand.
Going back to implementations, not all ideas accepted and implemented by Viofo were good, so before I am asking something I always think much more than twice.

For @Nigel
Have some fine-toothed comb fun with these. lol
A229 Pro: Front Firmware 1009 CPL Filter On
A229 Pro: Rear Firmware 0928
A229 Plus: Front Firmware 1009 CPL Filter On

Attachments

• A229 Plus 1-CH .png
    A229 Plus 1-CH .png
    106.8 KB · Views: 15
  • A229 Pro 2-CH Rear .png
    A229 Pro 2-CH Rear .png
    111 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
For @Nigel
Have some fine-toothed comb fun with these. lol
A229 Pro: Front Firmware 1009 CPL Filter On
A229 Pro: Rear Firmware 0928
A229 Plus: Front Firmware 1009 CPL Filter On

Interesting, thanks for the vids.
I took a screen shot of the pro and the plus below.
The screen shot is taken with the pro at double the bitrate...so the pro has better clarity.
Notice the clarity in the crack on the road with the 4k @ 57 Mbps
Number plate top one is PLUS 29 Kbps and bottom one is PRO 57Kbps

Attachments

• Screenshot (268).png
    Screenshot (268).png
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot (269).png
    Screenshot (269).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • pp2.png
    pp2.png
    541.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The GPS playback in Viofo app for A229 Pro work in your side like in image below?

I still try to find a way how to app show me also the position of the car in playback/download mode but on my side didn't work.

Attachments

• 1000060051.png
    1000060051.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
The GPS playback in Viofo app for A229 Pro work in your side like in image below?

I still try to find a way how to app show me also the position of the car in playback/download mode but on my side didn't work.
I have never seen this capability with Viofo dash cams.
The attached image your provided does not look like the Viofo APP.
Can you confirm @viofo @VIOFO-Support @rcg530 ?

I have never seen this capability with Viofo dash cams.
The attached image your provided does not look like the Viofo APP.
Can you confirm @viofo @VIOFO-Support @rcg530 ?
For example, here Viofo confirm this capability:

And in their site advertise like this, I let you some examples.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-112655.png
    Screenshot_20231106-112655.png
    827.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231106-112625.png
    Screenshot_20231106-112625.png
    730 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
For example, here Viofo confirm this capability:

And in their site advertise like this, I let you some examples.
@Panzer Platform @SergiuC

To capture this image, you must first download the video with the download button in the corner of the application.

Then, your device must be connected to the internet in order to see the GPS data on the map in this image.
Since there is no ready map in the application, it allows you to see it online.
So it is possible to capture this image.

Last edited:
Back