A229 Pro, when?

Nope, it was Velcro - see the picture of the camera lens.

This was, if I remember correctly, my first dash cam related DIY. The camera was a Spy Tech A118-C back in early summer of 2015. That particular camera was lacking in low light capability so filter removal for night driving was pretty much a must.

Surprisingly this polarizing filter method work very well for me until camera manufacturers began providing them and it became easier (and esthetically better, but not cheaper) than a DIY solution.

Looks like dual lock in the photo of the filter.

Oh this is very good news. I'd been pondering upgrading to the A229, but had thought there could be a Plus / Pro version coming at some time, so why not wait a bit to see if that happens. Obviously it's still a bit of time away from being publicly available, but we'll have test reviews as well, so fingers crossed it's a good as I'm hoping it will be.

Probably because it's 'industrial strength' Velcro versus consumer grade.

View attachment 66475

Yeah, it's definitely not "hook & loop"; that's what confused me. It's more like a hybrid between the 3M dual lock "mushroom" design and Velcro loops. I happen to have a high strength Velcro tape here that uses a different "hook" design still.

In any event, I recall your DIY polarizer and it was one of the better ones of the different designs people were experimenting with back then before dash cam CPLs became standard factory supplied items.

There is a small batch will be prepared in August, so we can offer some samples to DCT members for early testing.

The A229 Pro 2CH is a 4K 30fps + 2K 30fps dashcam, both front and rear support HDR and use STARVIS 2 sensor, and up to 3 channels option.

BTW There is also a A229 Plus 2CH which support 2K + 2K.
Is the plan still to send out samples this month?

From the information I have gathered it does not look like it.
Bummer, I got a new car recently and only transferred the main camera from my A129 Duo Pro. Am waiting to replace it with A229 Pro to avoid having to rerun the rear camera cable. The coax cable should also give a cleaner run as well.

Bummer, I got a new car recently and only transferred the main camera from my A129 Duo Pro. Am waiting to replace it with A229 Pro to avoid having to rerun the rear camera cable. The coax cable should also give a cleaner run as well.
I was asking for it. I was told not ready yet.

Hurry up and wait! It's an old story. I've noticed that with many products, including dash cams, manufacturers like to wait until the Fall to introduce new products leading into the Holiday buying season. August isn't always the best time to put a new product out there. Perhaps that's a factor here?

Hurry up and wait! It's an old story. I've noticed that with many products, including dash cams, manufacturers like to wait until the Fall to introduce new products leading into the Holiday buying season. August isn't always the best time to put a new product out there. Perhaps that's a factor here?
Would be smart to get it tested now, get rid of the bugs for a solid October launch. But we will wait and see. :)

How does one put their name into running for one of these sample units? Is it just the big name reviewers? I assume you are still buying it at the regular price, right?

Am I right in thinking that you want a sample for review, thus one with almost all the bugs removed? In which case your sample will likely not be the first to be sent out, and the fact it is not ready doesn't mean that no samples will be released this month...

Am I right in thinking that you want a sample for review, thus one with almost all the bugs removed? In which case your sample will likely not be the first to be sent out, and the fact it is not ready doesn't mean that no samples will be released this month...
I have always gotten production models. Viofo has never sent me pre production yet.

FYI...
I contacted Viofo here in Australia today, asking when we might expect the rumored A229 Pro.

Viofo Australia said:
Thank you for reaching out to us.

The A229 Pro will be released in the middle of next month. The front
camera comes with the Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 5MP Sensor and the rear with
Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 5MP Sensor.

Kind Regards,

Support Team

---
VIOFO AUSTRALIA

I'd expect this model to be available in North America etc around the same time.

Dreams about both STARVIS2 sensors comes true. Waiting for review sample. (y)

Back