A229 Pro, when?

FYI...
I contacted Viofo here in Australia today, asking when we might expect the rumored A229 Pro.

I'd expect this model to be available in North America etc around the same time.
This is awesome. Hopefully both front and rear does 2k 60Hz with HDR. Whats the difference between IMX678 and IMX 675 ?

Thanks for that. 4k 30FPS front and 2k 60FPS at the back then ?
2K60FPS front and back should have been good.
Looks like its gooing to be expensive than A139 pro!

I doubt the back will be 60 fps. You do not really get much benefit from going from 30 to 60 other then the number of the screen saying 60. You can lookup videos where they compare the two and show no real world benefit.

Are you sure ?. I think 60FPS video is better at reading plates of a moving car than 30FPS one.
Sure if you keep the same resolution you can see some benefit, but you usually have to drop the resolution to up the frame rate and the resolution makes much more of a difference. I would rather they keep the price down a limit the hardware to 30 fps. It is not just a matter of the sensor being able to push out 60 frames every second, you also need the hardware to accept them and do the processing/storage.

Are you sure ?. I think 60FPS video is better at reading plates of a moving car than 30FPS one.

30fps is sufficient for reading plates, 60fps does not improve plate readability. If you have 2x the number of frames then you need 2x the bitrate to get the same quality, normally it is better to use the extra bitrate on improving the 30fps image quality than to use it on 60fps. There are a few exceptions, such as for use on race tracks where people are driving 2x faster than normal.

The real benefit of 60fps is that you get smoother videos, they are much better to watch, especially for dashcam video where we use very fast exposure times to avoid motion blur on plates, so it will be very nice to have a dashcam that can give good quality 60fps front video. I'm not sure 60fps rear video is needed though, people rarely make road movies using rear camera footage, and if someone wants to do it professionally then they could use two A229 Pro for front and back.

I am expecting a 2 channel A229 Pro price to be less than a 3 channel A139 Pro. It does have a newer and more powerful processor, with a few new features, so it would be reasonable for it to be more than a 2 channel A139 Pro, but maybe the 2 channel A139 Pro price will drop and the A229 Pro will take the current 2 channel A139 price.

Pity it doesn't have the IMX 585 image sensor in the graph above, that has single frame HDR :cool:

30fps is sufficient for reading plates, 60fps does not improve plate readability. If you have 2x the number of frames then you need 2x the bitrate to get the same quality, normally it is better to use the extra bitrate on improving the 30fps image quality than to use it on 60fps. There are a few exceptions, such as for use on race tracks where people are driving 2x faster than normal.

The real benefit of 60fps is that you get smoother videos, they are much better to watch, especially for dashcam video where we use very fast exposure times to avoid motion blur on plates, so it will be very nice to have a dashcam that can give good quality 60fps front video. I'm not sure 60fps rear video is needed though, people rarely make road movies using rear camera footage, and if someone wants to do it professionally then they could use two A229 Pro for front and back.

I am expecting a 2 channel A229 Pro price to be less than a 3 channel A139 Pro. It does have a newer and more powerful processor, with a few new features, so it would be reasonable for it to be more than a 2 channel A139 Pro, but maybe the 2 channel A139 Pro price will drop and the A229 Pro will take the current 2 channel A139 price.

Pity it doesn't have the IMX 585 image sensor in the graph above, that has single frame HDR :cool:
Just slap this bad boy on your dash.

The real benefit of 60fps is that you get smoother videos, they are much better to watch,
I'm with you 60fps does not improve license plate readability.
I still want the camera to have the hardware, processing power, and heat dissipation to be capable of 4K60fps so we have the option to choose, and compare.
If a user never selects the 4K60fps great, his camera will run a few degrees cooler, and that should improve reliability, durability.

The A229 Pro rear cam supports 2k 30fps HDR with IMX675.
By the way, the VANTRUE N5 front cam doesn't support HDR.

Using a Stavis 2 sensor without HDR, will be no obvious difference compared to the old Starvis sensor.

All the test samples have to be sent, or most at least...

Last edited:
As far as I know pre production samples have not even be sent. I dont think they will verify it at all until testing has been done in the field

Will the A229 Pro require the VIOFO mobile app to change the settings or will it have a screen on it?

Will the A229 Pro require the VIOFO mobile app to change the settings or will it have a screen on it?
It has a screen, and most other features of the current A229.

Back