After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

I have an OTG adapter... Never occurred to me to just plug the cam directly to the phone that way!
Also I have an OTG adapter but my cheap chinese smartphone see it as 0B size. :confused: Tried with 32, 64, 128GB cards inserted into the .
size 0 otg.png

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for the idea! Certainly easier than trying to remove the micro SD card and plug it into your phone (if your phone even HAS a microsd slot - fewer and fewer phones do these days). And it's much harder to lose a cable than a micro SD card!

Btw that adapter you have is called an OTG (on the go) adapter. It lets you plug in things like thumb drives keyboard, mouse, etc. I have an OTG adapter... Never occurred to me to just plug the cam directly to the phone that way!

Edit: just found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B018M8YNDG
I think I'll order a couple to keep in my glovebox and desk drawer.
Be mindful when using an OTG adapter that the camera will be drawing power from the phone, which not all phones support so it's best to check first.

The adapter I'm using came with my Samsung S7, for transferring data from a previous smart phone, so it should be fine. But good to check.

I just checked for buzzing source...

Lens housing is 3-4mm from screen so no buzzing from that.
Right angle mini-USB a little loose so I put a little insulation tape inside one side of female socket. That's tight now.
I checked the buttons. The lower ones do rattle...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NG9BdVY0TThQelhxbmxJbnlsVXdBZUVJOEhWdUNR

...when I'm out today I will drive some distance to see if the mini-USB tape has worked.
If not, I have some tape to stick over the buttons to hold them in place.

Last edited:
What I'd like to see is a non-GPS mount which is thicker (like the GPS one) and also has mini-USB ports on its top, and on its right and left sides.

Because of less space I expect the CPL lens to be only for the GPS Mount. It have only top connection.

Viofo A119 mounts.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

@Mtz - so all those A119 owners without GPS who are waiting for a CPL will be disappointed? Like I say on CPL thread, Viofo will need to supply a dummy (empty) GPS mount with the CPL to give enough space to mount the CPL.

Also...
View attachment 26895
If I press this button whilst in record mode (what is "video mode"), I just save a file. How do I access the playlist on the device itself?
I don't know if you already found out how this works or not but here it goes anyway:
Usually dashcams have 3 modes: video mode, photo mode and play mode. Video mode is when the camera is filming but not recording. Only then you can access the playlist.

Reactions: Mtz
@Module 79L - when is cam filming but not recording?

I have accessed the play list a few times, but only by stabbing randomly at the buttons! :eek:

The instruction book shows the button symbols so faintly, it is difficult to read...

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 12.46.19.png

I just checked for buzzing source...

Lens housing is 3-4mm from screen so no buzzing from that.
Right angle mini-USB a little loose so I put a little insulation tape inside one side of female socket. That's tight now.
I checked the buttons. The lower ones do rattle...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NG9BdVY0TThQelhxbmxJbnlsVXdBZUVJOEhWdUNR

...when I'm out today I will drive some distance to see if the mini-USB tape has worked.
If not, I have some tape to stick over the buttons to hold them in place.

It's the mount.

You could try slipping an adhesive backed EVA foam pad ( like the ones included with the GC) in between the mount and camera for a snugger fit.

I have it mounted connected behind the fuses pannel, do you have a link for the cable you mention?
As for the interfference I only have it on bad roads.
Only on bad roads??? U know what, I think u have a loose connection inside ur cam. Do this when ur parked and ur cam is recording try to lightly tap ur cam to imitate a bumpy road. But I do think something is loose inside ur cam. Return it and repurchase a new one. Problem solved

I will try padding between mount and camera, and taping the buttons. Let you know...

Only on bad roads??? U know what, I think u have a loose connection inside ur cam. Do this when ur parked and ur cam is recording try to lightly tap ur cam to imitate a bumpy road. But I do think something is loose inside ur cam. Return it and repurchase a new one. Problem solved

Smart - I will do that

I put my money on the buttons. :rolleyes:;)

...and the winner is...
  • Tape in USB right angle connector socket = no difference, buzzing still there.
  • Tape over lower three "raptly" buttons (see video clip in post #104) = buzzing disappears completely.
  • Tape over buttons removed. Padding between camera and mount (grey Viofo 3M cut into narrow strips, either side of cam) = buzzing less, but still there.
So, how do I stop the buttons buzzing without a strip of insuation tape over them? o_O

...and the winner is...
  • Tape in USB right angle connector socket = no difference, buzzing still there.
  • Tape over lower three "raptly" buttons (see video clip in post #104) = buzzing disappears completely.
  • Tape over buttons removed. Padding between camera and mount (grey Viofo 3M cut into narrow strips, either side of cam) = buzzing less, but still there.
Lol, I'll have to buy an Euromillions ticket this week! :D

So, how do I stop the buttons buzzing without a strip of insuation tape over them? o_O
You don't. I had to do the same to both the G1W-H and the At11DA. It's the easiest and quickest way. I used UHU clear tape: it's thin and flexible and it's almost invisible.

Do all dash cams need user modifications? I guess the manufacturers would say the buzzing doesn't matter, but you'd think it would have been identified and fixed if I'm not the first to experience it?

Oh... and reviewing my clips I noted my 12v socket cut off power when parked and ignition off after 34mins 32secs. That's handy for brief stops, but I'd still like to get hold of a LiFePO4 power bank for "dodgy area" parking.

Last edited:
[*]Tape over buttons removed. Padding between camera and mount (grey Viofo 3M cut into narrow strips, either side of cam) = buzzing less, but still there.

The vibrations to the buttons is coming from the mount. If you secure the mount properly using a layer or two of EVA foam padding, I'm quite certain that the rattle will reduce to a great extent; maybe even enough to not warrant covering the buttons with tape.

If it still remains, I personally would be looking for a replacement as covering the buttons is an inconvenient and crude workaround. They shouldn't rattle to begin with.

Finished testing now... indeed the fine cracking sound its generated by bad road sections. Though I'm connected in the fuse pannel and I use a GPS module. I'ts also hard to imitate vibrations by hand.

I will need to run the camera on a bad road with different combinations of power including removing it from the window and see whats happening. If the problemn does not go away - VIOFO will you replace via your local distributor?

By buttons you mean the copper spike small wiers coming out od the GPS? We could use some contact gel to fix this.

Back