After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

You could try slipping an adhesive backed EVA foam pad ( like the ones included with the GC) in between the mount and camera for a snugger fit.

@DavidUK: regarding that vibration issue, is your lens enclosure touching the windscreen? I had the same issue although I have to admit that yours do sound more like some kind of electromagnetic interference.

I really, really, did not want GPS. Can't see the point of it? It doesn't give evidence of the other driver's speed, and may implicate me in any accident.

@Mtz - actually the mirror mount protrudes about 40mm from the screen (photo 1 below) so the cable could not go straight up without moving the A119 down, and it's already low enough. Also in photo 1 you may be able to see the aerial wire to the right, and curving down under the mirror mount. The cam hides quite well behind the mirror (photo 2) and a right angle connector takes it up to the side of the mirror mount. Photo 3 is the view I see...

1 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 20.54.59.png 2 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 20.57.46.png 3 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.01.32.png

The grey/black pad I used stuck really well. I cleaned the screen with 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water, removed the grey 3M tape, then stuck one smaller piece of Autobar tape ( http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...hesives-tapes-sealants/tape/?BARB621&&cc5_144 ) in the middle of the mount. Unfortunately it had air bubbles (photo 4 below) and so I marked the position of the mount on the glass with a fine marker, and removed it. Boy... was it stuck fast!! Then I stuck another piece of tape to the cleaned windscreen and used a credit card to squeegee it.
Still some little air bubbles (photo 5). Cable runs out of sight around windscreen and ends in socket under glovebox (photo 6)...

4 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.03.25.png 5 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.03.55.png 6 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.10.04.png

I found one or two credit cards useful for prising the trim away to make hiding the cable easier (photo 7) and took 30 seconds to make a little wooden "cable pusher-in" with sanded right hand end so as not to damage the cable (photo 8)...

7 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.12.20.png 8 Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.12.40.png

For CRYING OUT LOUD --- the cam is located to the right of the mirror...

View attachment 26925

Look at the front wings in post #71!! Perfectly in the middle of the frame, and the rear of the bonnet almost perfectly level.
AND... it's not up and down the lens adjustment to get more dash to one side, it is left and right the lens adjustment!
...I know you're just kidding me. ;)
David.... toooo much dash left side compared to right side which leads me to believe when u installed it u did not rotate the whole cam so its level

David.... toooo much dash left side compared to right side which leads me to believe when u installed it u did not rotate the whole cam so its level
Also for ur electrical interference u need to get another power cord similar what the Street Guardian uses on their cams . I t has 2 condensers one at each end so there is absolutely no magnetic or noisy interference Speak to @jokiin he will hook u up.

@Bob Black - I'll check the lens housing to screen tomorrow. Off the camera, it was fairly close, and this (below) was with the thicker 3M pad in place. The new pad is much thinner. Could well be the answer, thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.24.10.png

Yes, after thinking about it maybe I'll move it a little to the right. After all if the cam is located to the right of the mirror, the front wings should not be equal in the frame.

I am not good at pictures but looking at it you can understand the advantage of the GPS mount for your setup. GPS antenna can be disabled from settings GPS > OFF or even you can take out the antenna.

GPS Mount.jpg

Also more connections like that L connector can someday lost connection.

And from this snapshot I consider that camera could me mounted higher, the left-right position is good.

enjoy,
Mtz

Also for ur electrical interference u need to get another power cord similar what the Street Guardian uses on their cams . I t has 2 condensers one at each end so there is absolutely no magnetic or noisy interference Speak to @jokiin he will hook u up.
When u stuck cam to windshield U did not twist it by looking at the screen so the dash would be the same depth on both sides, its not a big deal but if u want it 100% perfect u need to redo it. No problem if u leave it

Second clip uploaded, with more buzzing, if anyone can be bothered to listen and diagnose some more?...

Second clip uploaded, with more buzzing, if anyone can be bothered to listen and diagnose some more?...

POWER CORD POWER CORD TRY IT WITH UR FM RADIO ON SEE WHAT HAPPENS

@Mtz - it's mounted as high as it can be with space to remove. When I push it up it hits the underside of mirror mount exactly at the point it releases toward me.

That is the 7-8mm space to the far right of the A119, away from your red circle.

@Sutton - radio IS on for some parts of the clips. Still buzzes with it on or off.

POWER CORD POWER CORD TRY IT WITH UR FM RADIO ON SEE WHAT HAPPENS
Your cam seems to be perfect now as far as ur dash but in photo its different but in the footage it is perfect just the noise

[/QUOTE]
Maybe have a passenger remove the camera as you drive. If the noise stops, it a rattle. If not, it's some kind of interference.

@DavidUK: just point the camera down for a while and if it still rattles then it is not the issue of it touching the windscreen. In case you somehow find out that interference comes from that aerial built in the windscreen, try put your camera to the left side of rear view mirror. That way your camera circuitry won't be in close proximity to that aerial wire.

I had a crash on video too, it video recorder buttons rattle, I have sorted it and have put soft material between buttons and a payment, now the crash has got.

This is handy... I found my Samsung S7 micro-USB-to-USB adapter. Used the video cable I found and this to plug the A119 into my S7 and immediately it went into mass storage mode and all the files appeared on my S7.

View attachment 26896

Thanks for the idea! Certainly easier than trying to remove the micro SD card and plug it into your phone (if your phone even HAS a microsd slot - fewer and fewer phones do these days). And it's much harder to lose a cable than a micro SD card!

Btw that adapter you have is called an OTG (on the go) adapter. It lets you plug in things like thumb drives keyboard, mouse, etc. I have an OTG adapter... Never occurred to me to just plug the cam directly to the phone that way!

Edit: just found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B018M8YNDG
I think I'll order a couple to keep in my glovebox and desk drawer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz

I have it mounted connected behind the fuses pannel, do you have a link for the cable you mention?
As for the interfference I only have it on bad roads.

Looking at the clips again it is definitely vibration, not the aerial.

When the car slows or stops, the vibration stops. When the car is at highest speed, the vibration is most noticeable.
I will have a look this morning at how close the lens housing is to the screen and find a way of keeping a better distance.

If the new Viofo black pads are thinner than the old grey ones this may be a problem for others?

What I'd like to see is a non-GPS mount which is thicker (like the GPS one) and also has mini-USB ports on its top, and on its right and left sides.
This would make mounting in different locations easier for the cable route, AND stop any lens housing to screen rattle AND make room for the CPL filter housing.

Of course the GPS mount could have the three mini-USB ports too, if they'd fit inside, but I doubt they would.

Back