After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

OK, I can see it's black here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322030251081
I'll see how my tape looks (and holds!) tomorrow. If no good will buy the 3M black. I guess it will be OK to stick the black 3M to the original grey 3M so as to make it thick enough?

OK, so I recorded my first clip! Video jumps on Quicktime but doesn't on VLC. So how do I save a file then transfer to Youtube or similar and then paste it here?

From VLC?:

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 12.44.34.png

Or from file?:

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 12.46.54.png

Simple instructions please!!! Thanks.

Ah... I think I have it... uploading one clip now to Youtube. Says it'll take 30 minutes! :eek:
Is that normal? 3 minute clip at 1440p 30fps.

Last edited:
Upload from card, not from player.
The best is to cut the video before uploading on youtube, because when is too long people will get bored. But if your cutting program is recording the video or you are not sure what is doing, better upload it untouched. And my recommendation is to chose the smallest segment option from the loop mode Menu setting of A119.
I am using Registrator Viewer (MAC here and here download) to cut my videos using Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End and Ctrl S to save the untouched segmented video desired by me.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks.

There's some buzzing in places when I watch the clip, maybe some vibration somewhere. Otherwise perhaps I need to tilt the lens down from the sky a little. I think just one click. I'm aware if affects metering and can darken the rest of the video. But horizontal position looks perfect.
Number plates are very clear, no cut off corners at bottom of screen, I can even see individual raindrops approaching!
Not sure if all that detail will show on Youtube? Anyway, hopefully it'll be ready in a little while...

Last edited:
Is better to have lens down compared to up. Sky is not interesting for a dashcam recording.

enjoy,
Mtz

Here we go...

How do I make video quality the same as what I see on VLC? It might put people off looking at the clip!!

You can do the best if:
- uploading untouched videos even are just segments. Just be sure your editing program is not reencoding when it is saving your clip.
- uploading at the highest resolution your camera is offering. YouTube will use more bitrate for a 2K video compared to a FullHD video.

Btw, nice quality video, maybe you will find why is that strange sound like some thing is touching another thing.

enjoy,
Mtz

PS: from a Porsche I expect to hear some nice engine sound. :cool:

I always let the engine get up to full temperature before giving it some stick! This was from a cold start. Maybe soon.

Do you think the lens needs to come down a little?

@viofo - the dark corners at the bottom appear to be about a third of the way up? So, if I tilt the lens down a little, then they would be at the bottom...

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 14.28.42.png

Maybe it's just the windscreen sides being pulled in???

Similar to the photo here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...tom-corners-too-dark.21737/page-2#post-290003

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 15.52.48.png

Last edited:
At 0:40 in the clip, here's a car with a joint closing speed of 100-120mph...

DE56 HRC can be clearly read. Pretty good I think.

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 17.27.40.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 17.28.36.png

FOR GOD SAKE --- Your window pillars are black? or do you have large black air vents there?

It's a reflection, just move the camera and you will no longer see them.... to test.

AHHHHH how sillly can some people be? Wait for the polarizing lenses to fix this.

Reactions: Mtz
That looks like your Porsche's A-pillars reflecting.

FOR GOD SAKE --- Your window pillars are black? or do you have large black air vents there?
It's a reflection, just move the camera and you will no longer see them.... to test.
AHHHHH how sillly can some people be? Wait for the polarizing lenses to fix this.

To be fair, I did say "Maybe it's just the windscreen sides being pulled in???" Keep your hat on... I'm new to this!! o_O

@harsh - thanks for your composed confirmation. ;)

To be fair, I did say "Maybe it's just the windscreen sides being pulled in???" Keep your hat on... I'm new to this!! o_O

@harsh - thanks for your composed confirmation. ;)
DAVID.....How come you have more of ur dash on (up and down the lens adjustment) one side. U need to level ur cam My god

Thanks.

There's some buzzing in places when I watch the clip, maybe some vibration somewhere. Otherwise perhaps I need to tilt the lens down from the sky a little. I think just one click. I'm aware if affects metering and can darken the rest of the video. But horizontal position looks perfect.
Number plates are very clear, no cut off corners at bottom of screen, I can even see individual raindrops approaching!
Not sure if all that detail will show on Youtube? Anyway, hopefully it'll be ready in a little while...
Chill out Dave its only a dash cam lol

DAVID.....How come you have more of ur dash on (up and down the lens adjustment) one side. U need to level ur cam My god

For CRYING OUT LOUD --- the cam is located to the right of the mirror...

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 19.58.15.png

Look at the front wings in post #71!! Perfectly in the middle of the frame, and the rear of the bonnet almost perfectly level.
AND... it's not up and down the lens adjustment to get more dash to one side, it is left and right the lens adjustment!
...I know you're just kidding me. ;)

The aerial filament is nearby in the windscreen - maybe that is it? No big deal.

Why would a Porsche need GPS? I specifically didn't get GPS after seeing Techmoan say he was standing still and the GPS read 20mph!
In an accident, inaccurate data could work against me. OR accurate data too!
I generally know where I am in order to pin point an incident site, and if I don't I can look it up on my phone. Car has SatNav too.

GPS module is very useful if removing A119 frequently from the windshield because you don't need to take out also the charger cable. From the David's setup there is a lot of space at the top of the dashcam so it can be inserted the connector from the top.
GPS data is stored only if user want this.

The dashcam is mounted great.

enjoy,
Mtz

GPS has some know +/- "errors" but it can show that you didn't had 200Km/h just 100Km/h.
As for the movement logic... that could be corected as the camera frames are the same.
As you can see in the attached pic - I have the right speed recorded.
As for interference in the mic - only happens on bad terrain... so some vibrations could mean there is a contact somewhere?

Attachments

• INFO.jpg
    INFO.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 11
Back