After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

Good to hear the engine at 0:28. :cool: I think the position of your A119 is OK now, but to rotate a little to the left.

I will need to run the camera on a bad road with different combinations of power including removing it from the window and see whats happening.
A normal car is expected to run on normal cars. I know in Romania are some bad roads, but if the buttons are wobbling on all cameras your replacement will be with the same buttons.
For me is strange because I heard this noise for the first time at DavidUK's car, maybe because his windshield have a different angle compared to other cars?

But also I am shaking very fast my camera (only!) with my hand and I don't hear any sound. You?

enjoy
Mtz

...and the winner is...
  • Tape in USB right angle connector socket = no difference, buzzing still there.
  • Tape over lower three "raptly" buttons (see video clip in post #104) = buzzing disappears completely.
  • Tape over buttons removed. Padding between camera and mount (grey Viofo 3M cut into narrow strips, either side of cam) = buzzing less, but still there.
So, how do I stop the buttons buzzing without a strip of insuation tape over them? o_O
I think u spent enough of ur time on this. Did u buy from Amazon if so pack it up and reorder a new one because u got a lemon. Even if u bought from Spy Tec u have 30 days from either one That's what I would do but u do what u want

I think u spent enough of ur time on this. Did u buy from Amazon if so pack it up and reorder a new one because u got a lemon. Even if u bought from Spy Tec u have 30 days from either one
No sound on my A119 and I drive every day on construction sites bouncing around

David's issue may have something to do with running stiffer suspension & car body on his Porsche than some other members' cars?
Probably not. The appearance of the noise is related to the speed, so it can only be caused by engine vibrations transmitted to the chassis above certain rpms.

Probably not. The appearance of the noise is related to the speed, so it can only be caused by engine vibrations transmitted to the chassis above certain rpms.
Strange , he did mention he taped up a few buttons and noise went away

neither of my a119's have any rattling noises. the original pre-production one (no gps) got a tiny bit loose in the mount, just like the a118 did, and so you'd see it shake a little in the video (and move quite a bit when i presset a button). so just like the a118, i added a little adhesive felt to the back of the camera, right next to the mount slot, and the looseness/movement went away entirely.

My car has PASM fitted and gives a very compliant ride in "Normal" mode, as in all the clips.
There is no looseness to the mount and putting padding between the mount and camera back didn't stop the buzzing.
Certainly the buttons are vibrating at speed, not at rest or slow travel. They are the cause of the noise but maybe it would stop if I put the cam on the end of a 15cm spring stuck on the windscreen to give it some cushioning?... in others words, why should I?

Should I send it back? Or should I devise a better solution to clear tape? Hmmm... I find a fix, then something goes wrong inside and I can't return it because I have fiddled with it.

Shoot... if I send it back I'll have to remove all the hidden cable, then re-install when the new one comes!! Nightmare! Oh, but wait...

@spytec - this is your camera, but when I click on "Get product support" on AmazonUK I get this message...

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 22.07.58.png

Maybe Spytec could send just another camera without any cables or accessories to swap out my buzzing button unit?

Last edited:

I think @TonyM is correct to say that it's related to the stiffer chassis and suspension design. The rev happy engine though buttery smooth will transfer vibrations to the car's body and windscreen. That said, this should be taken into consideration by manufacturers and design buttons that are cushioned well within the housing.

My clips 1 & 2 didn't use any high revs, just pootling along at 60mph maximum.

Porsche PASM suspension is far better at soaking up bumps than, say, an Audi TTS. Just look at the clips and you will see no crashing over bumps.

As said, any car should be able to have an A119.

My car has PASM fitted and gives a very compliant ride in "Normal" mode, as in all the clips.
There is no looseness to the mount and putting padding between the mount and camera back didn't stop the buzzing.
Certainly the buttons are vibrating at speed, not at rest or slow travel. They are the cause of the noise but maybe it would stop if I put the cam on the end of a 15cm spring stuck on the windscreen to give it some cushioning?... in others words, why should I?

Should I send it back? Or should I devise a better solution to clear tape? Hmmm... I find a fix, then something goes wrong inside and I can't return it because I have fiddled with it.

Shoot... if I send it back I'll have to remove all the hidden cable, then re-install when the new one comes!! Nightmare! Oh, but wait...

@spytec - this is your camera, but when I click on "Get product support" on AmazonUK I get this message...

View attachment 26952

Maybe Spytec could send just another camera without any cables or accessories to swap out my buzzing button unit?
David do this...buy another A119 from Spy Tec, when the new one arrives this is what u do... Take the old box cus of old serial number that matches the old dash cam, Take all the stuff stickers etc and put it back in the old box to return but leave ur power cable and ur windshield mount installed in ur car. Take the parts that u kept and substitute from the new delivery so u bacially are sending back every thing. Make sure u send back old box cus it matches old dash cam serial number END RESULT U NOW HAVE A BRAND NEW ONE AND U DO NOT HAVE TO INSTALL POWER CABLE OR FIX THE MOUNT BACK ON THE WINDSHIELD. You will receive a credit back to ur credit card for ur return.

Last edited:
@Sutton - good idea, I can return it OK. The above message only appears if I want product support.

@Module 79L - are you betting the next one has the same buzzing buttons?

maybe consider opening the case of the camera and adding a very thin layer of adhesive felt to the backside of the buttons on the chassis (not the mainboard) to take up the slack? @viofo what do you think?

Need @spytec to give permission to open.
Plus, no doubt everything inside would drop out! :eek:

...do like a fiddle though. ;)

maybe consider opening the case of the camera and adding a very thin layer of adhesive felt to the backside of the buttons on the chassis (not the mainboard) to take up the slack? @viofo what do you think?
serial number sticker may be over the screws (not sure) will void his one year return warranty I would just return and if 2nd one acts the same u have to start ur search all over again

when i took mine apart (a pre-production unit) the only difficult part was the "clicker" for the vertical adjustment of the imager assembly. everything else was pretty straightforward.

If u really want to buy a great dash cam but its double the price there is only one and that's the Street Guardian SC9665GC. This is a first class dash cam do ur research u will see I'm right.

I think @TonyM is correct to say that it's related to the stiffer chassis and suspension design.
The vibrations that cause the rattling noise have nothing to do with the chassis or the suspension. Those can only cause occasional vibrations, not a constant one.

Back