AMBARELLA Introduces A9 Chipset capable of 4K Ultra HD Video

Certainly... Unfortunately, Youtube won't be able to show the original quality due to the compression...

Maybe Google glass will also use the 4K technology which will be really cool...

there s a 4k option on YouTube already, catering to the GoPro hoon crowd I suppose, even though compressed it still looks quite good

Cool... it is good to know.

thanks. Who is the camera manufacture?

That was shot with a GoPro, I didn't take it, just knew the link and thought others might be interested to see the quality since it was mentioned

Thank you. Appreciate the info.

Soooo. any updates on this? any 4k dash cams?

4k makes a big difference especially at the ultra wide angles we use for dash cams. with 4k you would get the same "detail" resolution as a 1080p cam with HALF the FOV. that is a lot.

I am trying to figure out how to make a note 3 I have handy into a 4k dashcam seeing if someone can do the software for it. would be amazing. I have no problem tossing a $80 128gb memory card into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
some of the new 4k (3840 x 2160) chipsets support H.265, large memory support etc, going to need it at those kind of resolutions

Once out, this will be a good reason to update to a new faster computer and nicer monitor for many of us I'm sure.

I'm surprised they have not integrated the H.265 compression HEVC
This reduces the bitrate and record twice less memory on the SD card with an equivalent picture quality :)

MPEG-4 was able to give MPEG-2 quality at 1/2 the bit rate, but it requires more processing power than for MPEG-2. It takes time for companies to produce silicon to do the job, but give them time and we'll see this as the next video compression standard.

As for any display not being able to see the full 4K resolution, keep in mind that if the information is there, it's still worthwild. The extra resolution will be able to capture some extra details that HD misses. One could always zoom into the video to see the extra detail.

Back