Ambarella releases news about A9

Johny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah we'll only have to wait several years before we see any products using that processor to it's potential :)

This is great news, but I think that old adage applies, "Don't hold your breath". It's been glacial waiting for the A7 cams to arrive. Then again, maybe as dash cams become more popular and mainstream there will be more incentive among manufacturers to bring the latest technology to the market sooner.

Ambarella states that reference design called MotorVu 360° will be available for purchase by customers (I would assume camera manufacturers are called "customers") in Q1 of 2014, pricing available via request directly from Ambarella. Maybe Jokiin can get a sample?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I especially notised this at the bottom of my link in the tread about wearable Ambarella
"Ambarella also noted that the A9 SoC which will enable 4Kp30 (UHD) encode and decode that we saw at CES 2013 (and again in a more final form at this CES playing back some new 4Kp30 content at 35 Mbps H.264) is now in production and that devices will arrive this year with it inside. "

Could be dashcams and / or new actioncams, either way i am intrigued :)

the A7 was announced this time last year and still isn't mainstream just yet, I'd expect the same kind of lead times on this one as well, dealers knew about the A9 this time last year also, even the model coming after the A9 was known last year, I'd expect that might not be public until next years CES though

Any of the developments based on new architecture will end up inside a GoPro before anything else, they are by far Ambarella's largest customer

Allso if any A9 devices pack the same Price as the Gopro Black+ they will only be of technological intrest to me, and even if i had the mony to spend on sutch a device it had to be quick and easy release as i would not dare to have so mutch mony sitting in my car unattended.

I think the Gopro Black+ is A9 as it can do 120 FPS at 1080P
I have no idea if the "old" Gopro Black was A9 too, or just A7

I would love a dashcam that could record in 1080P - 120 fps, but i have no idea if sutch a cam could get enuff light onto the cmos at 120 FPS to get good night recordings.
I have a feeeling Dashcams drop exposure time to a minimum to get good night recordings, but this mean more bluring of moving objekts witch i think is one of the major issues with dashcams.
In bright sunshine my lucas can catch readable frames of licenceplates on oncomming cars, but as soon as the light go just a Little Down there is no chance, and at night no chance at all even with quick passing cars in same direction.
Danish plates are easy readable, Black numbers and letters on White or yellow background.
I would say exposure times should not drop below 1/250 sec or maybe even 1/500 sec.

Allso i was wondering if there is any new SOC`s from any of the orher Manufactuers ?

Ps. i am guessing and wondering a lot :D

I'm really confused, I was at CES and couldn't find Ambarella in the directory. I even asked several information booth people while I was there and nothing.

Well better late than never thanks for sharing, very interesting!

EDIT:
I was told sometimes big players don't always have an actual presence at the show. Ambarella probably made a stage announcement and then had no actual booth. (bummer, wanted photos/videos) I guess there wouldn't have really been much to take a photo or video of if A9 talk is all pre-production fluff and spec sheets.

Either way I wanted an Ambarella hat or something :)

Last edited:
From computer hardware i know it is pretty common to have a hotel room set up to do demos in, but i am not sure if that is done solo or with a booth on site to lure ppl in.
I think both at it is often major players / brands who have a hotel suite on the side :)
Just confirm what i have allways known, it is good to be ritch :D

Back