Any new development or dash cam in the works?

TeaLeaf007

Reaction score
Country
United States
There hasn't been much news around Street Guardian since joikinn left. Are there any new dash cam or upgrades to current models in development at the moment?

Not that i know off, the brand have gone dead silent it seem, even if you do not compare to jokiins high activity pressene.

Does this count?

384547720_1304802490167062_3720123701424738209_n.jpg

SG9667DC2K
What is with your complicated model numbers?
What do you use for Serial Numbers, hieroglyphics?

Edit: I just googled the "model" number.
Why is this camera $1,500?
Is this for Zimbabwe residents?

Zimbabwe Inflation .png

View attachment 68154
Zimbabwe or one of those countries around there used to have that one trillion dollars bank note haha

Only rich folks can afford that Street Guardian model, maybe Monaco or somewhere..

I think it's obvious and unfortunate that SG is no more.

Although I was a big fan starting from the Panorama model, there are no updates, limited form factor, complicated model numbering and higher price point is not viable.

I was never a fan of Street Guardian's naming conventions as they were very confusing to most consumers; even more-so when comparing different models.

Nevertheless, any knowledgeable long time dash cam user would easily know how to decipher the "hieroglyphics."

Model: SG9667DC2K

SG = Street Guardian

9667 = the Novatek processor used in the camera

DC = Dual Channel

2K = resolution of the sensor

However, in looking at the SG Australia site it appears that most of the cameras there are priced astronomically high - much higher than would be expected based on the different economies and exchange rates between the US and AUS.

The company is no longer the same entity it was prior to the passing of the founder.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why the Australian site lost price is so high. They don’t really sell many direct in Australia anyway its all dealers with whole sale prices there. We have not raised prices in the USA. The only thing new is we have decided to combine two businesses into one. Street Guardian USA will now be sold via OCD Tronic. I (Jon) have owned and operated both entities for several years.

@Panzer Platform - They are around $800 Australian dollars.. Still pricey
I would love to get another Street Gaurdian, but there is literally NO ONE that sells them in Victoria Australia.
We have 1/5th of Australia's population...and 2 dealers, who do not carry stock when I rang them and tried to Push heavily BlackView as the "Ants Pants shining light" of dashcams...Plus the owner of one of the stores has the worst reputation.
In NSW, (Near Sydney) https://strathfieldcarradios.com.au/street-guardian-sg9667dc2k-2k-full-hd-dual-dash-cam/ they have a few more dealers but to buy and pay postage...and If anything goes wrong with warranty, you would have to send it back via postage instead of walking into a dealers shop, but again..dealers are limited.
Also, Is Street Guardian still worth buying? I have had mine for 5 years and hasnt skipped a beat...but it hasnt seen alot of sun, so maybe that is why.

View attachment 68154

Last edited:
Also, Is Street Guardian still worth buying? I
Unless they bring out a Starvis 2 camera then they are just about obsolete now, so however good they are in reliability, I don't think they are still worth buying, or if they are then they wont be for much longer. Most of the Starvis 2 cameras are still too new to gauge long term reliability, only the Viofo A139 Pro has been around for a full year, but that situation isn't going to last.

still waiting for the SG9667TC4K to be released at a decent price.

still waiting for the SG9667TC4K to be released at a decent price.
Not gonna happen unless by some miracle. Development looks dead in the arse and the pricing is horrendous.

Street Guardian appears to be a dead man walking.
seems that way, the factory is just on autopilot from where jokiin left off manufacturing the same thing over and over and sending out until it runs out of fuel like a plane with its unconscious pilots at the wheel.

seems that way, the factory is just on autopilot from where jokiin left off manufacturing the same thing over and over and sending out until it runs out of fuel like a plane with its unconscious pilots at the wheel.
Silence doesn't mean that nothing is happening, they were never the first to release new technology, so it is now around time to expect an IMX675 sensored dashcam to appear. I'm not very optimistic, but I'm sure that development was not a one person effort, so presumably there are still development staff?

It is true that Street Guardian was rarely if ever an innovator. Street Guardian often just copied other company's products using off the shelf components that had already been on the market for quite some time in cameras that were sometimes literal clones of other cameras in the very same housings. Think about how long it took them to market a 2K camera. The market was flooded with them by the time SG came out with one.

Street Guardian cameras were marketed at much higher prices than their competitors such as Viofo as if they were some sort of Veblen goods and they were claimed to be more reliable but it was a mixed bag as the cameras were often no more or less reliable than anything else on the market manufactured with the same components. They put effort into firmware updates but it was often a slow and tedious process that left certain problems linger for an unusually long time. Their highly responsive and popular customer support and generous replacement policy (that was basically built into the higher price of the cameras) tended to minimize (and sometimes even cover up) complaints about the issues and problems that would arise such as the chronic going out-of-focus issues which are still denied despite all the public evidence.

Nevertheless, they made basically decent products and were particularly well liked because of Ric's affable presence on this and other platforms but without him the company seems rudderless and adrift.

Last edited:
Sadly i think at this time they are just selling old inventory, and when that is gone it is all over.

Street guardian did make a dual remote system, not many other dashcam makers have done that.
And the SG DR model, well it to me largely look like many a motorcycle camera have looked, so even that not really true trailblazing.
And the DR was wrong in my mind going with a tiny main unit, that unit should have been much larger had better cooling to even better facilitate higher bitrates and hot location parking guard.

Street guardian did make a dual remote system, not many other dashcam makers have done that.

Yes, that was one of the only truly innovative self developed cameras Street Guardian produced. The problem was that from the time Ric announced that it was in development until the time it actually reached the market was glacially slow, almost absurdly so. He created a lot of buzz for the product but nothing came of it for like maybe a year and a half as I recall. And then when it did finally become available the price was too astronomical for a great many potential buyers. Also, by the time it hit the market the components in the camera were already heading towards obsolescence.

Back