Anyone has an open/broken dash cam?

MrFluff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is a weird question but I was just wondering if anyone here had ever opened up their dash cam? More specifically, either a G1W or GT550W. All I can find are opened up Mobius cases. The two other cameras don't seem to be able to be easily opened (I don't see any screws or anything).

I'm trying to find pictures of the board itself with the lens and possibly measurements. Anyone have any? Or any good tips on how to open a GT550W without damaging it?

Use credit card or any similar plastic swipe card. Make corners ( edges ) thinner with sandpaper. Thats the best "tool" to open most dash cams.

I would venture to say that some of us here have opened up some of or even all of the dash cams we own. This is usually done for repair, modification or just curiosity.
As far as the GT550W/GT300W is concerned, there are no screws because the case is simply a snap fit closure. Just carefully insert a thin blade until you can open one of the snap lugs and the rest is easy.
The photos of the board you are seeking are right here on this website, as they were provided by DashCamMan in the excellent LS300/GT300 FAQ he posted under the heading, "Disassembling the camera".

Last edited:
I would venture to say that some of us here have opened up some of or even all of the dash cams we own. This is usually done for repair, modification or just curiosity.
As far as the GT550W/GT300W is concerned, there are no screws because the case is simply a snap fit closure. Just carefully insert a thin blade until you can open one of the snap lugs and the rest is easy.
The photos of the board you are seeking are right here on this website, as they were provided by DashCamMan in the excellent LS300/GT300 FAQ he provides under the heading, "Disassembling the camera".
Aha! Disregard this thread then unless someone has measurements for the board only. Thank you very much! I didn't see that before.

You can infer the approximate measurements of the board fairly closely by simply measuring the known diameter of the lens and calculate how this diameter would compare to the photos of the board. Also, the board is really quite close in dimensions to the case of the camera itself which measures 114.4mm(L) x 47.9mm(W) x 37.1(H)mm.

thought the 550 had a screw under the Mic sensor. which would be better used to Secure video footage.

Back