[App] AFT 1.3.2 - Ambarella firmware editor (development paused)

Until now the file size wasn't a problem, the original strings.bin was 157kb, my altered strings.bin is 144kb. I think as long you keep all on the same line and after alteration you build a new strings.bin with Generate->Build new strings.bin there is no problem.
But remains the question: is it possible to activate the other 2 language files (1 & 2 Chinese and Simplified Chinese?)

Sorry, I don't understand the problem, I use a standard font, the Dutch font is equal with the English font so I'm don't have to alter the font.
But for now I call it a day, it works for my personal camera so no need to alter anything any more.
Thanks for your replies (although I don't understand exactly what the problem is :) )

If you have no problem, I have them either.
Good luck.

@Tobi@s, it would appear that your application also works with the A7 firmware for the Koonlung K1S device as well. :)

Hi!

I was wondering that the AE visualization table would be more informative if it had an additional colour layer.
AE.png

@Tobi@s,

Many thanks to you for such an excellent piece of software. I've only had our two 0806 dashcams for a week but have already changed mine to have a Škoda logo on the boot up/shutdown screens and my fiancée's to have an Alfa Romeo logo. :cool:

I've also changed the sounds to be louder. Yes, I know we're probably alone in wanting that but we find it reassuring. :)

@Tobi@s thank you for this nice tool: straightforward and easy to use (unpack-edit-pack again). I found some time and I changed the startup/shutdown images, sounds and the font (on my dashcam it's a TTF): everything works perfectly.

My questions are about something else :D (maybe they were already discussed but I haven't yet found the answers):
  • what are those values in Bitrate Editor. I saw the post of @reverend in which he explained that the first value is the bitrate, the second and the third are two multipliers, and the fourth some flag.
> For the tested firmware there are 159 bitrate values (lines). My dashcam has only 7 video resolutions available. I don't know how those bitrates link to available resolutions (too many resolution sets). Is it as in "strings.bin" were there are more parameters than needed ?
> If the second and third columns are multipliers, why are all those discrete bitrate values ? It should be enough to define a range whit only these 3 parameters. In this context, what role plays the fourth parameter ?
> In my example, the second and third parameters are 1, so it should mean constant bitrate. The clips recorded by my dashcam appear as VBR (Overall bit rate mode : Variable/ Overall bit rate : 19.8 Mbps)

KHVqLOGXlfjlIQm8

• what is the meaning of the values in AF ? This isn't EV, no ? I changed a firmware and used the extreme values: all zeros/ all fives. I wanted to define some profiles: day/night/cloudy. The result wasn't as expected. The only thing I could see was a change in the temperature of the colours: more yellow/more blue.
> why in the following original profile "1" is on top, and "0" and "7" on bottom ? Just a little problem: on the tested firmware the max value is 7.
wAaY1nO42syihmbs

========================================================================

Other problems:
how many writes supports the flash of a dashcam ?

Last edited:
Is there a way of changing the frame rates per second to a higher number. I own a street storm and the hdr is set at 30fps for night recording. Day recording and its at 60fps which looks much nicer on play back.

Any chance of having a setting so the user can change the frame rates to anything that the chip in their cam can handle please ?

I'd like to be able to set my hdr to 60 fps.

That aft tool is fantastic. Have added family photos on my boot up screen.

Last edited:
Then the duration of the capture will be halved, which may not look good in low light conditions. Another important factor, for the low light capture, is the pixel size of the sensor: bigger one have more surface to capture light (and it's not always the case of a dashcam)

is there any way to revive a possibly bricked mini 0805 with this tool? i tried updating to a firmware but low and behold the camera will not run anymore... any ideas?

is there any way to revive a possibly bricked mini 0805 with this tool? i tried updating to a firmware but low and behold the camera will not run anymore... any ideas?

You need a program called direct usb to bring the dash cam back to life. You will also need a firmware version that you know works and the buttons to press on the camera when using direct usb. Some have it where you press the reset button and hold for a few seconds others can be other buttons on the camera to press. A few in here may know the correct buttons to press. Could always contact the maker of the cam.

I had bricked my street storm and was able to bring it back to life.

Then the duration of the capture will be halved, which may not look good in low light conditions. Another important factor, for the low light capture, is the pixel size of the sensor: bigger one have more surface to capture light (and it's not always the case of a dashcam)

Thank you for your reply.

Here is my sensor and the chip used in the cam I own.

Processor Ambarella A7LA70D
Sensor OmniVision OV4689 4Mp 1/3 (architecture OmniBSI-2)

I am able to use 64gb micro sd cards in this cam. Its the streetstorm one.

Processor Ambarella A7LA70D
Sensor OmniVision OV4689 4Mp 1/3 (architecture OmniBSI-2)
This thread is for AFT application, and there is nothing to be done with the sensor. But, searching on internet for OV4689 we find: http://www.ovt.com/download_document.php?type=sensor&sensorid=136
4wrVE4yfiTPIgajY

Everything started with light. More photons hit the sensor, better the image: bigger pixel size, more surface to capture the photons/higher sensitivity, higher the level of the electrical signal/more light less noise, better the ratio S/N, etc. But all these don't help at all.

I'm unable to edit the attached firmware it is from Mio Mivue 658 Touch. is somebody able to help me with this?
Are you sure its chipset is Ambarella ? The AFT works with Ambarella chipsets.

First of all, sorry for the late reply, had final exams a few weeks ago followed by holidays and a vacation in Croatia. Now I have some free time and going to get active here again.
> For the tested firmware there are 159 bitrate values (lines). My dashcam has only 7 video resolutions available. I don't know how those bitrates link to available resolutions (too many resolution sets). Is it as in "strings.bin" were there are more parameters than needed ?
Most dashcams firmwares include many more resulution options but they are disabled in the menu. Also Ambarella firmwares contain lots of "not needed" data cause of the system behind the fw: It's the same base for every camera on one platform. All A7 cameras have the same base sdk but some different drivers/kernel modules. To keep the engineering process simple they only adjust the fw for the desired camera and keep the "useless" stuff. Some of the low values could maybe also be used for playback, dunno..

> If the second and third columns are multipliers, why are all those discrete bitrate values ? It should be enough to define a range whit only these 3 parameters. In this context, what role plays the fourth parameter ?
Fourth parameter differs between static and dynamic bitrate. There are 3 possible values but unfortunately I don't have their meaning in my mind right now. What do you mean by discrete bitrate values?
> In my example, the second and third parameters are 1, so it should mean constant bitrate. The clips recorded by my dashcam appear as VBR (Overall bit rate mode : Variable/ Overall bit rate : 19.8 Mbps)
I see.. Hm. Not sure about that. Maybe the dev was lazy and just set the range to 1.0 - 1.0 and kept the dyn bitrate setting. Maybe that could result in 19.8 instead of 20.0
>what is the meaning of the values in AF ? This isn't EV, no ? I changed a firmware and used the extreme values: all zeros/ all fives. I wanted to define some profiles: day/night/cloudy. The result wasn't as expected. The only thing I could see was a change in the temperature of the colours: more yellow/more blue.
It's not AF but AE: Auto Exposure. The values indicate the sensitivity of the fields/areas to light. The higher the value the higher the sensivity.
> why in the following original profile "1" is on top, and "0" and "7" on bottom ? Just a little problem: on the tested firmware the max value is 7.
Didn'T know that higher values are possible, going to fix that. The 0 in the bottom means that the light conditions in the dashboard area dont affect the brightness of the captured video.

>
Other problems:
how many writes supports the flash of a dashcam ?
Good question. Can't tell. But I can tell you that my first dev device encountered some (2 or 3) bad blocks a few weeks ago

Is there a way of changing the frame rates per second to a higher number. I own a street storm and the hdr is set at 30fps for night recording. Day recording and its at 60fps which looks much nicer on play back.

Any chance of having a setting so the user can change the frame rates to anything that the chip in their cam can handle please ?

That aft tool is fantastic. Have added family photos on my boot up screen.
Thanks, unfortunately I have no knowledge on fps editing atm..

I'm unable to edit the attached firmware it is from Mio Mivue 658 Touch. is somebody able to help me with this?

If it is possible i want to set the bitrate higher....

Firmware https://yadi.sk/d/jfL1YYiRhHM65

Original link: http://service.mio.com/m0100/FileReader_110505_Rest of Europe_English.html

View attachment 14249
See below.

Yes it is the Ambarella A7LA55....
Are you really sure? The firmware you supplied really doesnt look like an Ambarella one..

First of all, sorry for the late reply, had final exams a few weeks ago followed by holidays and a vacation in Croatia. Now I have some free time and going to get active here again.
I hope they all went well mate - do you have to wait long for the results?

Back