Are Amazon Reviews Trustworthy?

As they say, don't believe everything that you read. There's a whole industry devoted to deception.

I tend to rely on forums rather than review sites when researching purchases, if anything sounds too far fetched a bit of research into the person posting anything questionable usually reveals the truth, be that good, bad or otherwise

I tend to rely on forums rather than review sites when researching purchases, if anything sounds too far fetched a bit of research into the person posting anything questionable usually reveals the truth, be that good, bad or otherwise

That sounds fine but how does the average Joe conduct that research, would he have to sign up on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter etc?
I'm still trying to figure out how you got all that info on DASH-CAM.US.

That sounds fine but how does the average Joe conduct that research, would he have to sign up on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter etc?

I start with a Google search on whatever product I'm looking at, if I find info on the first page from forums is generally where I'll start, you can usually find what you want without too much trouble and I think your average Joe could do that without any problem

if you want to find dirt on something that can take a bit more digging, only dug through this one as an example but that was less than 10 minutes effort

I tend to rely on forums rather than review sites when researching purchases, if anything sounds too far fetched

I try to do the same as well for as much as I can.
I'm guessing by running it through a whois type site

I'm glad there are forums like these for products when trying to research. I almost ended up with the Falcon Zero after seeing it top Amazon's Dash Cam rankings. I'm glad I made it to this website and saw that the number 1 dash cam didn't even make the list of available choices here.

Jon is shipping me a Panorama G and I'm excited to buy something that:
1. Is Reliable
2. Is Affordable
3. Is supportable

Cheap China junk that takes serious research and time to maintain no longer sounds fun now that I have a busier life.

Thanks to you folks who put the time into helping people like me.

This says it all, KDLINKS X1 Battery over heated and exploded! That's really dangerous.
qIIZS5E.png

Last edited:
Yes, it can get mighty hot inside a car in the summer here in SC. Smart folks leave the windows down a tiny bit to help with this. That's why I started with a capacitor model cam!

I check the Amazon reviews (and other places) looking for a pattern of reported problems or a general indication of low quality. I overlook the "It's great- everybody need one of these" posts because they are so easy to fake and they tell you nothing. Too many people look at a couple reviews, see 4/5 stars, then figure they are OK. Good research takes a lot more work than that.

I could only imagine who the 3 people were who down voted in that picture

Seriously, how is warning someone their product might explode not helpful? I try not to dis other people's products too much where possible but this is a safety thing now. The marketing machine keeps pumping out 5 star reviews though.

I'm glad there are forums like these for products when trying to research. I almost ended up with the Falcon Zero after seeing it top Amazon's Dash Cam rankings. I'm glad I made it to this website and saw that the number 1 dash cam didn't even make the list of available choices here.

Jon is shipping me a Panorama G and I'm excited to buy something that:
1. Is Reliable
2. Is Affordable
3. Is supportable

Cheap China junk that takes serious research and time to maintain no longer sounds fun now that I have a busier life.

Thanks to you folks who put the time into helping people like me.
And from honest people!

If I need to open my wallet for some serious $, first I do is to make a big cup of tea, then I open new clean browser, Google "review" from X product, open in new tabs almost all Google search results from 1st and if needed from 2nd page as well. Spend few hours reading those reviews. Make my conclusions.

I have posted reviews on Amazon, but if I have had initial problems with the product, I do not post a review--or, for that matter, complain about it on a public forum (such as this)--until after I have contacted the vendor and have tried to resolve the issue.

Give the vendor a chance to make good.

Furthermore, I like to order through Amazon because Amazon has a procedure for returning defective merchandise. Amazon has a method of handling providing return shipping labels and arranging for return product pickups or drop-offs at some dropbox.

Here's a fresh questionable Amazon listing that probably didn't earn their new "#1 Best Seller" status. Someone just posted a SCAM alert:

Basically, it's gotten to the point where for the most part it seems that Amazon customer reviews should simply be ignored. When fake reviews are this rampant, then legitimate accolades tend to lose their credence too.

once I bought "Bell" labeled helmet from Amazon... reviews etc...
seriously, I'd be hesitant to put it on my mothers in-law head, once inspected in the fear of "assisted murder" charges.
Guess what- they still sell and my review just disappeared in "product not found" … when same fakes are being reviewed by "some" loonies or else, but same ones are there, with same fake "bell" name on them

I didn't want to start a new thread but this is about fake reviews, not necessarily related to Amazon. Just watched a piece on tv about making and buying fake reviews (for anything) and it was an eye-opener. One site that was mentioned in particular was fiverr.com where you can get fake reviews made on any product or service for just $5. Anyway, if you have the time or interest check out the show at
I just wanted to make sure more people see this. from earlier in the thread.
CBC puts out some great Market place videos. I have watched quite a few after seeing this one.
The food, orange juice, fast food, and hotel ones, are real eye openers.

Back