Are Amazon Reviews Trustworthy?

yeah I watched this already, very good, watched another yesterday about some fast oil change company in Canada, just a scam but interesting report nonetheless

Here's a fresh questionable Amazon listing that probably didn't earn their new "#1 Best Seller" status. Someone just posted a SCAM alert:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/38ynt5/car_dvrs_full_hd_1080p_170wide_angle_night_vision/
"17 reviews, all fake by new accounts, all give it 5 stars. SCAM ALERT!(amazon.com)"
DY5FuHb.png
Seller says it uses a Generalplus chip, the output file format is M-JPEG (AVI) No surprise here.

like everything these days, the scammers spoil things for those doing legitimate business, the big losers in all this are the consumers
Which is exactly why, when I venture into a new area or product, my first stop is forums like DCT. Takes a little time and research but the end result of the effort is a much more satisfactory experience. I may not end up with the 'perfect' product or solution but at least I generally not surprised or disappointed.

like everything these days, the scammers spoil things for those doing legitimate business, the big losers in all this are the consumers
Exactly why it is smart to buy from sellers and manufacturers who have an established positive track record

As I mentioned earlier, it's getting to the point where online customer reviews are probably best ignored, but there is another reason to consider this idea aside from all the fake reviews. I've noticed more and more that misleading reviews often get posted by well intentioned people who just have no idea what they heck they are talking about! I've seen it over and over on Amazon. There was a reviewer who complained that a Dyson vacuum cleaner had no on-board tool storage and it gave me pause about buying it but after I went ahead and bought the same unit I realized the man was too dumb to figure out the clever scheme that was designed into the machine for doing just that. (I guess he didn't bother to read the manual either). It was clear that another person who panned an external battery pack I'd bought that she didn't have a clue how to properly charge it, so therefore it was a piece of crap as far as she was concerned. The list goes on....and on....and on.

When the internet was a shiny new toy the egalitarian concept of everyone contributing their own voice and opinion to the online shopping experience seemed wonderful, but now, some twenty or so years on, the online corporate marketplace has turned it all into a totally corrupted, dysfunctional mess. Amazon is one of the few large scale internet giants I actually have any respect for as I repeatedly enjoy the customer experience I have with them so I sometimes wonder why they continue with this flawed and problematic customer review model.

Last edited:
Pier28 just received the following threat from this seller. I didn't leave any negative reviews, so not sure why they are saying they will counter attack. Maybe they are reading Reddit & DashCamTalk, but we have nothing to do with the new 1 star reviews I see.

------------- Begin message -------------
你好 今晚不把差评移除,我们将提起反攻,希望你能够配合我们,谢谢!也为了双方的利益,我也从没有投诉任何一个人,我不希望你就是第一个。ASIN 是B00XSLROGQ
------------- End message -------------

Translation: "Hello Tonight is not the removal of the negative feedback, we will lift the counterattack, I hope you can meet us, thank you! In the interest of both sides, and I no complaints from anyone, I do not want you're the first one. ASIN is B00XSLROGQ"

Perhaps it would a good idea to contact Amazon proactively and alert them to the situation rather than try to pick up the pieces later should there be any fall-out?

Late in the thread but here are my thoughts:
1. Check product availability date: If it's just launched and has too many reviews, either it's great item like iPhone or really a good deal/promotion or reviews are fake.
2. Check reviews: One or two liners that just mention, work good, great thanks are probably fake.
3. Check reviewer:
New user along with 1 and 2 above, fake.
Ignore reviews by 'Top 100 reviewer' or high volume reviewer as they get tons of items for reviews due to their status and don't have enough time to properly test anything except whether the item works or not. Some items may work that way fine but most need more details.
Check other reviews of the reviewer and if everything has 5 stars and not enough details, most probably they were free for review so biased even though first line of the review says unbiased.​
So look for reviews from who's not new, not a high volume reviewer and has details on the item instead of one/two lines.
4. Reviews with pictures/videos at least suggests that the reviewer has product in hand.
5. Reviews with comments and follow ups provide more info.
etc...

Amazon reviews are trustworthy if you can filter out the junk.
Amazon has that side bar to filter products with '4 starts and above', '3 starts and above' etc... and kinda force new product to buy reviews otherwise they don't even show up in the page.

Who ever this new Amazon seller is, just sent us a second threatening letter showing our ebay listings and business address. (saying they will do us harm) I've deleted my previous posts per their request on this thread & reddit replies to avoid conflict, but Pier28 and myself have nothing to do with the negative 1 star reviews on Amazon. Others have found out about the fake reviews and posted on Reddit. Fake reviews are against Amazon policy and their product should sell because of the real results, not fake reviews, they’re already cheating the system, that is not fair competition, perhaps they'd like to delete all the fake 5 star reviews if they want things to be fair

Last edited:
....huh... :/

we have to say that jokiin and pier28 are the same someone,and try to improve themself,I hate these Villain.

We should talk some dashcam technology and how to improve dashcam ,and don't talk how to attrack others sellers,This is a villain action.I really can’t see this talking.let us pay more attention to technology

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-10_17-45-8.png
    upload_2015-6-10_17-45-8.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 15
  • upload_2015-6-10_17-47-11.png
    upload_2015-6-10_17-47-11.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 15
we already talk technology here quite extensively, if you want to participate in that then go right ahead

if you want to get on with these false accusations you're making and the fake Amazon revues etc then there's no place for that at all, that kind of behaviour is not welcome at all, suggest you do a bit more reading before you go making any more unfounded allegations

we need to talk some about technology,rather than calculating others every day.are right?
Also using autotranslate...
There are professional trolls on political scene, discussed to have one here, but not surprised. ;)

Back