Are there any 2 channel dash cam with both lenses remote

won't get anything with cameras like this as no room for the associated electronics to do Full HD, not based on any current technologies at least

I know there are remote lens mods for the Möbius, but I do understand there are likely to be length implications for cabling from sensor assemblies to processing units to preserve data integrity.

Will be keeping an eye on future multi-channel developments!

I know there are remote lens mods for the Möbius, but I do understand there are likely to be length implications for cabling from sensor assemblies to processing units to preserve data integrity.

Will be keeping an eye on future multi-channel developments!

the Mobius mod is just using a longer cable from the sensor to the PCB, that's very limited as to how far they can be separated, about 20cm is the max, the remote lens type we do uses a send and receive chipset to encode and decode the digital signal and will max out at about 18m

I believe that a camera like that will go out like hot cakes!!

But there must be a lot of technical problems because this topic started in 2014 and we are already in 2016 and not even a single camera that works like that (with quality)

But there must be a lot of technical problems because this topic started in 2014 and we are already in 2016 and not even a single camera that works like that (with quality)

they've been around longer than this topic, just not at the right quality levels

I'm a new user of Dashcams but have the same prerequisites as the OP.

I recently purchased a Koonlung K1S and have been running it for a week or so.

After some initial recording issues caused by a slow (old) Micro SDXC card, so far I'm pleased, but I need a couple of more journeys then I'll post my thoughts as a mini review.

Hi...did you ever get around that mini review you promised? If so, can you share a link to it. Thx!

Hi Everyone,
Been the happy owner of a couple of mini 0803 for a while now.
I've got a new car and looking for a new camera to go with it, with higher spec recording and lower profile camera footprint etc.
I then found this post that suggest maybe someone is considering making a remote Dvr with either 2 or 4 channels to have truly small discrete cameras mounted in the windscreen and rear window.
Please camera manufactures, consider this option as I'm sure you will have people falling over themselves to give you money.
Why is it so difficult?

Hi Everyone,
Been the happy owner of a couple of mini 0803 for a while now.
I've got a new car and looking for a new camera to go with it, with higher spec recording and lower profile camera footprint etc.
I then found this post that suggest maybe someone is considering making a remote Dvr with either 2 or 4 channels to have truly small discrete cameras mounted in the windscreen and rear window.
Please camera manufactures, consider this option as I'm sure you will have people falling over themselves to give you money.
Why is it so difficult?
The tech isn't ready yet. A chip that can handle two 1080p video streams at a good quality doesn't exist or is very expensive, or maybe one hasn't been made that's low power enough or durable enough to withstand automotive use.

Why is it so difficult?

This has been my loud shout out for the past 5y to many manufacturers I have been communicating with since.
I am sure solution was out there already 5y ago for 4 x 1080p, based on 4 single CPU, each handling one camera. Just needed a firmware which would sync all 4 cameras. Of course it's not as convenient and not as practical to handle playback compare to if all 4 cameras data recorded to one memory source, but still it is a good solution. I i think it would had less risks of crashing due to each camera has it's own processor.

I think the situation is:
1. those companies who have big money to invest, they just don't know what exactly needed to be build, - we see dozens of well known Korean companies "investing" money into useless bells and whistles stuff.
2. those who know what exactly market needs and have ideas how to build good and reliable multi-channel dashcam system, they do have limited funds to invest into expensive new project development and have to relay on the progress what is out there.

But I have a feeling we may see soon proper dual channel 1080p ;)

The tech isn't ready yet. A chip that can handle two 1080p video streams at a good quality doesn't exist or is very expensive, or maybe one hasn't been made that's low power enough or durable enough to withstand automotive use.

To expand on the above comment by @Gibson99, the way I understand the dash cam manufacturing world, 1-ch and 2-ch dash cam systems have the same common objectives, namely, recording front or front and rear while you travel, with a second (and optional) objective being recording front and rear while parked (i.e., having a "parking mode" feature).

However, for a manufacturer to make the jump from a 2-ch system to a 4-ch system is not as simple as designing by extrapolating the 2-ch dash cam system into a 4-ch system. Manufacturing a 4-ch dash cam system, even as a 2x 2-ch systems, implies that manufacturers must offer the parking mode feature. This is not an implied feature when a manufacturer offers a 1-ch or 2-ch dash cam for sale, but, IMO, it is when offering a 4-ch system.

This implication follows from the fact that (unless most consumers travel at abnormally slow speeds in the city [which they don't] or are interested in recording distant scenery in the open country [which they are not]) the "panning" effect on the 2 side-view recordings renders useless virtually all recording originating at those 2 side-view cameras. This results from the optical effect of the speed of travel by a system that is recording at 30fps. (You can witness this undesirable panning effect with a home camcorder when it is panned too quickly from one part of a room to another.) The result of this is that the 2 side-view cams would be most useful when the vehicle is stationary, i.e., when it is parked; thus the need for the parking mode offering to make side-view dash cams useful.

That said, true, long-term parking mode (aka, "buffered PM") itself implies hard-wiring the DVR unit. But hard-wiring itself implies considering a host of other issues. Some of these issues are eventual vehicle battery voltage depletion, wide swings in Wh from seasonal temperatures, overheating of DVR battery, need for super capacitors and dedicated battery banks. I am sure there are others. Faced with all the challenges, would you rush to offering a 4-ch DVR if you were the manufacturer -- and especially knowing that the end product had to sell for less than some certain magic dollar amount to make it attractive to consumers to buy?... Its a big expense in market research as well as engineering R&D to end up not making a decent profit at the end.

the bigger issues with 4 channel is not so much technical as it is practical, how to design the side cameras to work with the widest selection of install/vehicle types, how to install it, how labour intensive it is to install

yes there's a market for 4 channel but it's not a simple product to make for the the aftermarket, if it were integrated at the time of manufacture it would be easy to do but would still be very vehicle specific which limits the appeal quite a lot

parking mode is a very flawed application, I don't believe any current solution really works well for this, each have their strengths and weaknesses, mostly weaknesses

Even if at some stage we will see good reliable 4ch dashcam system, the next problem will be using it in parking mode is comes to power supply. 4ch will consume more power than 2ch. Even 2ch systems these days are quite hungry on power consumption. For many cars 2ch system will not work long in parking mode before battery discharge prevention kick-in, of course it's depends on capacity and health of the car battery. In order 4ch to be reliable to use for parking mode, we have to find solution for long term power supply, but this "concern" has to be addressed to battery manufacturers.

I really think the type of system that would work best for parking surveillance isn't necessarily what would make for a great dashcam

Even if at some stage we will see good reliable 4ch dashcam system, the next problem will be using it in parking mode is comes to power supply. 4ch will consume more power than 2ch. Even 2ch systems these days are quite hungry on power consumption. For many cars 2ch system will not work long in parking mode before battery discharge prevention kick-in, of course it's depends on capacity and health of the car battery. In order 4ch to be reliable to use for parking mode, we have to find solution for long term power supply, but this "concern" has to be addressed to battery manufacturers.
some ways mfr's save power in parking mode is to reduce the frame rate to 5-10 fps. also since it's not constantly writing to the card but is instead buffering it in RAM, that's a power savings as well.

perhaps some form of solar panel could help mitigate the parking mode issue, though again, that won't work in every application, and obviously wouldn't work at night either.

i've noticed lately that my wife's cf-100, with some generic korean battery drain prevention device doesn't run in parking mode very long. went to grocery store, parked, and about 20 minutes later we get back to the car. when i start it, it doesn't say "parking mode is ending" but it says "2 channel recording is getting started" which means it turned off during that 20 minute visit to the store. car battery is fine - it's not even 6 months old yet. it's not cold either - it was in the mid-70s (f) yesterday. and i didn't leave any lights on (they turn off automatically anyway if they're on, but they weren't since it was still daytime). i'm thinking the BDP may be going bad. but i do like how the BDP is built into my CH-100B, and that you can configure it in the app.

the bigger issues with 4 channel is not so much technical as it is practical, how to design the side cameras to work with the widest selection of install/vehicle types, how to install it, how labour intensive it is to install

yes there's a market for 4 channel but it's not a simple product to make for the the aftermarket, if it were integrated at the time of manufacture it would be easy to do but would still be very vehicle specific which limits the appeal quite a lot

parking mode is a very flawed application, I don't believe any current solution really works well for this, each have their strengths and weaknesses, mostly weaknesses

You can take SUVs out of that equation: they already contain a stationary 3rd window that works with suction cups, velcro or just about any other attachment....you can even screw the lens onto the ceiling above those 3rd windows - it's out of the way back there,,,who cares! :cool:

And, if it's labor intensive, just take it to Best Buy to install...they will happily install them for you. :cool:

The most difficult dash cam to install, IMO, is the front one, given that it's an area seen by passengers and thieves alike, there are legal issues of obstruction of driver's view involved, and have eyesore hanging cable issues to address. Yet there are scores of front dash cam manufacturers that build and sell them and countless car owners (including many members in these forums) who have devised creative ways to install them. IMO, the dash cam industry just hasn't matured yet to the point where manufacturers can bet their money on 4-ch systems - especially since two 2-ch systems can fill many needs for now. But (disclaimer) this is just IMMHO. ;)

For many cars 2ch system will not work long in parking mode before battery discharge prevention kick-in, of course it's depends on capacity and health of the car battery. In order 4ch to be reliable to use for parking mode, we have to find solution for long term power supply, but this "concern" has to be addressed to battery manufacturers.

This is an interesting subject..Yet it is still beyond me why anyone would want a parking mode (PM) dash cam simply to record uninterruptedly instead of a motion detection (MD) based parking mode. I say this for I have read several other members (not you) state they use a PM dash cam to record uninterruptedly 24/7. I even read at least 1 forum where the member was arguing against motion-detection based systems because they created "false alarms" due to people walking by as well as cats and birds, etc. Hellooooo, it is a lot more time consuming to locate an vandalism/accident video clip in a system that is running the entire 8 hours while you slept than one that recorded only motion-triggered events during the same 8 hours. Seems to me that buffered PM detection based systems would given the owner all the vandalism and accident information needed while simultaneously having the least impact on the car's battery. (BTW, I am not cheering for a a MD-based PM dash cam without using a BDP device; I am simply saying that, all things being equal, a MD-based PM dash cam gives you the proverbial "best of both worlds".)

This is an interesting subject..Yet it is still beyond me why anyone would want a parking mode (PM) dash cam simply to record uninterruptedly instead of a motion detection (MD) based parking mode.

power consumption is practically identical either way so still doesn't change the power related problems

power consumption is practically identical either way so still doesn't change the power related problems

Still, a 1-night's sleep represents hundreds of 1-, 2-, and even 3-minute uninterrupted recording mode video clips compared to a handful of motion detection clips that one would have to search thru to find the clip with critical data. So, from your statement that power consumption would be the same, for me motion detection would be the clear winner as it minimizes retrieval time of the video with the critical vandalism/accident data. :)

motion detect may reduce the number of files recorded, it's not perfect either, too sensitive and it just keeps recording, not sensitive enough and it misses things it should have captured, damned if you do, damned if you don't

some people turn motion off and just use G-Sensor when parking, that also is a flawed method as plenty can happen without triggering a G-Sensor event

Back