Asks to Format Card. Every 1 in 6 starts.

RedSeal

Reaction score
Country
Australia
New V3 does this.
I just power it off and on again and it's good to go, but it's starting to get annoying.
(yes I have formatted it in the dcam)

Thank you.

P.S unit purchased about 4 weeks ago.

What size, brand, type microsd do you use?
Also are you using original supplied power charger or some 3rd party one?

not normal, sounds like the memory card is bad or is starting to fail. Definitely time to try a new memory card as that's the weakest link in any product

My v1 started doing this. Every second or third startup it gave me a memory card fail or something.

I thought fair enough I was an early adopter (probably one of the first few) so it's like two years old now.

Got myself a SanDisk high endurance 64gb, updated the firmware and formatted the card on the PC and in the cam after it updated the firmware.

Now it asks me to format the card every second or third startup which leads me to believe it's more like a hardware glitch.

Anyway I just unplug and re-plug the cigarette plug and it's starts up and records as normal but it takes a few goes usually.

Did you update to The latest firmware? Which power supply are you using some third-party ones are under powered and can cause odd behaviors with the CPU being underpowered.

I've shipped quite a few V1/V2/V3's and don't have other reports of this.

My v1 started doing this. Every second or third startup it gave me a memory card fail or something.

I thought fair enough I was an early adopter (probably one of the first few) so it's like two years old now.

Got myself a SanDisk high endurance 64gb, updated the firmware and formatted the card on the PC and in the cam after it updated the firmware.

Now it asks me to format the card every second or third startup which leads me to believe it's more like a hardware glitch.

Anyway I just unplug and re-plug the cigarette plug and it's starts up and records as normal but it takes a few goes usually.

if you want to send it to me (or bring it if you're nearby) I'll have a look at it and sort it out for you

Hi guys,

It's not the supplied cable which is probably the cause, I had a USB cable already routed so that goes into a USB socket plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Worked perfectly for like two years. I'll try replacing the cigarette-USB plug first and if that doesn't fix it I'll try with the supplied cable.

I did also update the firmware, same error different message.

Worked perfectly for like two years. I'll try replacing the cigarette-USB plug first and if that doesn't fix it I'll try with the supplied cable.

trying the included power cable is always a good idea, could be something is simple as your USB cable degrading over time and the added resistance affecting the output voltage, can happen

see how you go anyway and if it's deeper than that I can help you get it sorted

One reason cable performance can degrade over time is that contacts on the plugs can oxidize and corrode. There may be nothing wrong with the cable itself. Often treatment of the plugs with a good quality contact cleaner and conditioner can save a lot of time and effort that might otherwise be spent running new cables and is worth a try when one encounters a problem like this. One of the best product lines for this is DeoxIT from CAIG Labs.

a very common reason with cables out of China is so many of them are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) rather than OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) and as they are dissimilar metals they eat away at each other which increases resistance in the cable until they eventually fail

Yep thanks all, I'll see how I go on the weekend.

Back