'At home' mode?

Michael_K

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware FA200 dual, D1-era dual camera (side view)
Yes, I'd really like my car cam to know that it's at my house (and totally shut off, or perhaps I could configure which mode it would go into). This is actually a selling-point for me.
So, how do you shut off a car cam? If it has a parking mode, you have to do something to deactivate it -- correct?
Does any manufacturer make that automatic? E.g. with GPS (set up a geofence, within which it will shut off), or with WIFI (shut off if it sees my LAN).

Or, if no one has a unit that deactivates parking mode automatically, which units at least make it easy? Such as 1 button (as opposed to using the menu).

any model with a power button I would think
Ok. I'm going by what I read in a bunch of reviews: "If it's powered, it's recording."
I guess that I was taking that too literally, and assuming that there wouldn't be a power button.

I'd still like it to be automatic (I'm sure that I'll forget to turn it off).

You cant have automatic, other than the cameras inherent will to automatic record when the car is on, or change to parking mode when parked ( if that is turned on )
But as i understand it the cameras that do have parking mode you can cansle parking mode by pressing the power button once it have changed to parking mode.
Me when i get to try that i will just use a 30 minute timer, as that will cover all my shopping, and outside of that it is rare i park for longer out on the town, in which case i would just select a longer timer before i leave the car.
But in general 30 minutes, and i don't even mind it do that at home though i have CCTV on my car where it is parked, at least the back yard now have a good LED light on a PIR sensor so the dashcam might actually capture something.

What you are looking for are sort of a reverse geofence mode, normally geofence work by starting something when a car or something leave a certain position, but i guess it could be reversed.
would be kinda nice for us with CCTV at home, so you select a non parking mode coordinate in the menus, and after that when you arrive to that position parking guard are automatic disabled, and enabled again when you leave that position again.

Back