Automotive android head units can now utilize specially made dash cams.

country_hick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Android head units are becoming much more mainstream. There are head units that are pure unbranded junk and then there are a few well recognized brands that do a good job and offer excellent before and after sale support.

After you get a good quality android head unit with the needed hardware you may want to buy a dash cam that hooks up directly to it. This combination would allow you to look at your dash cam video on a large screen. If you buy the cheaper units expect them to have issues and to lack the ability to accept a dash cam.
Right now the android based dash cam options are limited. Most dash cams I found only offer 720p and a very few offer 1080 cams. Most of these are unknown and unbranded.
Hopefully in time the dash cams that can hook directly into an android head unit will increase in number and quality.

I would like to think in a few years all of the major dash cam makers will offer stable new dash cams that plug directly into an android (or factory) head unit.
Do you think this whole approach of attaching dash cams to android head units is a mistake or is it the next obvious step for dash cam manufacturers to take?

I found a 1080 front and rear android attached dashcam set that may be pure junk or may be good. I did not find a video about this unit or any real reviews.

I did find the main alibaba site the manufacturer of the dual cam system uses. This site has more information but it appears to have errors.

This video compares the big 3 branded android dash cams I am aware of.

2 videos below talk about what to look for in an android head unit (car radio).

Last edited:
I was at Oreilly’s a few months ago and noticed thei after market radios/stereos. It did get me thinking about replacing mine, so I would be able to have access to Apple Car play to show Google Maps on a larger screen.

I do remember thinking it would be nice to be able to route the AV out of my Viofo to the unit, so it would be easier to see if it froze while driving.

I haven’t looked to far into the different models or what I would need to do to replace the radio. I think I would need some type of mounting kit from what I’ve read on the boxes.

End of last year I decided to replace the standard head unit in my MR2 Roadster

I ended up buying an Erisin ES8149U 8-Core (I should think these models and model numbers change very frequently so maybe this model is out of date already)

One of the features I liked about this unit is that it connected up to any USB DVR, so at the same time of buying the head unit I also purchased the DVR:

Erisin ES650 USB camera DVR

And reversing camera (not yet connected to the car):

Erisin ES568 170º Car Auto Rear View Camera

Before installing the head unit to the car I connected everything up on the kitchen table to be sure I was connecting everything right

View of the DVR

Image from the DVR

Controlling the head unit from the steering wheel

Very thin profile, CD’s are already yesterdays technology, I didn’t want a CD player in my head unit, I can’t remember the last time I used a CD in my previous HU that had a CD player, at best must have been 2007 - 2008

I was at Oreilly’s a few months ago and noticed thei after market radios/stereos. It did get me thinking about replacing mine, so I would be able to have access to Apple Car play to show Google Maps on a larger screen.

I do remember thinking it would be nice to be able to route the AV out of my Viofo to the unit, so it would be easier to see if it froze while driving.

I haven’t looked to far into the different models or what I would need to do to replace the radio. I think I would need some type of mounting kit from what I’ve read on the boxes.
What you need depends on your machine. Some cars only need a wiring harness adapter to be added as they already have a perfect double din opening. Other cars need a new plastic pretty piece to house the head unit. It can cost anywhere from under $10 to $100 or more depending on your cars model and what needs to be changed. I discovered a newer ford mustang is more expensive to add a head unit to compared to other cars I looked at. My car could take an aftermarket head unit without needing more than a wiring harness.

I remember buying USB type Dashcam back in 2020, just realized my car didn't have head unit. Glad it worked fine when i just plugged it to usb cigarette lighter socket, sadly time stamp is useless without android head unit (Even i already set it up via my android phone) still going back to 2019/09/01. vlcsnap-2022-12-27-00h12m20s243.png

Back