B40 / A118 / AE-CC30 Mounted in your Car. ( Photos )

Do you think anything else in the hybrid could cause anything that would compromise the A188's performance (besides the already installed navigation system)?

Do you think anything else in the hybrid could cause anything that would compromise the A188's performance (besides the already installed navigation system)?

the nav you have won't cause any issue, nothing else should be a problem either really

Mine is in a Prius, no issues. I ran the power down the left side window molding, under the dash, to the lighter outlet in the center console storage area under the radio. Something like this:

Haven't done the GPS yet but that is just as easy, and will put the antenna near the factory antenna on the rear roof.

Reactions: jhm
Well that is funny, since my second best option is actually the Blackvue line-up. They have both GPS and WiFi built in, and that doesn't seem to screw up the performance. However I find that the picture quality (at least from what I have seen in YT videos) is crap, compared to the price. Give me a device like the A118, but put the functionality and quality of the Blackvue portfolio in it, and I will put an order straight away. :)

By the way Robert, I watched your YT-install, and I realy liked it. If I don't go for the A118, it will most certainly be the Blackvue DR600. :)

honestly, adding electronic accessories such as a stereo, dashcam, alarm or dvd player is no different in a hybrid than it is in a regular car. the hybrid electrical system is completely isolated from the standard electricals, and all high voltage leads are wrapped with a distinctive, brightly-colored wire loom, just like how all airbag wiring is wrapped in yellow loom (in toyotas at least). so avoid any colored looms, and make sure any wires you add in the pillars don't get in the way of where an airbag will deploy to (just in case you need it), and you'll be fine.

so basically you have to watch out for the same things as in any other modern car - airbags and their wiring.

claimer: starting in 2001 i was a certified mechanic at a toyota dealer for almost 8 years and installed and serviced plenty of aftermarket goodies in both new and used cars.

honestly, adding electronic accessories such as a stereo, dashcam, alarm or dvd player is no different in a hybrid than it is in a regular car. the hybrid electrical system is completely isolated from the standard electricals, and all high voltage leads are wrapped with a distinctive, brightly-colored wire loom, just like how all airbag wiring is wrapped in yellow loom (in toyotas at least). so avoid any colored looms, and make sure any wires you add in the pillars don't get in the way of where an airbag will deploy to (just in case you need it), and you'll be fine.

so basically you have to watch out for the same things as in any other modern car - airbags and their wiring.

claimer: starting in 2001 i was a certified mechanic at a toyota dealer for almost 8 years and installed and serviced plenty of aftermarket goodies in both new and used cars.

A lot of what you say makes perfectly sense. However, on the modern Toyota Hybrids, there are things to look out for. The 12V battery for instance, is very small and disturbances could easily lead to a flat 12V battery. Just recently my model (among others) had a special firmware upgrade performed (regarding the combination instrument) to resolve this. Prior to this particular hybrid, I have had six other Toyotas, and the 12V batteries were significantly greater in capacity on these non-hybrid models.

By the way, I have also worked for Toyota, and now as a customer, I sometimes find that communications could be vastly improved, especially in Sweden, but that is totally OT i guess. :)

A lot of what you say makes perfectly sense. However, on the modern Toyota Hybrids, there are things to look out for. The 12V battery for instance, is very small and disturbances could easily lead to a flat 12V battery. Just recently my model (among others) had a special firmware upgrade performed (regarding the combination instrument) to resolve this. Prior to this particular hybrid, I have had six other Toyotas, and the 12V batteries were significantly greater in capacity on these non-hybrid models.

By the way, I have also worked for Toyota, and now as a customer, I sometimes find that communications could be vastly improved, especially in Sweden, but that is totally OT i guess. :)
well as long as you aren't trying to use this camera in parking mode (which apparently it's no good for anyway), then there shouldn't be an issue. if you hardwire it, just make sure that whichever circuit you tap into is actually key-switched. a good candidate would be the power windows or sunroof circuit - that's what i tapped into on my camry. The sienna didn't have a sunroof, so i tapped into the power supply line for the little trip "computer" in the overhead console - displays things like fuel economy, outside temp, distance to empty, and a compass. that way i didn't have to run any cables down the A-pillars in either car, thus making the install much easier. by using an existing circuit that the car itself controls, you don't have to worry about parasitic drain, and thus don't have to worry about the little 12v battery in your hybrid.

I'll add mine here too, on a 1970 VW Beetle

Decently hidden from the outside -
mP5XdLM.jpg

hgPz41x.jpg

Got the wiring ran along the inside of the A-pillar, along the top and out the rearview mirror mount.
u2Gtdmj.jpg

Couple shots of it in use -
KEaYXvg.jpg

SK6dKn9.jpg

Rg801WM.jpg

A 3 min snip of my commute home (nothing special happens) -

Thanks. Sorry for didn't realize of the video section.

good video, and glad they didn't hit you... but this should be posted in the dashcam videos (videos taken by you) section of the forum. :)

Finally got some pics of the A118 in my wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna minivan. from the outside it's actually very difficult to see, even up close - perfectly stealthy. i had a hard time getting my cameraphone to focus on the camera instead of reflections in the glass. in the exterior pictures, the camera is mounted just to the right of the black spot where the mirror attaches to the glass. very hard to see in all but the extreme closeup pics. which to me says this is a very stealthy camera. the white square to the left of the mirror mount is the toll road transponder sticker.

inside, the wire cover makes it look pretty much OEM. My wife likes the clean look - there are no exposed wires anywhere.

sienna out full.jpg sienna outside.jpg sienna out closeup1.jpgsienna out closeup2.jpg sienna in driver.jpg sienna in side.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice. Thumbs up! :)

Finally got some pics of the A118 in my wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna minivan. from the outside it's actually very difficult to see, even up close - perfectly stealthy. i had a hard time getting my cameraphone to focus on the camera instead of reflections in the glass. in the exterior pictures, the camera is mounted just to the right of the black spot where the mirror attaches to the glass. very hard to see in all but the extreme closeup pics. which to me says this is a very stealthy camera. the white square to the left of the mirror mount is the toll road transponder sticker.

inside, the wire cover makes it look pretty much OEM. My wife likes the clean look - there are no exposed wires anywhere.

View attachment 8879 View attachment 8881 View attachment 8882View attachment 8883 View attachment 8884 View attachment 8885

Close, ours is better ;)

If you want one let me know and I'll do something special for you

Hey mate, been a while! Thanks for the reply!

I'm very keen :)

Back