Best 256gb sd card for A129 duo?

It wasn't too many years ago that there were no cards being warrantied by any card manufacturer for dashcam-type write-intensive use :oops: That didn't stop us from using and trying different cards then sharing our results. Those shared results sometimes covered attempted warranty returns, some of which were successful while some weren't.

The way I see this is that what matters most is we share true info here, good or bad, about the cards we use and recommend. It's not necessary to use only cards warrantied for our usage as long as the cards work as we expect them to ;) If you have warranty claim experience then by all means please share that with us too, but don't go thinking that only cards warrantied for dashcam use are worth having because that isn't true :cautious:

None of the cards I use in my cams are warrantied for dashcam use. I know a warranty is not going to recover lost footage due to a failed card so IMHO warranties and card manufacturers intentions of usage for their cards are of little value in comparison to a cards actual reliability in use :cool:

Phil

SanDisk (and not only) are using different technologies when creating Extreme type and High Endurance type. The killers for a card are dashcams and

You've 100% missed the point. Sharing cards that work and dont work on the forum is very important. But what I am saying is the High Endurance card, SOLD AS BEING DASHCAM FRIENDLY, only has a 2 year warranty. My Sandisk A2 Extreme is not a "Dash Cam / High Endurance Friendly Card" and works fine in my Viofo A129. It has a Lifetime warranty (30 years). So far within 1 year of constant use the card has NEVER failed.

So if my A2 Extreme Lasts 2 years, it is the same as the guarantee from Sandisk for a High Endurance Card Warranty (2 Years). Except now if my A2 dies in 3 or 4 years, Sandisk will unlikely check why the card died, and issue a replacement. Unfortunately, after 2 years with the High Endurance, your warranty expired.

@Andy McKay seems to think because the card isn't listed as High Endurance, that the card isn't supported or recommended. He is wrong. Other cards work just fine, even if they are not specifically meant to be written to over and over like a High Endurance. I.E. My A2 Extreme has not failed under constant use. So one does not have to use a Short Warranty Sandisk High Endurance (2 Years) to get the same results.

It wasn't too many years ago that there were no cards being warrantied by any card manufacturer for dashcam-type write-intensive use :oops: That didn't stop us from using and trying different cards then sharing our results. Those shared results sometimes covered attempted warranty returns, some of which were successful while some weren't.

The way I see this is that what matters most is we share true info here, good or bad, about the cards we use and recommend. It's not necessary to use only cards warrantied for our usage as long as the cards work as we expect them to ;)If you have warranty claim experience then by all means please share that with us too, but don't go thinking that only cards warrantied for dashcam use are worth having because that isn't true :cautious:

None of the cards I use in my cams are warrantied for dashcam use. I know a warranty is not going to recover lost footage due to a failed card so IMHO warranties and card manufacturers intentions of usage for their cards are of little value in comparison to a cards actual reliability in use :cool:

Phil

EXACTLY!

Nowhere has it been said that they "can't" be used, just that some options are better than others. Of course it's not necessary to use a card that doesn't exclude dashcam use from the warranty, but it makes you wonder "why" they are excluding it. Companies are going to be very careful with their warranty terms. If there is a reason that something is excluded, it's a clue that this sort of use case has created enough feedback, either through customer reports or through their own repair/RMA data, for them to examine the issue. To end up on that exclusion list the product would have to have demonstrated that it is not up to that task, on average, over the long term. Yes, there will be cases where they work fine for years. Companies are going to look at the MTBF rate to make a determination like this and not individual cases.

Besides, where really is the savings in going with a non-endurance card? A 128GB Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card is $25.98 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07NY23WBG). A 128GB Ultra is $19.24 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073JYC4XM). You'll save $6.74. For something as mission-critical as some people say their dashcam is (i.e. how an occasional dropped frame, or a duplicated frame every 3 seconds is a nearly show-stopping bug), is that $6.74 worth it? Especially after potentially spending hundreds of dollars on the camera(s) it(them)self?

In my country a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card is about $39 and Sandisk Extreme A2 is $37. Why to pay less $2 for a card which is not recommended for dashcams?
You've 100% missed the point.
You missed 101% the point from your first post of this thread. Again, this is the title of the thread:
The thread is not called:
Yo, man, what cheap card did you bought for your dashcam which lucky is still working and not fcked yet the camera and recordings?
So if somebody wants the best, lets recommend them cards engineered and made for dashcams.

Long story short, High Endurance cards are using usually MLC type memory, which is more reliable than TLC type which you can find in cheaper cards.
@HonestReview - the cards you recommend may be a little faster but less reliable as per number of times a block can be rewritten.
I saw you making a big deal out of reliability on other forums, but here you go for cheap and fast, completely ignoring the reliability. So what's it gonna be?

Nowhere has it been said that they "can't" be used, just that some options are better than others. Of course it's not necessary to use a card that doesn't exclude dashcam use from the warranty, but it makes you wonder "why" they are excluding it. Companies are going to be very careful with their warranty terms. If there is a reason that something is excluded, it's a clue that this sort of use case has created enough feedback, either through customer reports or through their own repair/RMA data, for them to examine the issue. To end up on that exclusion list the product would have to have demonstrated that it is not up to that task, on average, over the long term. Yes, there will be cases where they work fine for years. Companies are going to look at the MTBF rate to make a determination like this and not individual cases.

Besides, where really is the savings in going with a non-endurance card? A 128GB Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card is $25.98 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07NY23WBG). A 128GB Ultra is $19.24 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073JYC4XM). You'll save $6.74. For something as mission-critical as some people say their dashcam is (i.e. how an occasional dropped frame, or a duplicated frame every 3 seconds is a nearly show-stopping bug), is that $6.74 worth it? Especially after potentially spending hundreds of dollars on the camera(s) it(them)self?

I'd never buy a MicroSD card off Amazon. Just an aside FYI. Loads and loads of fakes floating around there.

I'm not disputing that manufacturers perform tolerance tests to see how a card performs. But it makes you wonder why Sandisk is only offering a 2 year warranty on High Endurance Cards. It appears Sandisk lacks confidence in their own product. Where other cards have 30 year / Lifetime warranties.

Anecdotal or not, I have two A2 Extremes running for about a year, and so far the cards work error free and neither camera has frozen. Could errors suddently start appearing with constant read / writes? Sure, but let's imagine I get 2 years of flawless performance. That's equal to the High Endurance, and I can warranty my card. As I'd make a bet that Sandisk isn't going to dig into the failure all that thoroughly.

So why this topic might be the "Best", I deem the A2 a very solid performer. And I drive a LOT. Averaging around 18,000 miles or more a year (29,000KM). Therefore, I have plenty of confidence my Sandisk A2. I'll report back over the next year if problems develop. If you are all that interested.

In my country a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card is about $39 and Sandisk Extreme A2 is $37. Why to pay less $2 for a card which is not recommended for dashcams?

You missed 101% the point from your first post of this thread. Again, this is the title of the thread:
The thread is not called:
Yo, man, what cheap card did you bought for your dashcam which lucky is still working and not fcked yet the camera and recordings?
So if somebody wants the best, lets recommend them cards engineered and made for dashcams.

Because Sandisk has such confidence, they warranty their card for a whopping 2 years....Other cards are 30 years / Lifetime. Which no one would ever bother keeping that long, but you see the point. The card NOT RATED as high endurance has performed solid for 1 year. If I get 2 years out of the card, then I've surpassed the High Endurance. That's fine, if you want the "best" get the high endurance. I have no problems recommending the A2. Two cards running constantly in 2x A129 Duos and not a single hiccup in year.

Long story short, High Endurance cards are using usually MLC type memory, which is more reliable than TLC type which you can find in cheaper cards.
@HonestReview - the cards you recommend may be a little faster but less reliable as per number of times a block can be rewritten.
I saw you making a big deal out of reliability on other forums, but here you go for cheap and fast, completely ignoring the reliability. So what's it gonna be?

Understood. Way I look at it is if I get 2 years+ out of the TLC A2, I'm happy. Chances are the Camera + Card will be replaced out as technology changes
anyhow. Right now, 2x A2 Extremes have a lifecycle of about 1 year of constant use. We'll see if they make it another year. If so I'm happy. Maybe the next card I'll buy will be a High Endurance. We shall see.

Either way, I would recommend the A2 as a compatible card for the A129 Duo. The best? Best is subjective I guess because a 2 year warranty doesn't tell me Sandisk has the upmost confidence in their device. Especially if my A2 lasts 2 years+. Call me the beta tester LOL.

If my A2 fails before 2 years, you'll see me her saying well I'm 100% wrong. I banked on crap and got crap. I can admit defeat if it happens.

they only offer lifetime warranties for applications where it's not going to be an issue anyway, put the card in a mobile phone for storing your photos and it's never going to wear out, dashcams, DVR's etc are constantly writing data and will wear any card out in time

they only offer lifetime warranties for applications where it's not going to be an issue anyway, put the card in a mobile phone for storing your photos and it's never going to wear out, dashcams, DVR's etc are constantly writing data and will wear any card out in time

True. None the less MicroSD cards aren't all that expensive to replace. If it dies in 2 or 3 years, I'll buy another. If it dies sooner, same. After all, the High Endurance only claims to have a 2 year guarantee. Meaning that's what Sandisk assesses its shelf life to be before failures occur.

The A-2 has been used daily for a year and has held up. I guess I'll be the beta tester to see how long it lasts and whether I replace the Card + Camera First or if the Card dies beforehand.

You should replace the card regardless before it fails, there's no warning as to when that will happen so it's good practice to replace them at regular intervals

You should replace the card regardless before it fails, there's no warning as to when that will happen so it's good practice to replace them at regular intervals

Presumably, the risk of any card failing remains a possibility, even high endurance. Generally, if a storage device begins to fail, it'll generate errors. Camera freezing would be a sure sign of trouble. Meaning it's time to test card and see if there are bad sectors. Once that happens, it's time to order a new one.

I have gotten RMA on ordinary memory cards a few times, at one time i had like 4 64 GB kingston cards, and one was dying on me about every month for a while, but i just went to the shop where i got it after having done a RMA form at home on the computer and gotten a RMA number, and 5 minutes later i walked out of there with a new card in my hand.
I think i did that 4- 5 times before i felt sorry for them and just got a new ( another brand ) card when one died.

One of those kingston cards just would not work in my Mobius camera, but any other similar kongston card i had worked just fine, and the problem card worked just fine in my Lukas camera.

Reactions: Mtz
Errors are likely happening before it gets to the point where the camera will freeze

From my experience, if bad sectors develop on a device, files will begin to corrupt. And you'll get write errors. This should be sufficient to cause the camera to freeze or act erratically, since the Camera will be unable to write to the bad sectors once they are reached.

Your „experience” which is from february 2019 and 749 posts seems to be better than everybody experience including SanDisk company which is cheating us with High Endurance cards or the user with almost 50K forum posts (99% helping people posts) and forum experience from 2013.
Your experience with „2 years” warranty for High Endurance cards was discovered by you few days ago because of this forum. Before this thread you don't know that some cards are special for dashcam usage.
Why are you hanging from any idea in the threads trying to tell us that your experience matters more than manufacturers experience or specifications?
Why is not enough this
put the card in a mobile phone for storing your photos and it's never going to wear out, dashcams, DVR's etc are constantly writing data and will wear any card out in time
for you? What are you trying to demonstrate? Why don't you want to understand that if a card is including a technology recommended for dashcam usage we should recommend that type of card first?
If a forum is moderated by God for sure you are member there and your experience is greater than God's experience.

Your „experience” which is from february 2019 and 749 posts seems to be better than everybody experience including SanDisk company which is cheating us with High Endurance cards or the user with almost 50K forum posts (99% helping people posts) and forum experience from 2013.
Your experience with „2 years” warranty for High Endurance cards was discovered by you few days ago because of this forum. Before this thread you don't know that some cards are special for dashcam usage.
Why are you hanging from any idea in the threads trying to tell us that your experience matters more than manufacturers experience or specifications?
Why is not enough this

Did I say cheating you? I said Sandisk offered a 2 year warranty on their High Endurance Cards. That's not putting "A lot of Faith" into their own product. If another product will offer the same or better results, (and I guess I'll know the answer as time passes), then why pick a product that offers an inferior warranty.

If my cards dies or develops errors over the next year, then my experiment is a failure.

What are you trying to demonstrate? Why don't you want to understand that if a card is including a technology recommended for dashcam usage we should recommend that type of card first?

That just because a product is marketed as such, doesn't always make it the best available product? So I'm "testing" other products to see how they hold up under same or similar conditions? - If my card dies, I'll buy a new one. So far so good....

From my experience, if bad sectors develop on a device, files will begin to corrupt. And you'll get write errors. This should be sufficient to cause the camera to freeze or act erratically, since the Camera will be unable to write to the bad sectors once they are reached.
no offence but I'm sure I would have seen more problems than you have, they are not always so obvious unfortunately

no offence but I'm sure I would have seen more problems than you have, they are not always so obvious unfortunately

I'll be more than happy to run tests on the SD card for errors. What program do you prefer and ill happily grab it.

Back