Best 256gb sd card for A129 duo?

I don't understand why you think that would be of any use, please explain???

You are saying that errors might not always cause erratic behavior or the camera to freeze. So if you'd like, I can run a test on the cards to see if in the year I've used them, the cards have suffered any performance issues that have gone unnoticed

You are saying that errors might not always cause erratic behavior or the camera to freeze. So if you'd like, I can run a test on the cards to see if in the year I've used them, the cards have suffered any performance issues that have gone unnoticed
check your recordings, card tests aren't going to show you any individual sector errors

the point was not whether your card has problems but the fact that you can have card errors well before you have any visual cues provided by the camera, thinking that you'll see the camera freezing when you start getting errors is highly unlikely, most card errors go totally unnoticed by end users, I can tell you when they do find out though, when they have an accident and go looking for files

this is why we suggest regular inspection of recordings, regular formatting, and regular replacement of memory cards based on how much use they've had, there are people that think cards don't wear out (perhaps they get this idea based on things like lifetime warranties), nothing could be further than the truth though

check your recordings, card tests aren't going to show you any individual sector errors

the point was not whether your card has problems but the fact that you can have card errors well before you have any visual cues provided by the camera, thinking that you'll see the camera freezing when you start getting errors is highly unlikely, most card errors go totally unnoticed by end users, I can tell you when they do find out though, when they have an accident and go looking for files

this is why we suggest regular inspection of recordings, regular formatting, and regular replacement of memory cards based on how much use they've had, there are people that think cards don't wear out (perhaps they get this idea based on things like lifetime warranties), nothing could be further than the truth though

Give me some credit please.....Emptying the card and doing a write / read test I.E. H2testw or a program you preferred. I'll be more than happy to copy all data off card and perform any test you'd like. Especially since people here feel this card is "destined to fail". We can check the cards progress after 1 year... and maybe again in 6 months and then in another 6 months.

To see if the TLC memory A2 is really capable of handling a Dash Camera....for the 2 years that a High Endurance is guaranteed. Pretty much if both cards make it "2 Years", I'd call it a wash.

FYI: I realize TLC is inferior to MLC memory....But the question here is can TLC really work "OK" in a Dash Camera. People here seem to think "NO".

all cards are destined to fail, running h2testw will tell you nothing useful related to that

I've used the A2 cards also, they're good cards, that said if it's a memory size that is available in High Endurance then I wouldn't use an A2 card, (we do use them for the larger sizes only), anything 256Gb or smaller we only use High Endurance cards, it's not about will they last 2 years or longer, at the 2 year mark I'd be replacing the card as a preventative measure anyway, a card can fail at anytime, the High Endurance cards are covered for 2 years for use in a dashcam, the A2 cards have no warranty for dashcam use, if you're unlucky enough to have one fail before 2 years at least with the High Endurance cards it will get replaced under warranty, if it's an A2 card the loss is on you

I purchased a Sandisk (A1) 200gb sd card for the a129 duo (back in august 2019) upgraded from Sandisk (A1) 128gb which has been faultless but just wanted a tad more recording space, it's been faultless & no issues whatsoever so in case anyone wants a 200gb card it is a lot cheaper compared to the 256gb & it works perfectly fine.

all cards are destined to fail, running h2testw will tell you nothing useful related to that

I've used the A2 cards also, they're good cards, that said if it's a memory size that is available in High Endurance then I wouldn't use an A2 card, (we do use them for the larger sizes only), anything 256Gb or smaller we only use High Endurance cards, it's not about will they last 2 years or longer, at the 2 year mark I'd be replacing the card as a preventative measure anyway, a card can fail at anytime, the High Endurance cards are covered for 2 years for use in a dashcam, the A2 cards have no warranty for dashcam use, if you're unlucky enough to have one fail before 2 years at least with the High Endurance cards it will get replaced under warranty, if it's an A2 card the loss is on you

I randomly check to make sure the card is still recording by checking to see if videos are present and if they play. The 256GB A2 was what was available at the time in that size and it seems to work without issue. So I figure why replace at the moment. And the camera doesn't seem to mind the card, as it records without issue. Not the same issue I had with the Ultra Plus card where camera froze.

None the less, the A2 will get replaced at some point. As you put it, all cards do fail eventually.

Hello all - I purchased two Sandisk 256GB high endurance cards from Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon) for my Viofo A129 Duo. Formatted the first one in the camera and then went to test it out to make sure they were real cards.

I used the h2testw program to check it and selected "all available space (243,979 MB)"
I clicked "Write + Verify" and it gives me a message that it will only test "243,979 MB while the total capacity is 243,980 MB..."
When I go to convert 243,980 MB to GB, I get 244GB.
What happened to the remaining 12GB?

Also, when checking the properties of the card, it shows:
Used space: 262,144 bytes - 256KB
Free space: 255,831,310,336 bytes - 238GB
Is this normal? Why doesn't it show 256GB as the free space?

Used for storing the File Access Tables (hold the location of the files and their names and details).
It gives the space that you can use, the total minus FAT space.

You should probably have got 238, based on the definition of a GB being 1024 MB, and a MB being 1024 KB, and a KB being 1024 bytes.
1024 being used because it is the nearest power of 2 to 1000, and memory is almost always built in powers of 2.

Yes, it is perfectly normal and correct.

Hello all - I purchased two Sandisk 256GB high endurance cards from Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon) for my Viofo A129 Duo. Formatted the first one in the camera and then went to test it out to make sure they were real cards.

I used the h2testw program to check it and selected "all available space (243,979 MB)"
I clicked "Write + Verify" and it gives me a message that it will only test "243,979 MB while the total capacity is 243,980 MB..."

Also, when checking the properties of the card, it shows:
Used space: 262,144 bytes - 256KB
Free space: 255,831,310,336 bytes - 238GB

Binary screws you. 1024 is the magic number. So 1024 MB to a Gigabyte. So
Thanks, Nigel. I am not a techy guy, but just know enough to get by. Never really paid much attention to memory for anything, so I had to ask.

Binary sucks... the long story short = 256 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 divided by 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 238GB Advertised sizes assume 1000 and not the actual 1024 found in binary.

Like selling you a brand new car and finding out it requires a subscription to use those features. No truth in marketing!

Binary screws you. 1024 is the magic number. So 1024 MB to a Gigabyte. So

Binary sucks... the long story short = 256 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 divided by 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 238GB Advertised sizes assume 1000 and not the actual 1024 found in binary.

Like selling you a brand new car and finding out it requires a subscription to use those features. No truth in marketing!
Nothing to do with marketing or magic, it is just that the devices are binary devices with the memory layed out in powers of 2, and if you use decimal (10 isn't a power of 2) to do the maths then you end up with nasty numbers (1024) which we then round down and divide into nice numbers (1), and then do more maths using the nice numbers which inevitably has rounding errors in the result!

In decimal:
1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,073,741,824 = 1GB

And in binary the exact same sum is:
10000000000 x 10000000000 x 10000000000 = 1000000000000000000000000000000 = 1GB

Or in a more compact format of decimal:
2¹º x 2¹º x 2¹º = 2³º

If the culture that developed our counting system had decided to only use fingers for counting, instead of fingers and thumbs, then 1GB would have been a nice number: 10000000000 = 10¹² = 1GB in octal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octal#By_Europeans

Last edited:
Nothing to do with marketing or magic, it is just that the devices are binary devices with the memory layed out in powers of 2, and if you use decimal (10 isn't a power of 2) to do the maths then you end up with nasty numbers (1024) which we then round down and divide into nice numbers (1), and then do more maths using the nice numbers which inevitably has rounding errors in the result!

In decimal:
1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,073,741,824 = 1GB

And in binary the exact same sum is:
10000000000 x 10000000000 x 10000000000 = 1000000000000000000000000000000 = 1GB

Or in a more compact format of decimal:
2¹º x 2¹º x 2¹º = 2³º

If the culture that developed our counting system had decided to only use fingers for counting, instead of fingers and thumbs, then 1GB would have been a nice number: 10000000000 = 10¹² = 1GB in octal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octal#By_Europeans

Or manufactures could accept we work in Binary and advertise a 1TB as 936GB or actually make a 1TB drive and market as such.

Hi. Just bought a Viofo duo a129 IR dash cam , for my Taxi, and the " sandisk extreme microsdxc (uhs 3 / v30) a2 128gb", and dont work that SD. i put the SD card into the dash cam, and even ask me for format, even. well i format with the Viofo dash cam, and work fine. Save videos when i am driving, but if i stop the engine, and later start iT, another time ask for format the SD.
that not good, any idea???

Hi. Just bought a Viofo duo a129 IR dash cam , for my Taxi, and the " sandisk extreme microsdxc (uhs 3 / v30) a2 128gb", and dont work that SD. i put the SD card into the dash cam, and even ask me for format, even. well i format with the Viofo dash cam, and work fine. Save videos when i am driving, but if i stop the engine, and later start iT, another time ask for format the SD.
that not good, any idea???

Sounds like you bought a fake card??? Where'd you get it from? That or a faulty one. I have 2 in my A129 Duos for ~ year and never had a hiccup.

Just bought in Amazon, with the Viofo a129 dashcam. By the way the SD works fine in the computer

Thanks i am trying nos, that is very slow. I Will answer hoy later, Hope good news, thanks

Bad news. Just usted that software and the problem continúe. Thanks

Back