Best camera to mount on the helmet

ChrisLee

Reaction score
Country
Iceland
I think about starting to record my motorcycle riding. I ride mostly for pleasure - sightseeing etc. And I need a camera with the longest battery life ever. Moreover, I hate cubes sticking from the helmet. I need something more aerodynamic. And it shouldn't be too expensive. Could you help me?

Not really designed for the helmet but you might be able to do something with the bullethd biker pro or lower cost biker mate. (Or think about mounting it to your bike as it was designed)

Drift Stealth is a fairly slim camera or TCL SVC200, or the Contour Roam 3.

If it is to go on the side of the helmet i would go for one of the sony action cameras , and if i was the one to deside i sure wouldent have a camera on the top of the helmet and look like some teletubbie biker.

Smallset one is the AS200V model.
sony-x100v-as200v-group-shot.jpg

You may allso be able to use the pansonics HX-A500 or the cheaper 100 or simmilar form factors, but that is a camera on a wire, so you will need to have the main unit inside your Jacket.

hx-a500review-450x350.jpg

Panasonic allso have the new HX-a1 out.

HX-A1-Action-Cam-Panasonic-02.jpg

Be advised all these small action cameras have pretty limited battery time, i would prefer a bike mounted solution like the bullethd solution.

"Dont get it wet" will be pretty hard to do on Iceland i figure, cant be a thrilling summer they have up there in the north atlantic.

Last edited:
OK so here is my first Post. Hi all. I have been using a Garmin Verb Elite for several years now on my Can Am Spyder. The unit takes great video/audio and battery last about 2 hours I have added a power plug so I don't worry about battery power.
Need to add that when I use it on my helmet I have a antigravity battery in my jacket pocket for added power via usb cable

Mobius, lens rotated 90 degrees, USB power bank if you want longer than two hours recording, don't get it wet

The Mobius is a good, rugged, modestly priced suggestion but for extended use on a motorcycle the lens would need some sort of protection from wind driven particles and grit or it will get pitted. Of course, this applies to all the other good suggestions made here as well if they don't come from the factory with a solution for this.

at least with the Mobius a replacement lens is available at a reasonable cost for when it does get too badly pitted

Mobius, lens rotated 90 degrees, USB power bank if you want longer than two hours recording, don't get it wet

I totally agree with you. I think Mobius series are the good choice.

Mobius C: Wide angle lens: H 140 degrees, V 102 degrees, D 170 degrees

Mobius C2: HFOV 131 degree wide view angle
FOV: 1080P / 720p / WVGA 5 - 30fps wide

I googled all cameras recommended here and this drift stealth seems to be something I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with it? I've seen it's small and aerodynamic and its batteries live long, so it has all I need, but still I will be grateful for any information about this camera before I decide to buy it.

Mobius is simply good. I own the same and I have a great experience.

Mobius C: Wide angle lens: H 140 degrees, V 102 degrees, D 170 degrees

Mobius C2: HFOV 131 degree wide view angle
FOV: 1080P / 720p / WVGA 5 - 30fps wide

I have never heard of that. Where can I get the Mobius H lens or the D lens?

H orizontal FOV and D iagonal FOV

Its the actual angles of view on the wide angle lens, it depend how ppl list it, some list horizontal some diagonal degrees, its somthing to look out for when buying a loose lens or a dashcam.
The vertical value is offcourse the smallest one as the 1920x1080 format is not square, so a lot of waste angle in the vertical plane.

as you can see the wide angle lens is 170 degrees diagonal, but horizontal its just 140 degrees, and thats not much if you are shooting for a super wide angle lens or camera.

Last edited:
Please, stop mounting cameras on helmets. It's awful trying to watch clips from helmet cams.
I've seen a few clips where the biker completely misses all the most relevant footage because he's too busy watching other stuff. didn't get the numberplate or driver's face on the way in then spends the rest of the time looking everywhere but the most essential.

The Dr
I think about starting to record my motorcycle riding. I ride mostly for pleasure - sightseeing etc. And I need a camera with the longest battery life ever. Moreover, I hate cubes sticking from the helmet. I need something more aerodynamic. And it shouldn't be too expensive. Could you help me?

The Drift Stealth size wise is ideal for helmet mounting, I would have said it was the best camera for a helmet except i've had 3 of these all became faulty after a few weeks use ie locked up unable to power up. Now got a Tcl Svc 200 half the price none of the Stealth issues.

Not perfect, with flaws and hard to get hold off - Innovv C3 is cheap and is perfect form factor.

Aside for the magenta flash i can not say anything negative about the Innovv C3 i use in my car.

I coulld see it beeing a little problematic to take on the camera and helmet, but not that bad so if you dont drive and stop al the time i cant see it as a major problem.

Myself if i was a biker i would go for bike mounted cameras, helmet footage is stressing to watch and i cant see it beeing better than having camera on bike.

Beside the safty issue i allso think there is a reson all the onbord footage you see from MC races is allso bike mounted cameras.

Aside for the magenta flash i can not say anything negative about the Innovv C3 i use in my car.

I coulld see it beeing a little problematic to take on the camera and helmet, but not that bad so if you dont drive and stop al the time i cant see it as a major problem.

Myself if i was a biker i would go for bike mounted cameras, helmet footage is stressing to watch and i cant see it beeing better than having camera on bike.

Beside the safty issue i allso think there is a reson all the onbord footage you see from MC races is allso bike mounted cameras.
One of those- "damned either way" ;)
I had my GT680W on bike... not great, as it is almost like car footage, but way, way more shaky, if I'd have it on helmet- I'd look like unicorn or rhinocerous, but most importantly i couldn't mount it nowhere. I agree helmet footage is somewhat distorted, but would be preferred choice for me personally, as it would film almost what I see or want to see.
My $0.02ct is on snake type format and for bike good GYRO would be beneficial more, than it is of importance in a car. Costs are important too... and possibility to fit it back in a car also... and to be able to use it as a action cam water rafting would be good... and night footage MUST be excellent also... :p

Back