Best dash cam for under $50

Thanks for the coupon code. Is it worth it getting capacitors instead of batteries? Is there a difference in how long they can last when they are unplugged?
I would assume that the capacitors would be superior in my case, because I will be using the cam in warm weather.

Yes capacitors are better for long term reliability purposes from what I read. However, to the best of my knowledge that is not an option on this model, and a mod would be quite difficult as you would also have to modify the camera's firmware to account for the faster shut down time. I'm not sure on how long it can last on battery, but its pretty short, maybe a minute maximum? As for the hot weather, the yi's have many reports of becoming slightly blurry under hot weather , however others have seen nothing. Its up to you whether you want to risk it.

Yes capacitors are better for long term reliability purposes from what I read. However, to the best of my knowledge that is not an option on this model, and a mod would be quite difficult as you would also have to modify the camera's firmware to account for the faster shut down time. I'm not sure on how long it can last on battery, but its pretty short, maybe a minute maximum? As for the hot weather, the yi's have many reports of becoming slightly blurry under hot weather , however others have seen nothing. Its up to you whether you want to risk it.
I think I'm going to risk it and get the Yi. I'm just concerned about the laws, and where I should mount it. Should I mount it on the dashboard, if it isn't allowed on the windshield? Would I have to buy another mount? :unsure:

I think I'm going to risk it and get the Yi. I'm just concerned about the laws, and where I should mount it. Should I mount it on the dashboard, if it isn't allowed on the windshield? Would I have to buy another mount? :unsure:

we have a lot of customers in those states as do many other brands I'm sure and I've yet to hear of anyone having issues with having the cam mounted on the window, be sensible about where you mount it of course, up behind the mirror on the passenger side generally keeps it out of the drivers view and is unlikely to get you any grief from the police, make sure you use the screensaver function and don't have the LCD on as that can be a bigger issue due to distraction

And pay attention if you are going to buy Yi,to buy one with US firmware in it not Chinese CN firmware.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

make sure you use the screensaver function and don't have the LCD on as that can be a bigger issue due to distraction
Interesting to say that about distraction from LCD.In my case(I drive cab/taxi),I have 7" tablet,dashcam,and cellphone to get distracted,but none of those distract me at all while I am driving,but I was sick tired of explaining to customer what a dashcam is and what I use it for(dashcams arent so often in my country or my city),kids they saw dashcam in a less than a minute and then ask for their parents what is it,parents ask me and so on....Anyway...in last time I use screesaver to not because distraction but to avoid all of those questions.I was gone little off topic(sorry),but I think I should share this here.

we have a lot of customers in those states as do many other brands I'm sure and I've yet to hear of anyone having issues with having the cam mounted on the window, be sensible about where you mount it of course, up behind the mirror on the passenger side generally keeps it out of the drivers view and is unlikely to get you any grief from the police, make sure you use the screensaver function and don't have the LCD on as that can be a bigger issue due to distraction

So, on the mirror bar, in the top center of the car? That is where I plan on mounting it. Does the Yi come with multiple mounts, or just the 3M stick? Aloo, I don't plan on keeping the LCD on.

Do you think that I can get over 8hrs with a 64gb microSD card? This was the responce to an Amazon comment. Also, do you think audio will make a large distance in file size?

At 30fps = 8hrs 35mins.

At 60fps = 7hrs 18mins.
Does that seem about right?

So, on the mirror bar, in the top center of the car? That is where I plan on mounting it. Does the Yi come with multiple mounts, or just the 3M stick? Aloo, I don't plan on keeping the LCD on.
Depends of seller,my came with a suction mount and as gift I got another suction cup(smaller).You should mount your Yi on the windshield behind or a little left from your inside rear view mirror,so you can press "urgent recording button",or to eject your mucro sd card,or adjust your dashcams view etc.There is a thread on this forum with pictures of how others mount their dashcams its all similar.

Do you think that I can get over 8hrs with a 64gb microSD card? This was the responce to an Amazon comment. Also, do you think audio will make a large distance in file size?

Does that seem about right?
I think you are right,but I have a 32GB sd card which do the work for me.Maybe you dont need last 8 hours of your driving,because,when you hit "urgent recording" button or G-sensor activates that video are going to be remembered on sd card until you format it,loop recording wont re-write it.So with the 32 GB card on 1080P 30fps I have last 3h30-45min of my driving.

I think you are right,but I have a 32GB sd card which do the work for me.Maybe you dont need last 8 hours of your driving,because,when you hit "urgent recording" button or G-sensor activates that video are going to be remembered on sd card until you format it,loop recording wont re-write it.So with the 32 GB card on 1080P 30fps I have last 3h30-45min of my driving.

Well regular driving I wouldn't need 64gb, but I'm going on an 8hr roadtrip, and I want to make a timelapse of the drive, so I won't be looping the video. After my trip, I will use it regularly. I asked this before, but does audio recording heavily impact the file size? If it will save alot of storage, then I will just mute it.

This hiw and where I mount my Yi,maybe too low,but its always at reach of my hand.I dont know if you can see on this picture but its a little below this black dotted area above inside rear view mirror.
be3adb651fd359bbca69d11d59d3bf24.jpg

Well regular driving I wouldn't need 64gb, but I'm going on an 8hr roadtrip, and I want to make a timelapse of the drive, so I won't be looping the video. After my trip, I will use it regularly. I asked this before, but does audio recording heavily impact the file size? If it will save alot of storage, then I will just mute it.
I really dont know about audio and does it affect to a file size,never crossed my mind to test that or to compare files with and without audio.

This hiw and where I mount my Yi,maybe too low,but its always at reach of my hand.I dont know if you can see on this picture but its a little below this black dotted area above inside rear view mirror.
be3adb651fd359bbca69d11d59d3bf24.jpg

There isn't a black dotted area on my car, but I know where it would be. Thanks for the picture. Is yours a suction cup, or a 3M sticker?

...so I won't be looping the video. ....
If you're not going to be loop recording the maximum file size will be 4GB. Some cameras when they hit that limit will stop recording while others will just start another large file. You'll be better off using loop recording then combining the smaller files to do your time lapse.

There isn't a black dotted area on my car, but I know where it would be. Thanks for the picture. Is yours a suction cup, or a 3M sticker?
Its suction cup,not a 3M mount(I was make a mistake before in thread saying that I got 2 suction cups,I got 1 suction cup mount and 1 3M tape mount).I am using suction cup mount for 2 reasons:1.surface of the suction cup is bigger than one on the 3M tape mount
2.This car in which Yi is installed is not mine,so because of moving/relocation of Yi I didnt use 3M tape mount.

If you're not going to be loop recording the maximum file size will be 4GB. Some cameras when they hit that limit will stop recording while others will just start another large file. You'll be better off using loop recording then combining the smaller files to do your time lapse.
I think you are wrong,every time I enter my Yi through the app and searching for some part of my previous driving and which didnt saved by triggering G-sensor or "urgent recording" button, I never saw a video file longer than 3 minutes(300-350MB).

So, once it reaches 4gb, it will start recording with a new file, and keep the old file?

So, once it reaches 4gb, it will start recording with a new file, and keep the old file?
Why not,when it has a 32 or 64GB space?Where do you find limit of 4GB?Why not 3,5GB or 4,5GB,why exactly 4GB?I dont know,maybe thats the case with other dashcams.I didnt saw it can reach a 4GB in one video file on my sd card,max 3min long or even shorter and max about 300-350MB file size.

Back