Best Idea Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all RAVpower power banks have the ability to do pass-through-charging. Very few power banks on the market do and very few of the RAVpower ones do.

Personally, I've been using power banks to run dash cams for many years. I use two 20,000 mAh power banks to run four cameras when I am parked and I charge them as needed when I return home at night. The simple fact is that power banks are not intended to be used in the manner in which you are using them. In fact, they were never designed to be use as full time power supplies. They were designed for periodic and occasional charging of devices like smartphones. Power banks were also never designed to be permanently installed in the boot of a car where they are constantly subjected to shocks, vibration and heat. (Despite your claim that you seldom have high temps in UK, you'd be amazed at how hot the trunk of a car can get when it is sitting in the sunshine.)

Just because your set-up has been working for three weeks is meaningless in the longer term scheme of things. Ultimately, pass-through-charging of a power bank that is not designed for it risks premature failure of the power bank as well as possible damage to your dash cams because a constantly charging power bank can rapidly switch on and off when it reaches the saturation point during the charging process. The charging circuitry in the battery bank gets confused when it is simultaneously charging and discharging. This is why a only power bank designed for pass-through-charging that has the appropriate charging circuitry is suitable for this.

This is an old topic here on DCT and there are countless threads and discussions about pass-through-charging. For some reason, it is very common to have a new member show up here on DCT and claim that using power banks permanently attached to a charging circuit (pass-through-charging) is a perfectly fine thing to do, yet when more knowledgeable and experienced members try to explain why doing so is not a wise thing to be doing they rationalize that it's really OK to do it anyway and reject everyone's advice.

This depends on the size of your car battery. If you have a small car with a tiny battery then it might make sense to use a secondary battery.
But if you have a car with a big battery and drive frequently you can simply use that one. No need to put power banks that aren't rated for the high temperatures in the car.
The ravpower is good for 90 centigrade in the car. That rarely, if ever occurs in the uk

First you are saying that dashcams baterries are rubbish than you are saying that a dashcam without a baterrie is a toy.
You are a little confused for an expert.
I was talking about dashcam batteries. The only purpose of a dascam baterrie is to save the file in progress before shutting itself down.
Most serious dashcams uses supercapacitors instead of baterries. They are more reliable in extreme heat.
So, in my opinion, from the start you have the wrong setup, since you have a dashcam with baterrie.

You are a little confused for an expert. I was talking about dashcam batteries. The only purpose of a dascam baterrie is to save the file in progress before shutting itself down.
Most serious dashcams uses supercapacitors instead of baterries. They are more reliable in extreme heat.
So, in my opinion, from the start you have the wrong setup, since you have a dashcam with baterrie.
I'm not confused in the least. Everything you say, I already knew. Capacitors are just another form of storing power, no more no less.
The battery doesn't only serve to store the clip, it also activates the dashcam to enable it to capture the clip. Pretty useless when it lasts 1-4 minutes.
All I can say is, learn by experience. When you need the footage and it's not available, only then will you realise how rubbish these dashcam batteries and so called supercapacitors are. We all have to learn the hard way, like I did. I will stick to my powerbanks and guaranteed footage until dashcam makers work out a better, more professional back up system than a capacitor that was used in cameras pre-1965

Last edited:
There are many, many powerbanks with pass through charging capability-

1. RAVPower 20000mAh 60W PD 3.0​

RAVPower 20000mAh 60W PD 3.0

• Capacity: 20000mAh
  • Max output: 60W
  • Ports: 1 USB Type C, 1 USB Type A
  • Charging Time: 3 hours
  • Passthrough Charging: Yes
  • Weight: 14.4 oz / 408 g
***THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE***

I didn't ask for "examples" of power banks that feature pass-through-charging. I asked which one YOU own. Secondly, despite your claim, there is no evidence that this particular power bank actually has "pass-through-charging".

Unless the official specs actually state "Pass-through-charging" the product doesn't have it. This is old argument here on the forum where someone "claims" a battery bank has the feature but it actually doesn't.

Why is it that none of the assertions you make are backed up with any evidence?

I didn't ask for "examples" of power banks that feature pass-through-charging. I asked which one YOU own. Secondly, despite your claim, there is no evidence that this particular power bank actually has "pass-through-charging".

Unless the official specs actually state "Pass-through-charging" the product doesn't have it. This is old argument here on the forum where someone "claims" a battery bank has the feature but it actually doesn't.

Why is it that none of the assertions you make are backed up with any evidence?
So the manufacturers are lying? It's in the specs. Read the specs lol,

Any dashcam that doesn't have a battery is a toy.

I'm not confused in the least. Everything you say, I already knew. Capacitors are just another form of storing power, no more no less.
The battery doesn't only serve to store the clip, it also activates the dashcam to enable it to capture the clip. Pretty useless when it lasts 1-4 minutes.

You've got to be kidding.

External power "activates the dashcam to enable it to capture the clip", a battery or super-capacitor saves the last clip at shut down. The battery is superfluous other than at shut-down. Super-capacitors have been proven to be far superior, more desirable and far more durable in a dash cam than a lithium battery. Dash cams that come with an internal battery these days tend to be far more toy-like than those that come with super-caps. Every experienced dash cam user knows this, except apparently, you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
With respect, I disagree with the 'toy' statement. I didn't buy a Nextbase and one of my main reasons was the internal battery instead of super caps. The numerous problem reports here of failed series 2 batteries backs that up. My other and main reason was the problems I previously had with the Nextbase ball joint mount and dashcam vibration over less than perfect road surfaces and the fact that with a ball joint you can't remove and replace the dashcam without having to realign it every time.

My current 'discrete' dashcam has been running flawlessly for just over 3 years now, and on the same card. However, I don't use parking mode so I'm hardwired to an IGN circuit.

I do agree about the powerbank approach as I queried back in 2018 :

You've got to be kidding. For a guy who claims to be an "expert" you seem to be fairly clueless.

External power "activates the dashcam to enable it to capture the clip", a battery or super-capacitor saves the last clip at shut down. The battery is superfluous other than at shut-down. Super-capacitors have been proven to be far superior, more desirable and far more durable in a dash cam than a lithium battery. Dash cams that come with an internal battery these days tend to be far more toy-like than those that come with super-caps. Every experienced dash cam user knows this, except apparently, you!

I have been involved with a massive project involving recording devices in vehicles.
I suggest you look at the reviews on these so called professional cameras you are pointing towards. Tech specs and what they are "supposed" to do is great, but in the real world, reviews are what count, not sales babble.

I'm here to give my professional opinion based not only on my experience but on the experience of the fleet company I was a part of.

But if I base my experience on my own dashcams (as you are doing), then this is the outcome.

As for clueless, the company I worked for installed 6,500 units using powerbanks. We had 18 failed batteries withing three years. Go check those figures with the so called super capacitors.

Anyhow, back to my own experience with powerbanks.

I have two 522gw dashcams. Both connected to independent ravpowers.

Both cameras have been operational while driving and in parking mode.

Both ravpowers have a high capacity cable connecting them to the cigarette lighter socket.

Both cams have been operational for three weeks.
Not a single video clip has been lost.

I drive on average 250 miles per week.
The ravpowers started at 100% and are now at 98% and running fine.

A hardwire (toy install, used to rake on add on cash on top of dashcam sale) costs £70.00.
Ravpowers cost £35.00 each.

I am sorry if this affects stores incomes for add on sales but I am here to give MY opinion, not the opinion of others.

Meanwhile I strongly suggest you look at the reviews of these cameras with supercapacitor. Here is just one but if you go on trust pilot, you will find a tsunami of complaints, my neighbour included (who now has my set up).

Review
"I bought the thinkware dashcam F770,front and rear.I got it hard wired for the parking mode recording.
The big issue with adding these dashcams to your car is that it drains the battery.My car has starting alarming the battery is low and car engine needs starting. I have ended up switching off parking mode recording".

**Send me a link to the supercap dashcam you are talking about so I can do my own research**

My setup works for me and my neighbour. You just have to find and be content with what works for you :)

If your a dashcam fitter, I apologise but I understand you concern with lost business, sorry

With respect, I disagree with the 'toy' statement. I didn't buy a Nextbase and one of my main reasons was the internal battery instead of super caps. The numerous problem reports here of failed series 2 batteries backs that up. My other and main reason was the problems I previously had with the Nextbase ball joint mount and dashcam vibration over less than perfect road surfaces and the fact that with a ball joint you can't remove and replace the dashcam without having to realign it every time.

My current 'discrete' dashcam has been running flawlessly for just over 3 years now, and on the same card. However, I don't use parking mode so I'm hardwired to an IGN circuit.

I do agree about the powerbank approach as I queried back in 2018 :

Hi thanks for your reply.
Yes, I agree about nextbase if you had issues. I had issues with earlier models but the new 522gw is nothing short of amazing. Discrete cams are definitely the way to go tho.
Most people on here using power banks haven't a clue to what they are doing and so fail miserably. If you use high quality cables and you drive often, the Powerbank, which must be a Passthrough type will last three years plus.
I was in the doctors several months ago. A guy came in and said his car has been damaged. No parking mode.
The worst part is, he turned it off because he said it was draining his car battery. A £400 dashcam with no parking mode and £70 hardwire fee.
The stores laughing all the way to the bank while he is left with nothing.....

If you go on the stores websites and look at the reviews on hardwired dashcams, it's dreadful. The majority of people are turning them off. My neighbour ripped his out. Three week old suv.
He has now bought the powerbanks and is happy as Larry.
Even if you have to do a manual charge every three months its better than not having footage. Ought worse than having a dashcam with a damaged car and no footage.

Show us!

https://www.ravpower.com/collections/power-bank

Currently, I don't see ANY RAVpower power banks that feature pass-through charging. Formerly, there were two models.
I must have been lucky. I purchased mine several years ago and they function as new.
Checkout the Powercore Fusion 5000 Powerbank. Apparently, it would charge the dashcam until it detects trickle output and then charge itself. That technology is probably better than pass through!

I spent twenty minutes and came across four powerbanks with Passthrough. Please spend the time doing research as I haven't got the time to wet nurse everyone :)

"The pass-through function allows you to simultaneously recharge the charger as well as your mobile phones. The battery recharges fully in 4 hours. Battery charge indicator on LED indicators"

Last edited:
One thing I'd watch is the 522 internal battery.

I assume that your 24/7 power means the internal battery is always on charge so is always at 100% ?

I've read somewhere that this is not a good idea. The article was for mobile phones and why leaving them on charge after they reach 100% can shorten their life.

I'm actually surprised dashcams with batteries have them soldered to the PCB and not user quickly replaceable via a slot like other devices.

I must have been lucky. I purchased mine several years ago and they function as new.
Checkout the Powercore Fusion 5000 Powerbank. Apparently, it would charge the dashcam until it detects trickle output and then charge itself. That technology is probably better than pass through!

One thing I'd watch is the 522 internal battery.

I assume that your 24/7 power means the internal battery is always on charge so is always at 100% ?

I've read somewhere that this is not a good idea. The article was for mobile phones and why leaving them on charge after they reach 100% can shorten their life.

I'm actually surprised dashcams with batteries have them soldered to the PCB and not user quickly replaceable via a slot like other devices.
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
No sorry my mistake.
The dashcam enters parking mode when parked up. I've checked with a milli amp meter and current drain in this mode is fractional.
Hope that helps :)

Ah, got you. So the powerbank is just replacing the car battery. If it works the the jobs a goodun

I have been involved with a massive project involving recording devices in vehicles.
I suggest you look at the reviews on these so called professional cameras you are pointing towards. Tech specs and what they are "supposed" to do is great, but in the real world, reviews are what count, not sales babble.

I'm here to give my professional opinion based not only on my experience but on the experience of the fleet company I was a part of.

But if I base my experience on my own dashcams (as you are doing), then this is the outcome.

As for clueless, the company I worked for installed 6,500 units using powerbanks. We had 18 failed batteries withing three years. Go check those figures with the so called super capacitors.

Anyhow, back to my own experience with powerbanks.

Both cameras have been operational while driving and in parking mode.

Both ravpowers have a high capacity cable connecting them to the cigarette lighter socket.

I drive on average 250 miles per week.
The ravpowers started at 100% and are now at 98% and running fine.

A hardwire (toy install, used to rake on add on cash on top of dashcam sale) costs £70.00.
Ravpowers cost £35.00 each.

I am sorry if this affects stores incomes for add on sales but I am here to give MY opinion, not the opinion of others.

Meanwhile I strongly suggest you look at the reviews of these cameras with supercapacitor. Here is just one but if you go on trust pilot, you will find a tsunami of complaints, my neighbour included (who now has my set up).

Review
"I bought the thinkware dashcam F770,front and rear.I got it hard wired for the parking mode recording.
The big issue with adding these dashcams to your car is that it drains the battery.My car has starting alarming the battery is low and car engine needs starting. I have ended up switching off parking mode recording".

**Send me a link to the supercap dashcam you are talking about so I can do my own research**

My setup works for me and my neighbour. You just have to find and be content with what works for you :)

If your a dashcam fitter, I apologise but I understand you concern with lost business, sorry

As for my "experience" , I will say this. Unlike you, I have owned and/or tested literally dozens of dash cams over the last 12 years under all kinds of conditions and that depth of experience has taught me a thing or two. I wouldn't own a dash cam with an internal lithium-ion battery under ANY circumstances and there are many, many other highly experienced dash cam owns on this forum who feel the same way. Dash cams with internal lithium batteries area kind of a fools errand. Sooner or later they tend to fail, sometimes catastrophically so, and they do so when you least expect it. Cameras with super-capacitors on the other hand function well in all kinds of temperature extremes and they tend to be extraordinarily reliable. Nextbase is one of the few name brand dash cams that continue to rely on the questionable practice of using lithium-polymer internal batteries and for this reason many folks avoid them.

This is a very weird statement, mate. It gives the impression that you have no inkling about what super-capacitors are and how they are used in dash cams. One thing is certain and that is that super-capacitors installed in dash cams in lieu of lithium batteries have literally NOTHING to do with power banks or the use of power banks.

So, my question is: Why are you even comparing the two? Either this is just another futile attempt at distraction from your empty arguments or you don't know what you are talking about. This is essentially the same kind of thing you did earlier in this thread when you claimed to be very experienced with ni-cad batteries but yet again is something that has no relationship with dash cams or power banks. Very, very few devices these days still even use nickel-cadmium batteries.

WOW! Three whole weeks! :smuggrin:

I wouldn't recommend betting the farm on a three week anecdotal experience like that, but be my guest! :rolleyes:

In reality, it can take months of testing to determine if an installation is truly reliable and in your case, even viable depending on what power bank(s) you really do or don't have.

Some people do what you are doing with your always connected power bank but it is known to be a questionable practice. There's no law against it, but it can cause a great deal of stress on the cells in the power bank and can also potentially damage your cameras. So the fact that you've had no problems for three weeks so far doesn't mean you are home free and what you are doing may turn out to not be "The Best Idea Ever" after all. That was the point of my raising these questions. You seem to think you know better than all the other people who've been talking about and sharing their experiences about using powerbanks here on the forum since years before you became a member a few days ago.

I don't know what you hope to accomplish with a diatribe like this, full of empty boasting, insults and innuendo. This is a typical pattern we see here on the forum from time to time when a new member shows up making claims they can't substantiate, and when facts they don't want to hear are put forth they resort to posts like yours.

So far all we've gotten from you are self righteous assertions, anecdotal expereinces and your own opinions but no evidence or facts. And for all the self-aggrandizing bluster about allegedly installing 6,500 units using power banks you don't (can't?) provide any evidence regarding the actual product details of what you are talking about. There is no indication that your "project" (which sounds like it involved commercial fleet management) has any bearing on the requirements for the consumer level dash cam market we usually focus on here at DCT.

I really don't care to have you put words in my mouth, like for example when you stated, "I suggest you look at the reviews on these so called professional cameras you are pointing towards." Please show me a single instance where I mentioned a " professional camera" in this thread. You can't ! False accusations are simply an attempt at distraction.

As for my "experience" , I will say this. Unlike you, I have owned and/or tested literally dozens of dash cams over the last 12 years under all kinds of conditions and that depth of experience has taught me a thing or two. I wouldn't own a dash cam with an internal lithium-ion battery under ANY circumstances and there are many, many other highly experienced dash cam owns on this forum who feel the same way. Dash cams with internal lithium batteries are fools errand. Sooner or later they tend to fail, sometimes catastrophically so, and they do so when you least expect it. Cameras with super-capacitors on the other hand function well in all kinds of temperature extremes and they tend to me extraordinarily reliable. Nextbase is one of the few name brand dash cams that continue to rely on the questionable practice of using lithium-polymer internal batteries and for this reason many folks avoid them.

This is a very weird statement, mate. It gives the impression that you have no inkling about what super-capacitors are and how they are used in dash cams. One things is certain and that is that super-capacitors installed in dash cams in lieu of lithium batteries have literally NOTHING to do with power banks or the use of power banks. So, my question is: Why are you even comparing the two? Either this is just another futile attempt at distraction from your empty arguments or you really are clueless after all. This is essentially the same kind of thing you did earlier in this thread when claimed to be very experienced with ni-cad batteries; yet another reference to something that has no bearing on dash cams.

WOW! Three whole weeks! :smuggrin:

I wouldn't recommend betting the farm on a three week anecdotal experience like that, but be my guest! :rolleyes:

In reality it can take months of testing to determine if an installation is truly reliable and in your case even viable.
I'm not on here to argue. I gave my opinion. Check back on the threads my friend. You began with insulting words like "clueless".
You really need to chill.
Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean others won't. If you don't like my setup, go find another thread to troll.
Im content with my experience and setup.
As for insults. Anyone who looks back on this thread can clearly see who was first off the mark with them.
As for evidence. This is a forum, not a court. I expressed my set up. You don't like it, tough. Move on. I am not interested in debating my opinion with trolls.

Calling someone a "little confused for an expert* and" You've got to be kidding. For a guy who claims to be an "expert" you seem to be fairly clueless"

Is I'm sure in everyone's opinion an insult. Like I say, you are first off the mark with the insults. My setup must clearly be putting you at a loss with hardwiring. That's tough but life. People have a right to know what a waste of cash that is!
Good day, move on, plenty of other threads to haunt with your insults.

I spent twenty minutes and came across four powerbanks with Passthrough. Please spend the time doing research as I haven't got the time to wet nurse everyone :)

"The pass-through function allows you to simultaneously recharge the charger as well as your mobile phones. The battery recharges fully in 4 hours. Battery charge indicator on LED indicators"

Several times now, I've asked you a very simple question. What model RAVpower power bank do you own? For some odd reason you won't or perhaps can't provide an answer. Instead, you keep changing the subject. Like last time you keep talking about finding power banks on the internet that you claim can handle pass through charging, but that wasn't the question.

All that you would need to do to answer the question is read the model number printed on the product.

Any why post a link to a cheap generic power bank you found online? You apparently are not aware that there are many generic Chinese power bank manufacturers who "claim" that their banks can do pass-through charging but like the one you linked to they really don't, especially at that price! Cheap generic power banks have been a scourge on the internet and they have a bad habit of catching fire or failing miserably and the purchaser then finds he has no recourse when the product dies. No knowledgeable dash came owner in their right mind would purchase a power bank like that. There are VERY few legitimate pass through charging power banks available on the market and they should only be purchased from name brand manufacturers that offer customer support and a decent warranty. Unless the manufacturer specifically states that a unit has pass through charging one should assume that it doesn't.

Why do you want me to check out the Powercore fusion 5000? It is not suitable for dash cam use as it is a hybrid charger/powerbank and is only 5000 mAh . It is designed to be plugged into a wall outlet. It is manufactured by Anker, not RAVpower and it does not feature pass through charging. Anker recommends disconnecting devices when charging or disabling the device when using this product. Again, why are you posting stuff that has nothing to do with the question of which RAVpower bank you claim to own?

powercore.jpg

Speaking of Anker power banks, at one time, they sold power banks that claimed to be capable of pass-through-charging. Too many people reported problems. The result was that they stopped selling "pass-through-charging power banks years ago and explained why publicly. They state that you can damage both the power bank as well as the device it is powering . So, currently, no Anker power banks offer the feature including the Powercore Fusion 5000. A

anker.jpg

anker1.jpg

I got two Nextbase 522GW Dashcams.
I then installed a standard 20,000AH Powerbank such as those for charging mobile phones I connected both dashcams to the Powerbank

It's very curious, PeteTheGreek, you started out this thread claiming that you have one "standard" power bank into which you plug both of your dash cams. Only hours later you claimed to have two RAVpower power banks (that you refuse to identify) plugged into each of your cameras. Something doesn't add up here.

Last edited:
Several times now, I've asked you a very simple question. What model RAVpower power bank do you own? For some odd reason you won't or perhaps can't provide an answer. Instead, you keep changing the subject. Like last time you keep talking about finding power banks on the internet that you claim can handle pass through charging, but that wasn't the question.

All that you would need to do to answer the question is read the model number printed on the product.

Any why post a link to a cheap generic power bank you found online? You apparently are not aware that there are many generic Chinese power bank manufacturers who "claim" that their banks can do pass-through charging but like the one you linked to they really don't, especially at that price! Cheap generic power banks have been a scourge on the internet and they have a bad habit of catching fire or failing miserably and the purchaser then finds he has no recourse when the product dies. No knowledgeable dash came owner in their right mind would purchase a power bank like that. There are VERY few legitimate pass through charging power banks available on the market and they should only be purchased from name brand manufacturers that offer customer support and a decent warranty. Unless the manufacturer specifically states that a unit has pass through charging one should assume that it doesn't.

Why do you want me to check out the Powercore fusion 5000? It is not suitable for dash cam use as it is a hybrid charger/powerbank and is only 5000 mAh . It is designed to be plugged into a wall outlet. It is manufactured by Anker, not RAVpower and it does not feature pass through charging. Anker recommends disconnecting devices when charging or disabling the device when using this product. Again, why are you posting stuff that has nothing to do with the question of which RAVpower bank you claim to own?

View attachment 60350

Speaking of Anker power banks, at one time, they sold power banks that claimed to be capable of pass-through-charging. Too many people reported problems. The result was that they stopped selling "pass-through-charging power banks years ago and explained why publicly. They state that you can damage both the power bank as well as the device it is powering . So, currently, no Anker power banks offer the feature including the Powercore Fusion 5000. A

View attachment 60351

View attachment 60352

It's very curious, PeteTheGreek, you started out this thread claiming that you have one power bank into which you plug both of your dash cams. Only hours later you claim to have two RAVpower power banks (that you refuse to identify) plugged into each of your cameras. Something doesn't add up here.
Ooh it must be a Russian conspiracy
I gave my opinion. You clearly want to cross examine people. My opinion is rock solid. The first was a typo. I have six powerbanks all over the house. My wife uses one too.
You really need to calm down. If you don't like my setup move on, simples

View attachment 60350

View attachment 60351

View attachment 60352

It's very curious, PeteTheGreek, you started out this thread claiming that you have one "standard" power bank into which you plug both of your dash cams. Only hours later you claimed to have two RAVpower power banks (that you refuse to identify) plugged into each of your cameras. Something doesn't add up here.
Maybe I added a second to the rear cam?
Oh, hang on that would be sacrilege! Bring out the whip. 60 lashes for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back